The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 24, 2012, 11:25 AM   #76
Cheapshooter

Quote:
A lot of Khar CM9 owners, including myself, shoot Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot +P. The little gun seems to like it and it is a very good performing bullet. YMMV.
YUP, here's one! My CM9 runs perfect with Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P Short Barrel. It functions perfectly, and is very accurate in the short tube. The recoil is a bit snappy, but completely controllable.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 25, 2012, 09:35 PM   #77
Redhawk5.5+P+

Post# 2

Quote:
Corbon 115 JHP+P
I had jamming problems with that. Happen over and over.
Old July 26, 2012, 06:47 AM   #78
Blindjim

I would reitterate...

as it's likely been said already, try a bunch of ammo from various makers, and even some of their models as well. Each gun shoots different ammo differently.

".... I suspect more than a few types of ammo are going to work very well for you, especially if you fire first and more accurately than the bad guy. Then at that point some WAlly World even FMJ or even a wad cutter placed in a critical spot (brain or heart) should be good enough."

some great numbers of penetration and expansion with one sort of ammo, might not be able to give you & your gun quite those exact same numbers. unless of course, they were shooting the same gun they did which yielded those numbers.

even the same gun with a different length barrel shoots the same ammo providing dissimilar ends.

Common sense says many of the newer hi tech hi pressure hollow point semi jacketed ammo is going to preform very well and likely be just fine.

from what I've read online it's about the speed of the round which allows the bullet to blossom completely. It seems too that the speed indicates accuracy as well for different length barrels. It's not so much the weight of the round itself. One prevalent reviewer uses very often, as many as seven or more types of ammo in the handgun he reviews and each sort of ammo results in different size groups every time!

so one can go by those results IF they buy the same gun and the same/best resulting ammo being fired.

Otherwise, when reporting what ammo someone prefers, it's merely a subjective account on what makes that person, with a particular pistol, feel confident... and such confidence should be derived from testing ammo in their own carry gun (s).

Consequently, when asking for what ammo is best, it should be a request such as, "what's the best ammo for the "yada yada"" pistol with a "XXX" length barre..... otherwise you might end up shooting less than optimally while in the dark.

the length of your barrel & model of gun are tremendous factors in trying to achieve the best results with any ammo and those items should be disclosed by posters when they are reporting what they believe is best.

but again... I suspect more than a few types of ammo are going to work very well for whatever brand gun in whatever length barrel, especially if you fire first and more accurately than the bad guy. Then at that point some WAlly World even FMJ or even a wad cutter placed in a critical spot (brain or heart) should be good enough.

I shoot Hornady in all of my weapons, long and short barreled. Carbine and shotgun. I'm secure enough using Critical defense, TAP, non + p, and +p. All are JHP except for the 12ga., naturally. Good luck!
Will Rogers said, "there's 3 sorts of people in this world, those who learn by books, those who learn by the experiences of others, and those who just have to pee on the electric fence every now and then."

.... for me, life becomes less and less shocking with every pull of the trigger.
Old September 28, 2012, 12:56 PM   #79
Boedy

New member here

Hello all, I am a new member here and wish I would have come here sooner. There is always great debate over 9mm and 45 ACP. Truth is, new advances in 9mm ammunition has closed the gap between the two considerably, to the point where the 9mm may be the better option for most. Here is a link I ran across that does a pretty good job explaining the different, and preferred, defense ammunition. This article covers everything from 22LR on up. It's worth the read.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm
Old September 28, 2012, 09:00 PM   #80

For 9mm, I usually go with a premium 147 gr. JHP- HST, PDX1, GoldDot, Ranger Talon. Best all-around choice.
Old September 30, 2012, 05:33 PM   #81
fullsize only

Fmj. Guaranteed to penetrate the skull. Guaranteed to go through heavy clothing and get the 12" penetration the FBI says is adequate. Put in the range time, and your shot placement will make fmj you're round of choice too. When an fmj hits a bone it shatters it and keeps going to make an exit wound requiring surgery. Jhps may get lodged in a rib or fragment when it hits bone, which causes damage and will make major wound. But just keep in mind, the u.s. military carries fmjs for reliability and penetration, that's good for me. Again, range time will make your shot placement so good, that even a 300 lbs crook in a biker jacket and a brain bucket won't have a prayer. Hypothetically speaking of course.
Old September 30, 2012, 06:25 PM   #82
PT-92

Fullsize,

I am not saying FMJ is "ineffective" by any means. There's just a chance of the projectile passing through the body cleanly (a sure shot is not always possible) and that if it does it hits some kid across the hall/street etc...

