The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Gitsum

One powder for all?...

I have not yet started loading but have been going over my new Lyman handbook and have ordered the ABC's of handloading as well. Im wondering if I am getting this correct. I want to load 38spec/357 and 9mm. Is it ok to pick one powder that is listed for all three such as Bullseye? (the only one listed for all 3) Or is it better to get and use the recommended powders for each load seperately? Or are there pros and cons for doing this either way? These rounds will almost entirely be for range use.

Also, I already have bullet moulds. The book dosent list specs for for 38spec/357 at 158 grn (that I have). Only for 155 and then 160grn. Im guessing I should use the 160grn specs?
Old October 5, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2
BigJimP

No, you can pick one powder for all of them ....in this case at least...

but there are others out there too ....like Hodgdon Universal or Hodgdon TiteGroup which I use for all 3 calibers you listed ( depending on the bullet you pick).....

The Hodgdon books - websites / recipes list a 158gr HDY XTP bullet for .38 spl and .357 mag ...
Old October 5, 2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Gitsum

Going to try my hand at casting my own 38spec/357 158grn boolits next week!
Old October 5, 2011, 04:47 PM   #4
davery25

you can use one for all 3 if its listed. Definitely buy that one and test how good it is for accuracy in each calibre but you'll also want to try other calibre specific powders too. they may or may not be better or worse - only trying will tell.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Vance

Hogdon H110 is an awesome powder for 357 magnum. For an 158 gr boolit, you would start with 15 grains with a max load of 16.7 grains. That's on the Hogdon web site.

On the other hand, Bullseye is a fine powder to learn to reload with.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Adamantium

I reload all 3, and while all 3 can be done with one powder you will inevitable be shooting something too fast to get full power 357's or it will be too slow for 38 special and will require much more powder than is needed.

My advice is unless you really want to shoot some boomers out of your 357 get a middle of the road powder like Universal which would cover all three.

With regards to 155 vs 160, it is always safer to go up in weight than down, but sometimes the difference is academic because you could probably work up a full 155 load without seeing a sign of pressure. This is especially true with lead. But it is still a good rule to follow and I do it myself.

I cast my own and while my 158 SWC's pop out at the correct weight, my 230 grain LRN drop at 242-245 grains. This was before I had a scale that weighed over 100 grains, so I'd already worked the load up to max with 3 different powders and never saw any pressure signs from any of them.
Old October 5, 2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Charlie98

Unique would be another good powder to look at for both .38 and .357 loads. I don't launch my .357 cast loads too fast because of barrel leading, I save the W296 and jacketed bullets for that.

Personally, I use Unique for loading everything from the .380 to heavy .357/.41/.45Colt loads in rifle and pistol, it works very well.
Old October 5, 2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

In some cases, you can find one powder that will have a broad range of usefullness.

However, it you desire the optimum proformance You will need to get more specific.

For example, you mentioned Bullseye and yes, it will make a lot of things go bang and is a very usefull powder in some things. Have used a bunch of it over the years, clear back into the 60s.

Same thing with unique, but even as usefull as these powder are, they are limited in some ways.

Bullseye will not give upper levels of proformance, and Unique will only go so far in that direction.

A friend ask for a list of powders and bullets that would keep him shooting if push came to shove, so I gave him such a list. Components that in hard times could put meat on the table or protect you.

The cartridges he was concerned with were 38/357, 30-06 and 45/70.

The powders listed were just that, get er done powders.

Knowing what will do best IN YOUR GUN is found by testing, and usually the best place to start is with 2 - 3 good loading manuals and reading what is producing the best velocity and when shown, the best groups for your choice of cartridge.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old October 6, 2011, 12:38 AM   #9
Scorch

For those cartridges, Unique, Universal, or W231 will work very well. I have loaded all 3 (plus several more) using Unique, and never complained a bit about performance. And every loading manual I have has loading data for Unique in those cartridges. As others have said, Unique may not be ideal with any particular bullet/cartridge/firearm/velocity combination, but it is very versatile, and I have loaded cartridges ranging from 32 ACP to 45 Colt with it.
Old October 6, 2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Gitsum

Thanks for all of the advice and knowledge guys. I think Ill start off with a few different powders and load maybe 50 or so rounds of each (or more?). See how they perform in my guns and decide if I should pick just one or stay more specific to each caliber/gun based on these results. Does this sound like a like a good strategy?
Old October 6, 2011, 09:03 AM   #11
Sevens

I'll do this until some old timer hits me on the head with his 50-year old can of Unique.

