The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2012, 09:13 AM   #1
mmc205

500 S&W 4inch chrono and load data

Hey all,
I was here a while back asking about 500 s&w load data, among other questions. I've not been able to find good data on 4" velocities vs the 8 3/8, which most factory ammo seems to be tested with. My curiosity got the better of me, and i decided to get a chrono.

So far, i've been starting on the light side, and working my way up with mostly Hornady 300gr FTX bullet. My thinking is that since i'm in PA, this size should take down any game, and give me a pretty flat shooting round at higher velocities, as well as keep recoil tolerable.

I used load data for H110, which is my powder of choice for the 500, and hogdon lists this for 325 grain (no listing for 300) so i assume it would be a safe range for 300 grain

Bullet Powder OAL Start Vel Pressure Max Velocity Pressure
325 GR. BAR XPB Hodgdon H110 2.290" 42.0 1813 40,000 PSI 45.3 1951 48,900 PSI

By looking at the listed velocity on these Hornady factory loads and chronographing them in my gun, my best guess is the 4" loses about 275-350 fps over the 8 3/8 barrel for this cartridge. However i can't be sure because i cannot validate the hornady claim of 2050 fps from a 8 3/8
http://www.hornady.com/store/500-SW-...EVERevolution/

I'm looking to push the 300 to the same velocity as the above hornady factory ammo, which chronographed about 1700 fps for me. Below is the chart showing what i'm loaded and chronographed already, and what my plans are. 51.4 grains of H110 seems like quite a bit for a 300 grain bullet, but its what hornady is recomending, and i validated the chart by calling hornady. The velocity listed in the hornady PDF below is from a 8 3/8 of course.

I also tested the 500 grain XTP over 32.0 grains of H110, which i'm quite happy with. Muzzle energy isn't phenomenal, but its about all the recoil i want to deal with. Should make a good bear round.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...magnum_ftx.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500 sw data mmc205.JPG (181.0 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 500 sw data 2 mmc205.JPG (53.3 KB, 113 views)
Old September 14, 2012, 04:31 PM   #2
capodastro

First of all, welcome to the 500 s&w club, I have the 8 3/8 barrel and love shooting THE hand cannon. Recoil is so mitigated by the compensator that it feels lighter than my 44 mag 629 with 5 inch barrel. But you know you're shooting something .50 cal and 50,000+ odd psi. What a gun!!!
How does the 4 inch barrel feel, I'm curious? Anyways, if you have a chrono, why don't you just do a ladder test from the starting load and see when you get to the velocity you desire, all the while checking for pressure signs etc. I shoot cast bullets and dont always fine the exact bullet weight, so see whats closest to that, which is what a hodgden rep told me a while ago, go with that. I've never had any problems, but i'm always super cautious developing a load. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3
mmc205

I'm doing just that. Working my way up to the hornady loads. Overall I like the 4 inch. You definitely lose some velocity, but the form f actor is great for hunting. I think the recoil isn't bad, and I've heard the balance with a 4 is really nice for offhand shooting, and I have to agree. Wouldn't mind having a 8 inch to get all the velocity in the future though! What loads have you worked up?
Old September 15, 2012, 08:24 AM   #4
capodastro

I'm shooting missouri bullet co. 400 gr sw over 15 gr titegroup for practice, its not that accurate, and for wilderness self defense in wyoming and idaho, where I'm going for 10 days, I've made up some loads with h110. 36 gr h110 for the same bullet and I'm just making some loads with 37 gr and 38 gr. I forgot my chrony last week but will will bring it next time. 36 gr is pretty accurate with decent but manageable recoil.