The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 19, 2023, 10:09 AM   #1
tangolima

Huqsvarna hunting rifle

Saw an used huqsvarna bolt action in .30-06 at local store. Forgot the exact model. Asking for $400 with scope. Based on what I read, they are pretty good rifles. Mauser action, controlled feed.

Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2023, 11:49 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Husqvarna sold rifles on Mauser actions, as Model 640 1898, while the Model 1640 is the "HVA Improved Mauser" which Frank DeHaas said is kind of a super '96.
Simpsons has a bunch of them for $495 and up, so $400 with a decent scope seems a good buy.
Old November 19, 2023, 02:05 PM   #3
tangolima

Thanks. I'm tempted. Will go check it out again.

-TL

Old November 19, 2023, 03:09 PM   #4
hammie

@Tango: I have one. The wife was in a local gun shop a couple of years ago on an errand for me, saw the husqvarna .30-06, and brought it home. I was not elated over the purchase, because I didn't really need another .30-06, but after examining the rifle, I became glad about the find. I think she paid a little under 500 $, out the door.

I also have a copy of Frank de Haas's "Bolt Action rifles", but I have never looked up the husqvarna, until now. Thanks, Mr. Watson, for the tip. Anyway, it appears that there were a first and second generation. The main difference between the rifles was that the second generation (beginning around 1960) had an anodized aluminum floorplate and box magazine. Mine is the earlier version with the steel bottom metal. I think they all came with a 60.0 cm (23.6 in) barrel. By present day expectations, the trigger is not the best, but it is serviceable. They are small ring mausers, and so be aware of that if you swap scope mounts. They are very well made rifles. You won't see the like of them again.
Old November 19, 2023, 03:23 PM   #5
tangolima

Thanks. I will look into it. If I end up buying it, I probably will "modernize" the optics; picatinny rail, scope with exposed turrets etc.

-TL

Old November 19, 2023, 05:52 PM   #6
HiBC

The wood behind the recoil lug is not reenforced. They can split there.

A cross bolt is not a bad idea. The forces of recoil tend to make the sides of the stock flex outward. Thats the force that splits the wood behind the lug.

Its common to relieve a little wood behind the upper tang. Not a bad plan,as the wrist curving down leaves that wood unsupported.

A good plan is to support the wood behind the recoil lug with the forward surface of the mag box, with some epoxy bed. Then epoxy behind the lower tang .Once thats done,the recoil is transferred to the well supported wood behind the trigger guard.

I learned this in a 1960 something GunDigest in an article on stocking Stopping Rifles.

The guard screws are not regular Mauser. I bought a new set for mine long ago from Forster.

Note the guard is a wide,full radius at the front guard screw, Its unique. You cant buy one easily.

Note there is a hole crossdrilled for the pin that is the hinge pin for the floor plate.

If you epoxy bed the guard floorplate in place,even with good release agent,I pulled on the trigger guard to remove the thing from the stock. When it came loose,the plate snapped in two right where that hinge pin created a stress riser. The boss around the front guard screw acts like a dowel pin in the epoxy . Pulling on the trigger guard tries to rock it out. It has to come out as a straight pull.

Its an unusually light receiver,and good for a light hunting rifle. Decades ago,Canjar made me up a trigger, I think you can get one from Timney,but its not the standard 98.

Mine is stamped "Tradewinds Husky 5000" on the barrel. I was able to find scope bases. I started with Weaver but I think it has Leupold weaver type now.

I bought it long enough ago it was $ 135 brand new at the gun store. I also bought a Remington 513 S 22 about the same time for $65. And a new Ithaca SKB Model 100 20 ga SXS for $230 something. 22 Rimfire was about 75 cents a box of 50 and CCI primers were about 75 cents a hundred.
I was buying Hodgdon 4831 bulk for $1.60 a pound.
New GI 30 carbine was 9 cents a round and GI 5,56 was 2 to 3 cents .

My Husky was a 7mm Rem Mag ,the barrel was,IMO,too short for a 7mm Rem.
The guard was broke and the stock repaired. I stripped the receiver from it.

Made the locking lugs full contact. Set it up on a surface grinder and lightly trued all surfaces,including the receiver ring face. Ordered a Lilja 30 cal barrel and an Elliot 30/338 reamer. And a 20oz HiTec Specialties stock.
It wears a Leupold 3,5 to 10x Boone and Crockett scope.
I used ballistic software to predict a 200 gr Nosler Accubond at 2900 fps would align very well with the ranges of the B+C reticle at roughly "Elk Altitude"

It worked!
Old November 20, 2023, 12:28 AM   #7
tangolima

Thanks for the info. I probably would add cross bolt / rod to enforce the wood behind the recoil lug.