Hodgdon Universal is like a modern day Unique. It mimics the range of Unique very well. It is not Unique and not directly interchangeable, so you can't simply using Unique loading data when using Hodgdon Universal.

But there are at least three great reasons to choose Universal over Unique.

1) Unique is well known as being a dirty old powder. They've even "improved" the formulation in recent years to making it cleaner burning, but it's still got the reputation. Many folks call it "combustible dirt."

2) Unique may be one of the WORST metering powders on Earth. The size & shape of the flakes mean that through many mechanical devices, it gives much more trouble in dropping a consistent powder charge. If hand-weighed, this is not an issue. But if you use a powder thrower like most of us do, be forewarned that Unique gives a lot of headaches that other powders simply do not.

3) Unique is marketed by Alliant... great powders, but the load data on their website is severely lacking. And their current printed guides leave a lot to be desired, all. I'm glad that I've kept some of my recent (but no longer NEW) printed guides... I reference Alliant's 2005 guide often. Their website load data just stinks while Hodgdon, on the other hand, has a terrific source in their Reloading Data Center.

If you don't have any powder yet and you are considering Unique -- do yourself a favor and leave the orange Unique bottle on the shelf for the next old codger climbing out of his '53 Buick and instead, grab a bottle of Hodgdon Universal. (it will says "Universal Clays Technology" but don't get caught up with the confusing use of the word "Clays" and just look for "UNIVERSAL."
Old October 6, 2011, 09:48 AM   #12
overkill0084

Can you use one powder for all three? Yes. Will one powder be ideal for all three? No. You will find that some powders will work better in some applications than others.
I've used Accurate #5 & Unique in all three at one point or another. With the right powder measure, Uniques works fine. My Lee PM hated it. My Redding likes it fine. I originally bought Accurate #5 as a Unique substitute. I still use it for a couple applications. Another powder worth looking into is HS-6 it also falls in the similar range of the previously listed powders. I predict you will eventually want to tailor you powders to your applications. Reloading leads to a lot of experimentation with different combos. FWIW, Unique isn't too dirty if you stay toward the warmish end of the spectrum. AA#5 is like fine sand and should meter well in nearly any measure. HS-6 is measure friendly as well.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old October 6, 2011, 10:07 AM   #13
pgdion

It's a little tougher with 9mm in the mix but there are several powders that will work with all 3. Sometimes powders aren't listed on a sheet but still work (check other sources like alliants web sight, ect). For example Unique isn't listed on my lee guide for 9mm 115gr but there is an entry for Unique at 9mm 124gr. If I check Alliant's sight, there's Unique recipes for all the 9mm flavors.

I would personally pick one powder to cover all the loads. I like Unique. It will work with all you listed and many others. If you don't mind the way it meters (I weigh all of my charges) it's a great powder. Personally I like Unique & W231, they both work in all of the cartridges that I reload. btw - Unique's not dirty if you stay in the load ranges and use plated bullets. My understanding is the dirty-ness comes from interacting with lead. In other words the dirt is not the powder, it's the lubricants on the lead burning off the bullet. I don't cast my own bullets and dirty burning has never been a problem.

As for charge I think I would go with the 160gr load as well since it's closest. Is the charge for 155 vs 160 much different? I would expect them to be pretty close if the bullets are the same type (lead, jacketed, ect). Maybe take the half way point between the 2. Again, maybe try some other sources for load values if there's holes in your sheet.

Last edited by pgdion; October 6, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old October 6, 2011, 10:36 AM   #14
Sevens

I have used Power Pistol with success in all three of those chamberings...
But if given the choice, I wouldn't. (in fact, I do have the choice... and I don't! )

I have used a lot of Power Pistol in 9mm with much success. More recently, I've moved to Universal under a 125gr LRN and it runs like a champion. Currently, it's my "go-to" load for shooting steel.

I still use Power Pistol in .38 Special under a 158gr plated flat point. It's a bit slow burning for this role, but it does work and gives me decent accuracy from five different revolvers.

I have dabbled with Power Pistol in .357, but it's not my cup of tea. True .357 loads benefit greatly from a proper magnum powder and my choice for those is Alliant 2400. H110/W296 may be even better, but I don't care to stock magnum primers so I'm quite happy with the performance I get from 2400 in this role.

I use the bulk of my Power Pistol in 10mm.
Old October 6, 2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Adamantium

I will also second Universal over Unique. Unique makes a lot of sense for people who have been using it for years and already have a variety of loads worked up in it. But if you are diving in right now get the cleaner burning alternative.
Old October 6, 2011, 10:52 AM   #16
hendrixhendrix

If you are just starting out....

