The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2010, 04:14 PM   #1
kimberguy

Questions about Hornady LNL Powder measure

I'm new to reloading. I have the Hornady LNL AP press with theLNL powder measure / dispensor it comes with. I've noticed that Hornady sells what looks to be micrometer adjustable powder measures for pistol/handgun and rifle.
What exactly are these for and do I need them? Do any of you have them? Do I need another rotor if I get them. Hornady seems to make some great stuff but their web site leaves alot to be desired in the way of explanation of some of their products. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I read in another thread about some one using rice as a tumbling medium. I've never heard of that. How well does it work?
Old January 17, 2010, 04:46 PM   #2
jbrown13

Micrometer Powder Stem

I have the micrometer pistol insert (I don't think there is one for the rifle rotor) for the Hornady powder measure and it works as advertised. You just snap out the regular pistol stem and snap in the micrometer stem. I record the micrometer settings for all my loads and then when I'm loading I can dial my powder measure in quickly. There still is some tweaking to be done (I guess due to humidity, barometric pressure, phase of the moon, etc.), but you get there much quicker. Some guys buy a separate regular insert for some of their loads and leave them set so they can swap them out depending on what they are loading. Either way ends up being a time saver for setting up powder drops.
Old January 17, 2010, 05:44 PM   #3
David Wile

Hey folks,

From looking at the LNL instructions on Hornady site, it would seem the powder measures on the LNLs are coming through differently these days. I got one of the firsts ones they made back in 1997, and my powder measure has two different sized micrometer type powder screw tubes for the powder rotor. One for big drops and one for small drops. I do not have two rotors; I have two different sized screw tubes that fit in the same rotor. Now it seems they come through with just one size of screw tube, and it does not look like my micrometer type adjusters!?!? Am I missing something here, or has there been a change over the years? I know I use both my screw tubes depending on what size drop I want to make.

The serial number on my press is something in between 1200 and 1500, and I bought it in June (I think) 1997. Can you folks tell me what your serial numbers are and when you bought your machines? I am keeping track of serial numbers and purchase dates over on the THR forum, and I would like to get some more numbers to compare.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 17, 2010, 07:00 PM   #4
jbrown13

Dave, my LnL is Serial #17410 and was received in Feb 2009.

Jeff
Old January 17, 2010, 07:47 PM   #5
Dodge DeBoulet

My LnL, purchased in November 2009 (SN 22295, also reported in your thread on THR), has two rotors and two "screw tubes," one set for pistol and the other for rifle. It also came with 3 powder drop tubes for different sized cases, two primer slides and two primer seating punches (one each for both small and large primers).

The screw tubes are not "micrometer style," though, in that they do not have any way to obtain a specific value that can be set as needed for different measures of powder. That appears to be an add-on purchase from Hornady's resellers.
Old January 17, 2010, 10:34 PM   #6
David Wile

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the information on your LNL; I added you, your serial number, and date purchased to my spreadsheet. The information I collected so far is posted on THR, and I will add yours to the THR list as soon as I get some more input from folks. I wish more folks with LNLs would see the thread and post their information. So far, it looks like Hornady made 11,000 LNL units from 1997 to Jan 2008. Between Jan 2008 and Dec 2009 (just two years) they sold another 11,000 units. I would like to know more about the years from 1997 to 2008.

Hey Dodge,

Like you said, I already have your informaton in the list.

If you look at the thread on THR, you will note that Hornady has made some changes to the LNL over the years. My LNL is exactly the same as when I bought it, and the only part I have had to replace in all these years was a shell plate spring.

Hey Kimberguy,

I don't know what else to say about the powder measure except to call Hornady and ask them how things should be if someone else on this forum does not have more exact information for you.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 17, 2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wile
Hey Dodge,

Like you said, I already have your informaton in the list.
It sounded like you were still looking for confirmation as to what is/isn't included for the powder measure rotor assembly, thus the additional detail in my previous post. I'm pretty sure I didn't include that in the THR post.
Old January 17, 2010, 11:08 PM   #8
David Wile

Hey Dodge,

You're right, I did not add that information. I am going to do so right now. So far, I only have 12 LNL serial numbers, and a couple of the folks did not supply their whole serial number. However, I did add notes to each persons line if they provided other info as to what their machine came with. I am adding yours as soon as I finish this. Thanks for reminding me that I was missing out on the info. I made a simple spreadsheet in M-Soft Excel, and if I get some more information that anyone would like to have, it would be easy to send a copy of the Excel file in an E-Mail. Believe me, it is a lot easier doing it in Excel than it is trying to get things lined up on a forum post.

Relative to what you reported, my LNL has only one rotor, but two different sized screw tubes that fit in the same rotor. It also has 3 powder drop tubes for different case size activation adjustment (probably the same as yours). According to Canuck IL, Hornady changed primer systems at the 7,000 serial number level, and I do not know exactly what all is different, but I can tell you that mine also has two primer shuttles and two seating punches, again, I am guessing much like yours. My two screw tubes are micrometer type and have calibration marks on them.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Last edited by David Wile; January 17, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old January 19, 2010, 04:38 PM   #9
kimberguy

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm just going to order both micrometer metering inserts and be done with it. I'm quite ready to get started, My Kimber's are moaning for some rangetime.
By the way, I've ordered Hornady's LNL Auto Charge (Like the RCBS Chargemaster.) I should have it this week. I'll let everyone know what I think soon.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:31 PM   #10
David Wile

Hey Kimberguy,

What in the world is the Hornady "LNL Auto Charge" you mentioned? Something new I suppose, but I know nothing about it.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old January 21, 2010, 07:53 AM   #11
kimberguy

LNL Auto Charge

It's Hornady's version of RCBS's autocharge. See Hornady's website. I'm at work and can't really make any post right now. I'll get back with ya'll this weekend
Old January 23, 2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Crashbox

I have both micrometer inserts for rifle and pistol and like them both. I do wish they had an intermediate rotor/insert combo for my full-house pistol loads, either that or perhaps they could have made the pistol setup larger. I wind up using the rifle one for my .357 Magnum hotties.

The micrometer inserts are fantastic for redialing previous charge throws (but of course verify with an accurate scale). They should be standard equipment IMO.