The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2002, 04:51 PM   #1
ocabj

870 Misc Parts

I've had my 870 Express Magnum 18.5" with 2 shot factory extension (6+1) stock for over a year now. I've put a bit of 00 and slugs through it and it's great.

I just recently ordered and installed a SureFire Forearm mounted light (918FA) and a TacStar 6 shell Sidesaddle.

When I was at a local firearms dealer, the salesman showed me a Wilson Combat 870 with a SureFire light, ghost rings, and sidesaddle. He said it also had a stronger mag spring and a different follower and I became interested in putting a newer spring and a bright follower in my own weapon.

***Who makes stronger, high quality magazine springs and the magazine followers for the 870?***

I figure it would be nice to replace the springs on a regular basis, anyway.

On another note, I'm still debating the whole ghost ring route. I like the bead sight because I seem to be able to acquire targets quickly with it and I'm not concentrating on lining up a front and rear aperture. If I do go ghost rings, I'll most likely buy another 870 (or maybe even an 1187 police model) and put ghost rings on that.

I'd also like to try a Vang Comp barrel, but it's a little pricey and I want to get an 1187P and a 700P before anything else...
Old July 31, 2002, 05:10 PM   #2
notos&w

***Who makes stronger, high quality magazine springs and the magazine followers for the 870?***

scattergun technologies.

brownells sells the 7 shot performance package (follower and springs) for $15.00
part no. 800-120-007
Old July 31, 2002, 05:24 PM   #3
stinger

Quote:
I figure it would be nice to replace the springs on a regular basis, anyway.
I can't imagine why it would be necessary. Maybe if the spring was always compressed to its limit it would be necessary once (possibly twice) in the course of a lifetime. That is considering no faulty parts.

Stinger
Old July 31, 2002, 05:42 PM   #4
ocabj

stinger: I don't keep the mag fully loaded, but I do keep a few shells in it since it's a bedside duty weapon.

notos&w: Thanks for the product number. I wasn't aware Wolff made the springs for the 870. Matter of fact, I forgot all about Wolff (last time i ordered springs from them was for my Glock 27).
Old August 1, 2002, 03:52 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The original mag spring from my 1950 made 870 is around here someplace. identical to a new one, it was compressed for a decade or so before I went o an extension.

Replace them if you want, but it's probably unnecessary....