That’s why IMO Hornady's 9MM 135 gr FlexLock Critical DUTY gives you the best of both worlds in that the HP is filled rendering any potential "clogging" of the bullet's nose with any kind of matter no longer a concern. Yet you still get the FMJ penetration absent the fear of over penetration.

I get what you are saying so I guess if I lived on a farm or wherever collateral damage was not a concern I would feel just fine using old fashion ball ammo.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:26 PM   #83
fullsize only

Great point PT. but proper training will make you subconsciously move to a clear shot or not take the shot even if u got hp mmo as you stated. Dynamic situations will occur so that's why I don't shoot at the ranges much, I go to the field and incorporate movements, weapon manipulation nd taking cover while engaging multi targets.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:50 PM   #84
Moyer

To sum up almost every 9mm thread on the internet:

Avoid 115gr and anything lighter, especially the standard pressure stuff. Make sure whatever you choose shoots reliably in your gun.

I would add that many people advise to practice with the same bullet weight as you carry. Since almost all of the cheap practice ammo is 115gr, this may be a factor for you. Personally, I don't notice enough of a difference between 127gr & 115 to worry about it, but I haven't really tested 147gr yet.
Old October 2, 2012, 03:20 AM   #85
fun2shoot

Fiocchi 115 gr jhp Speer gold dot 115 gr jhp.
Old October 3, 2012, 03:00 AM   #86
iraiam

IMO It's mostly a non issue, as most all SD ammunition is designed to meet the same penetration and expansion standards.

regardless of caliber and bullet weight they should all penetrate a certain distance and expand a certain percentage. These will usually all be laboratory test conditions.

Personally I use my own loaded ammunition for carry/SD, I'll put my ammo up against any name brand any day of the week, I do use all new components for SD ammunition.

For the 9mm I shoot 147 grain Hornaday XTP.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 3, 2012, 03:03 AM   #87
mySig229

Pretty effective

Last edited by mySig229; October 3, 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Old October 3, 2012, 04:18 AM   #88
giaquir

You can't rely on statistics because every statistic
is a single event interpreted and compiled by
God knows who.
It's not so much the bullet make up
as where you put it!
Old October 4, 2012, 05:40 PM   #89
cookie5

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
Old October 8, 2012, 09:01 AM   #90
SFsc616171

Best 9mm ammo?

Remington L9MM1 115 grain JHP. Loadable in all manufactured 9mm auto's. Good ogive, with a small cavity, that provides good penetration. "Old School Load".
Old October 7, 2013, 12:39 PM   #91
bil

I bought a box of Winchester Ranger 85 gr. +P+ Frangible, and don't know anything about it. I can't find a "T" on the box, although there is a "NT" mark on the bullet cartridge. The box is marked "For Law Enforcement USE Only."
I can't find out much about this load. I thought it seemed ideal for not going through the wall and killing the neighbors, in case of self-defense. Does anybody know anything about it? It seems to penetrate 3/8" - 1/2" plywood, but leaves little trace. Haven't shot it through water, as I just don't buy anything anymore in gallon jugs.
Sure do appreciate your thoughts and experiences with this ammo.
Kindest regards,
Bil
Old October 7, 2013, 01:58 PM   #92
Tactical Jackalope

For zombie threads it can be anything that strikes the CNS (central nervous system).
Old October 7, 2013, 05:40 PM   #93
Whiskeyandbikes

anyone know why the Hornady Z-max lines is discontinued? They were just branded critical defense weren't they?
Old October 7, 2013, 07:55 PM   #94
Tomac

All handguns are relatively poor "stoppers" regardless of caliber or bullet used. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.
Another vote for Critical Duty, IMHO it strikes a good balance between recoil, penetration and expansion. 15" average penetration is right in the middle of the FBI's suggested 12"-18" range.
I'd rather use a bullet w/less expansion that reaches the vitals than a bullet w/more expansion that doesn't.
Tomac
Old October 7, 2013, 08:00 PM   #95
militant

Cor Bon 125 grain plus P
Old October 8, 2013, 07:11 PM   #96
IdahoG36

CorBon 115gr +P jhp for my HD gun. It is a highly regarded SD loading for 9mm. It has some serious velocity for a +P 9mm at 1350fps, and 466ftlbs of energy at the muzzle out of a 4" barrel.
Old October 8, 2013, 08:56 PM   #97
Glock20/460long

I don't usually answer to old threads, good old 125g GDHP +P from NYPD for this guy every time, not to mention I'm at a quarter a round X about 1500.

I think they went to 40cal.