The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 16, 2000, 06:06 PM   #1
Battler

I have a near-new SS Kimber Compact that was sometimes failing to feed. A guy at the range, thinking it was hanging up on the feed lips, VERY lightly oiled/wiped my mags' inner lips with CLP, and the problem went away (I'm fairly sure it's gone, it had been happening a lot before and then went away for ~150 rounds after the oiling).

This was very little oil - sprayed his finger, wiped it off, then wiped inside.

The problem was occurring with my 3 shooting star magazines (including the 1 ss that came with the gun in the box).

The mag lips don't seem rough to me or anything; but I was wondering - while this cured the problem, should I consider the mags the cause, or something else?

Could the recoil spring (on my near new gun) be too weak to push the rounds clear of the feed lips? Should I try replacing the recoil spring with stock strength spring (22#) or stronger (24#)? The current spring is stock; but I have no way of knowing if (even though almost brand new) it is in perfect shape.

What SHOULD I be doing to fix this? I know the oil is probably a no-no.

thanks,
Battler.

Old April 16, 2000, 07:51 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

First, remember that the gun is near-new and may require a breaking in period before it'll run smoothly.

Also consider the type of ammunition you're using. Your gun may not like it. Have you tried hardball for the first 1k rounds? Hardball because it is the easiest for a .45 to feed. SWC tends to be a little tough, especially if the ramp isn't polished.

I would also consider trying different magazines before cutting the recoil spring. The spring was designed to provide a certain amount of tension to slow down the unlocking. You don't want the gun to unlock too fast. Also, look at the magazine lips. They may have to be reformed or even honed with a stone to remove any burrs or rough spots.

Good luck and post again if you're still running into feeding problems.
Old April 16, 2000, 07:54 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Generalizing, most of the time a failure to feed--especially with hard-ball ammo--is due to the angle of the lips of the magazine not being quite right.

If the nose of the cartridge hits high on the breech, the lips are too wide. If the cartridge hits low and has no upward angle as it leaves the magazine, the lips are too tight.

All I've ever known to do is take needle-nose pliers and "mess with" the feed lips until they work. It has never been difficult.

Some of my magazines have been home-modified to hold eight rounds. In these, the spring has had a "Z" cut out of it, making it very soft as compared to stock. I have no feeding problems from these mags. So, to me, magazine springs are not any problem. I ran some 200 rounds out of these mags a couple of days ago...

As far as the recoil spring's strength: You should be able to use a very light spring for use with plinker loads and still have the pistol feed and cycle properly. Think of the race guns used for the Steel Challenge, with their pipsqueak loads.

And that's all I know. Anybody wants the Guru's robe is welcome to it...

Regards, Art
Old April 16, 2000, 08:20 PM   #4
Battler

Thanks.

The problems were with hardball (ironically, during the "failure period" all the 185gr hollowpoints worked fine).

I guess I'll order a Wilson - something different to compare with.

thanks,
Battler.
Old April 17, 2000, 08:48 PM   #5
HankL

One point to ponder here. I picked up a Colt Delta 10 MM some years back that was sort of tricked out. It came with 1 SS mag and two Wilson's. The Wilson's have a rounded follower and hold one less round than the Shooting Star. Never a problem with the Wilson mags. Go figure!
Old April 17, 2000, 10:13 PM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Battler, try a Wilson mag. The McCormick mags just aren't very good on the whole. I have been through several myself as well as a bunch for my customers and many malfunctions occured that were "fixed" by going to different mags. George
Old April 17, 2000, 11:34 PM   #7
Battler

Ordered 2 Wilsons this morning on their web site.

(I may call them up as well - I've had experiences with smaller retailers "ignoring" web site orders before - not that I have any reason to suspect a problem, just eager to get my new mags!!).

thanks, all.
Battler.

Old April 18, 2000, 09:25 AM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I seem to remember my old Geometry teacher saying that a tangent line or a tangent arc touches a circle at one and only one point. Conclusion: Curved magazine followers help in only one kind of feeding - feeding money from the customer's pocket into that of the manufacturer.

Jim
Old April 18, 2000, 07:34 PM   #9
HankL

Jim, I'm not trying to say that the shape of the follower had a thing in the world to to with the way my particular pistol functions.
I have shot less than 3000 rounds through it so I really don't know, just an observation.
HTH