Pick a load that if you double charge it, it will overflow the case. Bullseye can get you into trouble.
Old October 6, 2011, 10:55 AM   #17
Gitsum

That is a great exercise in safety! Love it!
Old October 6, 2011, 12:31 PM   #18
black mamba

Win 231 or HP-38 (same powder) will do all three very well, but not give maximum velocity in .357 mag.
Old October 6, 2011, 01:06 PM   #19
rude robert

Hi Vance, I have the Hornady book in front of me, max listing is 15.6 with the 158 gr.. This is a good reason not to look at the book, could cause problems or injury later. I reloaded some of those rounds yesterday, too. thx robert
Old October 6, 2011, 01:06 PM   #20
Sevens

Here's another exercise in safety--
Using W231 or Bullseye or Titegroup in .357 Mag or .44 Mag, not only will not give you top velocities, they will give you MAX pressure with an outrageously sharp pressure curve. They will go over max with very little warning. They have very small charge weights and are dense powders and you could easily double charge a large revolver round with these powders.

Newer handloaders still try them, because there is load data for them and the charge weights are light and newer handloaders typically already have these powders on hand.

Frankly, I don't understand why load manuals don't dedicate more time and space to explaining how fast burning powders are a poor choice in large capacity magnum rounds.

People continue to use them.
Old October 6, 2011, 02:07 PM   #21
SIGSHR

I recall an article by Lee Jurras years ago where he recommended Unique, he noted you'd lose a little velocity in .357, that's all. Bullseye is out, as others have noted, it's too fast burning and its pressure curve is too great, and they pointed out the dangers of a double charge.
My personal experience-and I have not reloaded in years-was that each cartridge-and load-required its own powder. 2.7 of Bullseye in 38 Special target load, Unique for 9MM, 2400 in .357-was what worked for me, in my case accuracy was paramount.
Old October 6, 2011, 08:08 PM   #22
Charlie98

Quote:
I'll do this until some old timer hits me on the head with his 50-year old can of Unique.
Blashpemer!!!

My 8# keg is only 20 years old (and just about dead, come to think of it.) Say that again and I'll hit you with my cane!

What some of the others are saying about tailoring the load/powder for each cartridge and cartridge/bullet combination is correct... if that is what you are wanting to do. I don't. I have a reasonable expectation of accuracy from my handgun loads, 95% of which are plinking loads with cast or, my newfound love, plated bullets. I poke paper, water bottles and clay pigeons. Now, for my .41's and .45's (ACP and Colt) I do have a full-house load with a good JSP or JHP bullet; to that end I have experimented with some different powders (hence, the W296 on the bench; ) but those are pretty limited.

For rifle rounds it's sort of the other way around... I do load for a certain amount of accuracy, probably 50% of my rifle rounds. I am trying to consolidate my powders down to about 3 or 4, but each cartridge may and well wind up with it's own can of powder...

Using one powder to get started would be a good way to get going. Once you become familiar with each cartridge's proclivities, you can start swapping in different powders.
Old October 6, 2011, 08:37 PM   #23
farmerboy

Yes, just grab a lb of Unique and you'll be fine. I love the stuff!
Old October 6, 2011, 08:47 PM   #24
zxcvbob

Bullseye is not as fast as everybody thinks it is; it's a medium-fast high energy powder. It is superb for .38 Special, .38 Special +P, and 9mm, and it'll do OK in .357 Magnum but Unique or Herco or AA#7 will do better.

Red Dot and Clays are the ones to watch out for, where the pressure spikes if you push it just a little. They are just plain fast.

If I had to pick 1 powder to do all three cartridges, it would be Unique. But it makes more sense to buy 2 or 3 powders.
Old October 8, 2011, 06:43 PM   #25
orionengnr

When I started handloading (only about three years ago, so I am no expert) I was looking for one powder that work for the rounds I wanted to load....45acp, .357 and perhaps 9mm. I started with W231, and while it is a decent powder, I have actually only loaded .45acp with it.

Then I did some more research, and bought a pound of Unique, and then a pound of W296. Somewhere along the line I ended up with a .41 Mag and a .45LC, and a 10mm and a .380...so somewhere along the line I also picked up a pound of Bullseye, and then 2400, and Blue Dot, and Red Dot, and...I don't know what all else.

The message I'm trying to get across is that while one powder may work "okay" for multiple cartridges, there are powders which are closer to optimum for each cartridge, and if you are loading small-capacity, high-pressure cartidges such as the 9mm and large-capacity, low-pressure cartridges like the .38 Spl and large-capacity high-pressure cartridges like the .357, you may find that a wider selection of powders will allow you to optimize each round.