The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 3, 2012, 01:16 AM   #26
Metal god

I don't think we have to worry about bob him self . I think it has to do more with the stage he uses to say these things . It was MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL now yes I know it's not as watched as it once was but it still has a HUGE audience . I not only think we should be calling NBC we should be calling the NFL as well .

What next the WWP is going to be anti gun

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 3, 2012, 05:59 AM   #27
TheNatureBoy

I saw the Bob Costas piece. Its easy to blame it on the gun isn't it? Typical response.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:54 AM   #28
afone1

Liberals like Bob Costas and Jason Whitlock are completely out of touch with reality. Bob Costas is very wealthy and lives in a nice gated community with private security. Wherever he travels, he has an entourage around him. I guess he believes if their was gun control, the criminals wouldn't have guns either.

More is coming out about this NFL player. Jason Belcher was hooked on pain pills and alcohol. He shot his girlfriend nine times, in front of his own mother, who was staying with them. This guy was a nut case ready to snap.

Costas says if Belcher didn't have a gun, they would still be alive. If he was that crazy, he would have found another violent method to kill her.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:58 AM   #29
Skans

Well, that was certainly an anti-2nd Amendment rant! However, I wouldn't expect anything less from an NBC commentary.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:08 AM   #30
vito

Guns are the problem. That's why I keep mine locked up and unloaded. Otherwise they would jump into my hand and make me shoot someone. I have asked my wife to keep all of our forks and spoons locked up, because they keep making me put food into my mouth and gaining weight. But seriously, a more ominous expression of the anti-gun mentality of NBC is shown in its unwillingness to ever be critical of gun control efforts, as witnessed by their continued virtual total ignoring of the Fast and Furious scandal.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:25 AM   #31
K_Mac

I am disappointed in his remarks. He is a local boy, and is one of the most intelligent voices in sports. I have always liked the guy. As smart as he is, his response to this tragedy shows that he has bought into the anti-gun propaganda which has long been a part of the NBC agenda IMO. I will make my voice heard in opposition to his stand.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:32 AM   #32
nate45

Quote:
How many young people have to die senselessly? How many lives have to be ruined before we realize the right to bear arms doesn’t protect us from a government equipped with stealth bombers, predator drones, tanks and nuclear weapons?
Last time I checked, parking a stealth bomber on a street corner, or nuking your own country, wasn't how a police state was run. Tanks, drones and helicopter gun ships can't go house to house kicking in doors either. You need an unarmed populace and boots on the ground for that. High powered rifles in the hands of the citizenry, are still a legitimate threat to such an environment forming.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:46 AM   #33
kraigwy

Don't blame Costas................blame his microphone.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old December 3, 2012, 09:07 AM   #34
CWKahrFan

That's right kraig...
Somebody PLEASE take away Bob's microphone before he kills someone with his dangerous words... How many lives have to be ruined by his nutty ranting?
Old December 3, 2012, 09:29 AM   #35
SPEMack618

Lordy, I got a concussion playing football and then another in the Sandbox. Top it off with me having been pinged as at risk for PTSD and I'm just a ticking time bomb.

Costas is an idiot, I thought that before this based on what he thinks of Matt Ryan, but this just rienfores that belief.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:31 AM   #36
Hal

Quote:
Don't blame Costas................blame his microphone.
W/your permission can I use that?
Old December 3, 2012, 09:46 AM   #37
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
"What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."
And what I believe is that, if he hadn't had a gun, Kasandra Perkins would still be dead, but due to some form of blunt force trauma and/or strangulation, and the football hero would either be in jail or would have driven his over-priced football star personal vehicle into a bridge abutment somewhere.

Jason Whitlock's rant is typical of the mindset that demonizes the tool in order to excuse the ghetto mindset, in which violence is the response to any disagreement. The sad thing is, Perkins had left him once, then she came back and was planning to leave again. If she had stayed gone, she would (probably) still be alive.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:00 AM   #38
shortwave

Just like the news media uses their platform to promote their own agenda instead of reporting unbiased news, it's now bled over to sports casting.

Maybe Costas needs to stick with reporting/talking on what he was hired to report on rather then using his sportscast air time to cast his own misguided views of which is apparent he doesn't have a clue.

Quote:
uote:
"What I believe is, if he didn’t possess/own a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."
This belief/statement is so typical of someone that has usually lived a very sheltered life and does not get out of their own little world enough to know what's really going on in the rest of the world. The statement is really so stupid it's hardly worth commenting on.

The stage is now set for us to sit back and see what reprocussions(if any) NBC will instill on Costas.
If NBC does not at least make him go on air with a formal apology, it must mean they share the views of Costas. And it must be OK for their news/sportscasters to not only share unbiased news with us but to promote their own personal political agenda's while using NBC's air time for that purpose.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:23 AM   #39
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Lies.