-TL

Last edited by tangolima; November 20, 2023 at 01:12 AM.
Old November 23, 2023, 12:25 PM   #8
tangolima

Went back to the shop. Now the price is $599. I think they mislabeled it before. I will pass.

-TL

Old November 23, 2023, 12:36 PM   #9
robin banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
Saw an used huqsvarna bolt action in .30-06 at local store. Forgot the exact model. Asking for $400 with scope. Based on what I read, they are pretty good rifles. Mauser action, controlled feed.

Any inputs are appreciated. Thanks.

-TL

400 for that rifle with a scope? is this post from 1989?
Old November 23, 2023, 02:23 PM   #10
tangolima

$399 was a few weeks ago. Shops mislabels sometimes. I saw one browning a5 on bargain rack for $250. I went for it, and was told it was mislabeled. They didn't realize it was a real browning.

This Husqvarna is also on bargain rack.

-TL

Old November 23, 2023, 04:10 PM   #11
Paul B.

"Went back to the shop. Now the price is $599. I think they mislabeled it before. I will pass."

I gave $400 a few years back for a Husqvarna 640 barreled action. My preference is for rifles on Mauser actions, most if those I have are on the Sears M50s. They make nice custom rifles. I have to say though, that "Husky" 640 is one of the smoothest actions I've worked with. I just have to conjure me up a hunt to see what it'll do. Mines a 30-06 BTW.
Paul B.
Old November 24, 2023, 10:54 AM   #12
10-96

Thanks for posting on this Tangolima, it was interesting to read. I was under the impression for years that the Husks were about a half a notch above the Santa Fe/Golden State Arms mausered rifles. Guess I wasn't far off.

I had 2 Golden States (still have 1). I think they are made on a Santa Barbara Mauser action with sits somewhere between 2 different types of large ring actions. One of them, I got on the cheap because it also wasn't supported well behind the recoil lug and had a split stock. I epoxied the crack, added a cross bolt, and did the bedding as you described. Both of them are/were great shooters.
Oh, and the one I currently have has a Timney trigger in it. I'm thinking it is a standard Large Ring Timney.
Thanks again for letting us read about your Husk.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old December 2, 2023, 04:20 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

Quote:
$399 was a few weeks ago.
If I wanted the rifle at $399 and came back for it only to find it marked up, I would consider it a fine opportunity to brush up on my haggling skills....
They probably got it for a good bit less than $399 anyways.
Old December 2, 2023, 05:39 PM   #14
Paul B.

10-96 said, "I was under the impression for years that the Husks were about a half a notch above the Santa Fe/Golden State Arms mausered rifles. Guess I wasn't far off."

Personally, I consider the Husky 640 to be well above the Santa Fe/GoldenState gun. The use the FN M98 action. Frankly, If I'd seen the $599 Husky I'd been doing some serious haggling. I had a Husky 640 back in the 1960s, the lightweight in 30-06 and am still kicking myself for selling it. I snagged a standard 64a a while back, just a barreled action and currently have it in a somewhat cobbled stock. Health problems have kept me from doing any shooting for some time but I'm hoping to get out when it warms up a bit. The Husqvarna 30-06 have a 1 in 12" barrel twist BTW. The lightweight I had back then shot reasonaly well even with 200 gr. bullets so I think the one I have now should do OK.
Paul B.
Old February 27, 2024, 10:55 AM   #15
Buckeye!

Owned one in 9.3x62 .. great rifle
Old February 27, 2024, 12:00 PM   #16
taylorce1

The 640 action is a commercial 98 action. The 1640 is kind of a hybrid action with the barrel and screw spacing being the same as a small ring 98. They can make a nice lightweight hunting rifle when compared to commercial and military Mauser 98 actions. I have a 1640 action with Dakota 3 position safety and Timmney trigger.

I haven't built anything on it yet as the stock is the biggest issue I'm running into. I can't find a decent stock that isn't going to cost me an arm. I want to build it into a 6.5X55 someday.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 27, 2024 at 12:07 PM.
Old February 28, 2024, 11:18 AM   #17
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolima View Post
$399 was a few weeks ago. Shops mislabels sometimes. I saw one browning a5 on bargain rack for $250. I went for it, and was told it was mislabeled. They didn't realize it was a real browning.
I once went into a shop and didn't see anything interesting. Then in a bargain rack stuck away in a corner. I saw a front sight poking out that looked Germanic, so I investigated. It was a Voere semiauto that had been sold by Sears. Unlike most Sears guns, it still had the factory markings, with a tiny "Ted Williams" stamp added to the barrel. It was tagged as a "Sears 22" for $99. I bought it. When I went back to pick it up after the California waiting period, the manager almost choked when he was what it was and what I'd paid, but it was too late for him to do anything at that point.