The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 27, 2015, 11:24 AM   #26
Sharkbite

And so it goes

Will this debate never end?

My weapon of choice for 2 legged varmints at anything less then 300 yds is a shortbarreled AR platform. I have used them EXTENSIVELY inside building, vehicles and in outdoor environments.

The 556 with the wrong ammo is horribly over penetrative for home defense in the cities of the USA.

With the RIGHT ammo it becomes one of the LEAST penetrative rounds avail while giving absolutely devastating effect on target.

The lightweight, almost explosive, varmint bullets are great choices for HD. Hornady TAP in the lighter weights would be my go to in that caliber. You dont need, or really want, the heavier more barrier blind ammo that may be used by LE/Mil users.

You're not going to be shooting through auto glass or doors and the like in a HD shooting. Somehing that fragment violently upon impact with anything significant is the ticket

Lastly, there is NO COMPARISON in wounding/stopping ability between Handguns and an AR with proper ammo. The wounds and the effect on a human target are night and day.

I was involved in a shooting in 1993 where i used a handgun (doesnt matter what caliber or ammo). The bullet completely perforated the badguys thoracic cavity at a downward angle, went thru a lung and his Pancreas before exiting and stopping in a flower bed behind him.

He ran 3 blockes, jumped 2 fences, ran thru an Apartment parking garage, ripped open a storage cabinet to ditch his gun ( the bloody hand print on the outside made it pretty easy to find), then hid under some brush onnthe side of the freeway. When found he had almost bleed out, but had he chosen to stay and fight, he had plenty of gas left to go for quite a while. Handguns SUCK at stopping people

Contrast that with a shooting I was in with a 10.5" M4, 1 hit center mass and the guy flopped to the ground like his strings had been cut. That was overseas working as a contract employee so I cant provide many details but the difference in effect was DRAMATIC. I dont have any wound data, as we didnt stick around. The round might have severed the spine and that resulted in the instant flop, I dont know, but ive seen more then a couple guys shot with 556 rounds, and they WORK
Old August 27, 2015, 07:29 PM   #27
CodeSection

Airborne: Yes, 35 yards long and maybe around ~ 20 yards wide....sorta large great room in center of home with wings.... ]. As pointed out By Theohazard, I have a silencer. Good points about entry points and defensible positions. I appreciate the posting.

Theohazard: Thank you for the explanation of the various ammo. I called Hornady regarding the issue with a 16" barrel ~ "Due to the longer duration of peak pressure produced by Superformanceâ„¢, the post peak/declining port pressure at common carbine and mid-length gas port locations is still higher than that produced by standard propellant." They said it would be an issue on my Tavor. They recommended .223 Match 75 Grain BTHP Hollow Point Ammo by Hornady - 8026 over any TAP. I ended up buying some 8026. On a side note, I haven't had a chance to try the silencer yet (too damn hot), but again, thank you for your education about them that you provided me months ago.

Sharkbite: Thank you for sharing your experiences. It solidifies my position even further regarding my use of a .223/5.56 for my HD scenario. I realize my situation is a little unique.