Suicide rates don't change from one society to another, regardless of gun availability. Suicides with guns decline when guns aren't available, but suicides do not.

A young, professional athlete, a man in his physical prime who plays one of the most violent and physically demanding sports in the world, definitely could kill a petite woman with his bare hands.

That second point needs to be more widely understood, especially by petite women dating high-testosterone young men.

pax
Amen! If the girlfriend had a gun perhaps this drugged up violent individual would have thought twice about attacking her. Or if he persisted she would have had a chance to defend herself against a superior physical force.

When idiots like Bob Zumbo Costas make off topic rants like this it is a sign they no longer relate to their audience and have come to believe what they think is more important than their stupid audience. They only way they can be reminded they work for a living at the pleasure of paying customers is for the customers to walk away.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:36 AM   #40
Pilot

I just heard another sports commentator, Jim Gray, on Fox News agreeing with Costas. Their argument is no gun available means no murder or suicide. What about a kitchen knife, hammer, baseball bat, or his bare hands? Just because a gun is not present doesn't mean a murder can't happen. Plus to commit suicide he could have driven his car into a wall, or done it other ways.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:14 AM   #41
Glenn E. Meyer

It is a deliberate attempt to avoid looking at the flaws of the sports culture which exploits and damages these young men. It also as repercussions for society in general but that's not a gun issue.

It's a PR coverup for the NFL.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:15 AM   #42
KMAX

The comment is an insult to all who hear it and to Javon Belcher himself. It implies that the man was not bright enough to think of another way to commit the crime. I think we can all agree that the incident was a very sad thing, but to blame an inanimate object is stupid when it was the actions of the man that are to blame. It would be no different than blaming cars for vehicular homicide/manslaughter. Concussions? I question that explaination too. How many people get concussions and never harm anyone because of it. It was something in the mind of the man himself. Still it is sad.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 3, 2012, 11:20 AM   #43
jibberjabber

Costas' comments really surprised me. I had always considered him to be insightful, but his "guns are to blame" perspective has changed that. Opinions aside, it's just not an intelligent argument. I was slightly embarrassed for him.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:29 AM   #44
Pilot

Quote:
It is a deliberate attempt to avoid looking at the flaws of the sports culture which exploits and damages these young men. It also as repercussions for society in general but that's not a gun issue.

It's a PR coverup for the NFL.
I totally agree with this post. The NFL is a big business, and like any business it is ALL about money. This is a way to deflect the discussion away from brain injuries, and potential huge losses in liability suits to gun control. The sports culture and sports media is largely very liberal.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:48 AM   #45
cannonfire

Quote:
How many people get concussions and never harm anyone because of it.
Actually, there is a (for lack of a better word) disease (maybe condition?) that has been tied to NFL players with concussions and the inability to rationalize their actions. Junior Seau, before he committed suicide, wrote a letter saying he wanted doctors to examine his brain because he knew something was not right. From what I understand, they found something along the lines of chronic concussions damaging the part of the brain that allows a person to rationalize. Seau knew what he was doing was wrong but could not rationalize himself out of his actions. That's why he shot himself in the chest so that doctors could examine his pain.

I think there are a number of factors to this other than the use of a handgun.
1. He played the most physical position in the most physical game in sports
2. He was known to be using (addicted?) pain killers for his injuries.
3. He was a heavy (addicted?) drinker
4. He grew up in not the greatest part of Long Island.

The gun was only the means, not the reason. He wasn't some alter boy who found a handgun under his parents bed and shot up a school because he had a gun in his hands.

I guess the guns Charles Whitman used were to blame and not his mental state... Charles Whitman Autopsy
Old December 3, 2012, 12:16 PM   #46
Pointshoot

That's why I don't waste my time watching sports on t.v.

If I'm going to watch a sporting event - - - it will be to cheer on one of the kids in the family. I don't really care what the score is (except that the kids care, alot about it).

t.v. is nothing but propaganda. Personally I could care less what some knucklehead says on t.v.
Old December 3, 2012, 12:31 PM   #47
nate45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
A young, professional athlete, a man in his physical prime who plays one of the most violent and physically demanding sports in the world, definitely could kill a petite woman with his bare hands.

That second point needs to be more widely understood, especially by petite women dating high-testosterone young men.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Equalizer.jpg (38.8 KB, 107 views)
Old December 3, 2012, 12:53 PM   #48
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Opinions aside, it's just not an intelligent argument.
What gets me is that it wasn't even Costas' argument; he was using Whitlock's article as a springboard.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:15 PM   #49
Pointshoot

Costas is another talking head . . . used to reading what others script for him.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:30 PM   #50
Coyote Blue

The real back story of Jovon is here in the New York Post. Drugs,Alcohol and Concussions.

Quote:
Chiefs linebacker Belcher struggled with head injuries, alcohol and painkillers before he snapped and killed girlfriend: report
Closed Thread