The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 25, 2001, 06:54 PM   #1
Nightcrawler

It's settled! As soon as my Winchester 94 gets back from the shop, I'm going to trade it for a nice used M870! I'll probably have money left over from the deal, too! Woo-hoo!
Old May 25, 2001, 10:21 PM   #2
Nightcrawler

Actually...

Maybe I can sell the Winchester 94 to the shop I'm getting it fixed at (it's not broken, just needed to be reassembled and have a missing screw replaced, which is taking time to get back) minus the repair fee. Then I can buy the used 870. There isn't much of a market for shotguns aroud here this time of year, especially one with a trap barrel. It's an 870 Express model, doesn't appear to have any kind of a locking saftey. It does have a warning label on the barrel, so its of recent manufacture. I can't tell if it's a 2.75" or a 3" model; all the barrel says is don't use 3" shells on non-magnum receivers, or something like that.

I think after I get it I'll get the big 10 round magazine extension. This is just a fun gun anyhoo, so...

Don't know what choke it has on it. Chokes give me the creeps, to be honest. I like to shoot slugs, and I'm always worried one won't pass through the choke and I'll have a barrel kaboom in my face. Paranoid, probably, I know.
Old May 26, 2001, 01:12 AM   #3
DML

If it's an Express, I'm almost positive that it will handle 3" magnums. It may have screw-in chokes. Don't worry about shooting slugs. The common Foster type slugs are designed to
shoot through a full choke with out damage to the barrel. However, it isn't recommended.

10 shot magazine tube extension? Expect problems.

By the way, the latest barrels from Remington don't have the warning stamp any more.
Old May 26, 2001, 04:13 AM   #4
Nightcrawler

Problems?

With what? Adding extra weight to the gun will reduce recoil. It might be a little cumbersome, but I'm not trying to bag rabbits or clays here. Most of my plinking targets are quite stationary.

Anyway, it's sad, but Remington doesn't seem to MAKE 18.5" cylinder bore riot barrels anymore. Mossberg, a competitor, makes them and Cabela's has them for $80.00. The closest thing Rem has these days is a 20" IC choked rifled sighted barrel. Rifle sights aren't necessary or particularly useful for home defense ranges with buckshot. The only exception to this (excluding Remington Law Enforcement) seems to be the 870 Stainless Marine, which comes standard with a cylinder bore bead sighted barrel and an extended magazine tube. Frankly, if you want a really good security 870, and are willing to spend the money, I'd suggest getting a Scattergun Technologies Border Patrol model. You can either buy one from them or send them your 870 and they'll build it for you.

However, I'll be paying $129 for the gun. While I might save up and get the shorter barrel from Mossberg, I'll probably just have the 26" trap barrel cut down by my local smith for $25, and he'll even replace the bead. I may even get some fiber optic turkey sights, which basically resemble typical three-dot pistol sights, and bolt right onto the rib with no gunsmithing ($20.00 or so from Cabela's).

Now, being that this 870 is going to be my primary do all gun for awhile (I don't hunt, though I like to know I could), what would be the best barrel length? 19", 20", 22"..?
Old May 26, 2001, 09:56 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

(Sigh)....

Congrats on the 870. Now, let me try to save you some money and frustration.

The ONLY 10 round mag I've seen used in competition was on an 1100 wielded by a young construction worker of about 6'5", and well over 300 lbs.He didn't do well.Did see him several times, so maybe he kept with it and became proficient, as well as very strong.BTW, the balance point on that thing was well forward of between the hands, unless he hid a brick in the stock.

I've shortened several 870 bbls, and lived to regret same. My HD 870 had a 28" Full Choke bbl, and a used riot bbl at that time could have been picked up for $50. The year after I shortened the bbl that's now on Frankenstein to 21", Remington came out with their Turkey bbl. And I had to hog out some wood from the stock because it was a bit too muzzle light and the balance point was too far back.

Shoot your 870 as is for 6 months, which will give you a chance to save up for whatever mods and accessories you want. Carry it and enjoy the swing, point, shoot routine on whatever game or clay you like. If at that point in time you can't stand having that bbl that length, let me know and I'll find a short, fixed choke bbl and we'll swap. Let's make that the 1st of the year, I'm always busier in the Fall.
Old May 26, 2001, 12:56 PM   #6
Romulus

Dave, how do you find the balance point for a shotgun?

Your regrets about shortening a good barrel are quite familiar. When my 870 express was new in the early '90s, i was GIVEN a beautiful 2.75 wingmaster barrel, i'd say 28" but i'm not sure - it was looooong. Between this beauty and the boulder-blasted Express barrel, guess which one I agreed to have chopped to riot size...sob sob!!!
Old May 26, 2001, 03:49 PM   #7
DML

Nightcrawler:

You must have some info that isn't available to me. Since when has Remington stopped production of 18" barrels? They still make the HD model and the Police Magnum. I wonder what they use for barrels. If you are talking about general availability, I agree, they are hard to find. Remember, that guy across the counter who's trying to sell you something can spout anything he wants to. Most of the time it's something he heard from someone else who heard it from someone else, etc, etc.

The problems you MAY have with your 10 shot extension will be with reliability. The 870 has a 4 shot magazine tube. That means that you will be jamming 6 rounds into the extension and compressing a very long spring subjecting it to kinking. I've seen enough problems with just a 2 shot extension, but it's your gun, do what you want.
Old May 26, 2001, 04:05 PM   #8
Nightcrawler

Delays

The guy that runs the shop where my Winchester (the bargaining chip with which I'm going acquire said 870) is on vacation until Wednesday. *sigh*

I've done a little more digging, and I found Remington's HD shotgun. http://www.remington.com/firearms/sh...70expsyn18.htm So they still make 'em after all! It was just kind of hidden. I wonder how come, in all of the catalogs where they sell Remington factory barrels, they don't have any 18.5" Cylinder Bore models? Does Remington not like to sell them seperately anymore? That's okay. I can buy a Remington barrel from Mossberg. How's that for irony?
Old May 27, 2001, 08:24 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Rom, balance the EMPTY shotgun on a finger placed just about three inches in front of the trigger guard.Both Frankenstein and the TB balance at the front of the loading port.

Doubles should balance around the hinge pin. There's room for personal choices in this as well as mission. For upland hunting, I like slightly more muzzle light shotguns compared to clay game and "Serious" shotguns. I do NOT like extremes of either for anything.

Remember the balance will be affected by the loads when full. It's not a problem, just something to get used to.

And, we know about 20-20 hindsight(G)....