The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 1, 2005, 10:48 PM   #1
boa2

What would be your opinions of a Colt Viper?

I would like to get any(And, all!)opinions regarding the Colt Viper, revolver? This can be on any topic, from owning one of these, to value, to how collectible these Viper's might be, reliability of, and anything else that you might wish to offer, about the Colt Viper?
Old January 1, 2005, 11:11 PM   #2
Sir William

I am not even sure about the Colt Viper. Any pcs or further information? What frame? Colt had many model designations that I am none too sure of. The Metropolitan being one.
Old January 2, 2005, 12:13 AM   #3
Dfariswheel

Since the Viper is really nothing but another variation on the Colt "D" frame revolver, it has the same attributes as the other "D"'s like the Detective Special and Cobra.

The aluminum frame of the Viper puts it in the Cobra-Agent class, and these are excellent guns in all respects.

The Viper is essentially a late model Colt Police Positive Special, only with an aluminum frame.

These "D" framed Colt's are strong, reliable, and usually the most accurate of all the small frame revolvers.

Where the Viper IS different, is in it's collect-ability.

The Viper was only made in one short production run, during one year.

As a low number, short production time Colt, collector interest is quite high, and collectors are actively hunting Viper's.

The Viper is one of the very rarest of the Colt "snake" revolvers, and for that reason, collector's trying to complete a Colt "snake" collection are especially interested in finding a Viper.

Because of the collect-ability, a Viper probably shouldn't be fired if it's in good condition, and pains should be made to keep the original box and EVERYTHING that was in the box with the gun.
This would include the plastic bag, hang tags, manual, and any other papers.
The box should be preserved as well as the gun.

If you have, or can buy a Viper, it should be treated as an investment which, like any collectible Colt, will likely skyrocket in value.
Old January 2, 2005, 12:19 AM   #4
Dfariswheel

Sir William:

The Colt Metropolitan Police was a short production Colt based on the Colt "J" frame.

Guns in this series were:
The Trooper Mark III.
The Lawman.
Official Police Mark III.
The VERY rare Officer's Model Match Mark III.
And the Metropolitan Police.

The Metro Police is basically the Lawman, only chambered in .38 Special, instead of the Lawman's .357 Magnum.

The Metro Police was intended for police departments that wanted a fixed sight revolver with a heavy barrel, but in .38 Special only.

The Metro was available in 4" barrel, blue finish, .38 Special, and service hammer and stocks ONLY.

In appearance, the Metropolitan Police looks exactly like the Lawman.
Old January 2, 2005, 12:29 AM   #5
boa2

Colt Viper description!

The Colt Viper is on the same "D" frame as is the Colt Diamondback. It has a four-inch barrel(short shrouded barrel)but with an aluminum frame(Like the Colt Cobra)! It looks like the following pictures:

Last edited by boa2; January 2, 2005 at 02:08 AM. Reason: mistake
Old January 2, 2005, 01:47 AM   #6
Sir William

OK! Thank you. A friend does own both. They are both nice revolvers. I remember his Metropolitan Police being the J frame, my Trooper MKIII is the same size frame. I had heard of the Viper but, I have not seen his or any until these pictures. They are rare as hens teeth. Aluminum frame? Hmmm? Did the Magnum Carry replace the Viper?
Old January 2, 2005, 02:12 AM   #7
boa2

Did Magnum Carry replace the Viper?

1)I'm not sure if the colt Magnum Carry was mean't to replace the Colt Viper(Or, not?)?

2)I do know that the colt Viper was only made in 1977(and, that it is very "Rare"!)!

Last edited by boa2; January 2, 2005 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old January 2, 2005, 02:31 AM   #8
357MagFan

That is a really nice gun "I want one!"
Old January 3, 2005, 10:01 AM   #9
Majic

The Magnum Carry was a totaly new revolver concept for Colt. It was their first and only small frame chambered in .357mag. Other than both being small frame revolvers (the Viper a D-frame and the Magnum Carry a SF-frame) they are two different revolvers. Also the Viper was made only in 1977 and the Magnum Carry didn't come out till the mid 1990's.
Old January 4, 2005, 04:43 AM   #10
LAK

I happen to really like these - esp the steel-framed late Police Positive Special. I passed one up at a show a couple of years back that was like new and priced about $300-and-something. Severely regret letting it slip by.
Old January 4, 2005, 05:26 PM   #11
pwrtool45

I like mine. The DA trigger is better than my Python's was; the SA trigger doesn't hold the same privilege, but is nice nonetheless. Haven't shot it in awhile, but it would do more than hold its own with standard fare 148gr BBWCs.