The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 29, 2015, 05:36 PM   #1
epl1007

Best Bullets for Deer

I'm trying to find a round in 270 that will group well and also do major damage to a deers vital area and maximize shock. I hunt in Buffalo Co WI so my shots
Could be anywhere from 20-500 yards.the bullets I'm considering adding to my group testing are
Winchester Deer Season xp
Nosler Accubond
Ballistic Silvertip
Barnes Vor tx
Berger hunting VLD.
Any big game experience with these options and I'd love to hear your experience or recommendations
Thanks
Old August 29, 2015, 05:55 PM   #2
oldscot3

I have no personal experience with anything on your list in my 270, however, I will volunteer that good ole Sierra 150 gr. GKs work great in my gun. I load them over RL22 and get good performance with outstanding accuracy.
Old August 29, 2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Wyosmith

I am on my 3rd barrel in one of my four 270 Winchester rifles, and the other 3 have a pretty high round count also, but not enough to burn out the throats yet.
Safe to say I have some experience with the cartridge.
Of the bullet you list I have experience with only the Nosler Accubond (excellent)
and the Burger VLD (very poor, comes all to piece when it hits even a doe through the ribs. Very erratic performance on impact. )

I started killing things with a 270 in 1968. I have used Sierra's, 130s and 150s(ok, but they come apart more then I like.

Hornady inner-lock (Ok too, but also a bit more frangible then I like, but better than the Sierra. The 150 grain bullets were the best overall. I have used 130s, 140s and 150s.

The new Inner-bonds are excellent.

Winchester Silver-tip (old ones. 100% frangible. (Very poor on game.

Winchester Power Points in both 130 and 150 grain. Both quite good. Far better than you'd think for a "plane vanilla bullet". Good accuracy and I have to assume good construction, as the exits are about 2" in diameter and I have never recovered one from any game shot.

Remington Cor-Lokd (excellent with the 150 grain offering, and very good with the 130s

Nosler Partitions (the best of the bunch in all 3 weights I have used, 130s 150s and 160s)

Barnes X 140 grain (excellent also, but not much expansion at very long range.

Norma Steel jacketed 130 gr. (Hard on meat, but killed well. Not as deep a penetrator as other 130s I have used.

Speer Hot-core 130 and 150 grain flat bases. Both ok. About like a Sierra or maybe a bit better, but pretty close.
Old Speer 170s grains. VERY good, but no longer made.
Old August 29, 2015, 06:28 PM   #4
epl1007

That's kind of why I want to try the Berger because they're designed to break the skin and hollow point and shrapnel to create massive wounds. Did the doe drop or run forever?
Old August 29, 2015, 07:06 PM   #5
tlm225

You really don't want a bullet that comes apart. The fragments, being very light in weight, stop quickly and don't reach the vitals leaving a relatively shallow wound. While it may kill, it's not reliable. Far better to select a bullet that mushrooms yet retains it's weight for penetration to and through the vital area.
Old August 29, 2015, 07:19 PM   #6
jmr40

The Bergers Wyosmith described are doing exactly what they are designed to do. They offer the best aerodynamics of any of the other options and are designed to penetrate 3-4" then come apart violently. If you put one in the vitals they are one of the quickest killing bullets you can shoot. And they work very well at long range since they don't require a lot of speed at impact to work. Their disadvantage is that they don't give very much penetration on shots from bad angles. There is nothing at all wrong with them, you just have to understand how they work and use them appropriately. For long range shooting they are a great choice, but you must pick your shots carefully.

I'd probably pick the Accubonds overall. The Nosler Partitions have a well earned reputation for staying together and providing good penetration as well as good expansion. Their disadvantage is poor aerodynamics at long range. The Accubond bullets combine the killing ability of the Partition with much better aerodynamics. Almost as good as the Bergers.
Old August 29, 2015, 07:21 PM   #7
Doyle

Of all those, I'd probably choose the Nosler Partition 130.
Old August 29, 2015, 07:42 PM   #8
CarJunkieLS1

130gr Accubonds will be the only bullet for you...it's the only bullet my .270 will ever shoot
Old August 29, 2015, 08:07 PM   #9
Dufus

Used to use the Speer 130 gr Hot Cor, but I have trouble finding Speer bullets.

If you want to look at an alternative to the Berger, I would try one of the Cutting Edge Bullets. They have a few different designs that work quite well in the long range category and will still perform very well at close range.
Old August 29, 2015, 08:24 PM   #10
tdoyka

130gr nosler ballistic tips!!! i shot deer from 10 feet to 365 yards, all were 1 shot kills. now that i'm getting older, i think 150gr nosler bt would be great too.
Old August 29, 2015, 09:42 PM   #11
RaySendero

Quote:
oldscot3 wrote:

I have no personal experience with anything on your list in my 270, however, I will volunteer that good ole Sierra 150 gr. GKs work great in my gun.

Yep - That's what I use - 150 Sierra GameKings.

