The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 11, 2000, 09:23 PM   #1
smitty21

I am stationed here in Va. at Langley, and I am trying to find a decent hunting spot. So far I've hunted Chickahominy and Amelia WMA's. IMHO, they weren't all that great. Does anyone know of any good areas or does anyone have some private land they are willing to share?
Old October 12, 2000, 10:51 AM   #2
Poodleshooter

Looking for private land? Join the club!!! I'm over in Charlottesville- almost a week into bow season and I'm still trying to get permission to hunt local land. If you're military, check out the hunting clubs that some posts have-you may be able to hunt large tracts of public land that is accessible to DOD or military only. I was a member of one at Ft. Meade,MD.
Old October 12, 2000, 01:04 PM   #3
CD1

Smitty,

Check Ft Belvoir and Quantico Marine Base. I know both bases have archery areas and plenty of deer. Let us know how you do.
Old October 13, 2000, 05:02 PM   #4
Dogger

Check out Fort AP Hill near Richmond, too. I have hunted Quantico in years past, but it is a hassle having to check in and check out of the game station each time you hunt. So I head west, for national forest land. Easy for me to say, as it is only 1 hour away for me. Do you bowhunt? That will allow you to get into some of the WMA with less hunting pressure. Introduce yourself to property owners who are battling deer eating everything. They tend to be amenable to bow hunters, at least in NVa...
Old October 15, 2000, 04:28 PM   #5
griz

If you are military you can go to Fort Eustis which is close to Langley. In Surry there is Hog Island which has a section open to the public. Part of the island is bow hunting only so check before you go.