And YES, Very accurate, too.
Old August 29, 2015, 10:56 PM   #12
Scorch

Which ones shoot best out of your rifle? You have tried shooting them, right?
Old August 30, 2015, 12:29 AM   #13
epl1007

I'm going 2 see how good all of them group out of my gun because the core lockts I were running maybe shot 1.5 at 100 yards and didn't perform the best in terms of on game performance. I was just getting opinions trying to narrow down my list. Right now I'm thinking the Deer Season VLD Hunting and the accubond
Old August 30, 2015, 12:44 AM   #14
Water-Man

Nosler Partition 130gr. or Nosler Accubond 130gr. - whichever your rifle likes best.
Old August 30, 2015, 12:56 AM   #15
math teacher

Every deer I have shot with an Accubond has been flattened on the spot. They work great on moose too, though it usually takes about half a minute with any bullet before moose figure out that they are dead. Actually though, premium bullets are not really necessary on deer. It is when you use them on the big boys that premium bullets make a big difference. I just don't like having to resight every time I switch from one type of game to another, so I use Accubonds on all big game. Partitions have never failed me either, but as stated earlier, they are not as aerodynamic. I have had no experience with Ballistic Tips, but have killed both deer and elk with its predecessor, the solid base and they worked just as well as the Partition. However the Ballistic Tip has the reputation of opening up much faster, which is fine for deer, not so good for elk and other big animals. Sierras, Speer, and corelocks have all worked well for me on deer.
Old August 30, 2015, 01:24 AM   #16
bamaranger

factory ammo

The ballistic tips have a good reputation for accuracy, and if I were just going to hunt deer/antelope, I'd sure give them a try. Three different rifles (.270) of my acquaintance all shoot the 130 Nosler BT very well, and its the best bullet accuracy wise that I've found in my own Rem 700.

My rifle has a 22" tube, and I cannot get the velocities I'd like with 130's, but 24" tubes can drive the 130 to near 3000 fps easily, in most cases. The BT gets a lot of chatter, seems like its love/hate. Swear by'em or swear at'em.
Old August 30, 2015, 06:11 AM   #17
Flapjack23

I prefer the Accubond as well. I have used the ballistic tip but stopped after less than a box. Where I hunt in MI with lots of thick areas I prefer a deep penetrating bullet that will pass through and leave a good blood trail. The ballistic tip killed deer quick but did not penetrate the 1 I shot with it and I almost did not recover that deer. In open grassland where you can watch the animal run and fall they are great, not so much for my needs though.

I do use a different caliber but would expect similar performance in the .270
Old August 30, 2015, 09:38 AM   #18
603Country

I've killed somewhere around 300 deer. The first hundred were probably killed mostly with Remington CoreLoct bullets. I had no complaints. Then I moved to hand loading and Nosler bullets. The next couple hundred deer were shot with the 270 and the 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip or its predecessor, the SBBT. If I didn't take quartering shots, I got a bullet exit on deer. I will stay with that bullet in the 270 and my newest rifle, the 260.

So, knowing what I do about deer and bullets, if I was going to start over with bullets for my 270 and 260, I really do think I'd go with the new Nosler Accubond. Same super accuracy that the BT gives us, but a tougher bullet. That said, you really don't need a tougher bullet in the 270 than the 130 gr Ballistic tip for deer, so I'll just stick with that.

Other contenders for my affection, for use in the 270, would be the 130 gr Sierra GK, the 150 gr Partition (for heavy duty use), and a bullet that nobody seems to ever mention - the Sierra 140 HPBT. That HPBT by Sierra is way better than it needs to be, and is relatively inexpensive. I think it's the 'sleeper' that few really ever consider using. That's one you should try. It's a tough bullet.

Everybody talks about the new premium bullets, the 'boutique' bullets of our day, and the truth is that we really don't need them for deer. Granted that they are new and improved to some degree, but we really don't need them for deer. It's just extra money to do what you can already do with the bullets we had.
Old September 6, 2015, 05:07 PM   #19
Jpw360

I bow dow to bergers vld....no animal i shot with it had taken one single step....it was one straight trip to heaven.....
Old September 6, 2015, 07:26 PM   #20
JimPage

I have found in over 50 years of successful deer hunting, any bullet well aimed will down a deer in its tracks. If you can't bother to learn to shoot well, don't hunt.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old September 6, 2015, 07:38 PM   #21
Drm50

This deer bullet thing is way overdone. Deer are not Cape buffalo, relatively
easy to kill. I have killed many deer,several with a 270. The 270 shines with
120-130 gr bullets. There is no need to buy expensive hi-tec bullets. I use
Speer boat tail sps in my 270s. I have used Wins, Rem, Sierra and Noslers
with satisfactory results, dead is dead. Most important thing is to find a bullet
and load that will preform in your rifle. There is no bullet made that makes up
for a poor shot. When you get over 130 gr you are sliding into 7mm territory.
150 gr is in realm of 30 cals. Unless you go after Elk or similar big game the
130 gr will do you.one thing you have to watch is that you don't buy some
kind of target bullet with no expansion qualities. Also some of the premium
big game bullets are designed to penetrate and expand in heavier animals than
Deer.
Old September 17, 2015, 02:55 PM   #22
dgludwig

For deer hunting over the past half century, I've had good success with Remington's "Core-Lokt" bullets and I see no real reason to switch to anything more "exotic" (read expensive). For game requiring more penetration, coupled with adequate expansion, there are probably better choices.
Old September 19, 2015, 06:59 PM   #23
homesick

Accubond / there's probably better and I'm sure worse but I have never had a bad experience with the bullet.
Old September 19, 2015, 08:09 PM   #24
reynolds357

I have no idea about the new Winchester deer season bullet. Of all the others on the list, the Berger is going to give you the most tissue damage. The others will expand and penetrate well, but if you want the animal to look like a bomb went off inside, the VLD hunting is the bullet for you. They have been extremely accurate in every rifle I have ever shot them in.
Old September 20, 2015, 06:45 AM   #25
hooligan1

I likevto eat my deer, so the less damage to meat is my goal. I also don't care to track them.
So my bullet choice is the Accubond and well place shots are my goal...don't take marginal shots with any bullet, so practice is important. I've used Nosler B-Tips with good results, and Core Lokts in my early years prior to handloading and they always worked fine.
Scorch had good advice, find the bullet your rifle likes, confidence is king.