The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 17, 2009, 07:13 PM   #1
ClemBert

Walker used in Lonesome Dove min-iseries

I DVR-ed and watched the mini-series "Lonesome Dove" that was re-released on AMC this past weekend on the series 20th anniversary. I noted seeing Robert Duval wielding a Walker Colt as his holstered sidearm. It appeared to be converted to a cartridge firearm. The question is, what cartridge do you suppose the Walkers were converted to? Surely not .45 Colt as that would have been a downgrade in powder capacity.

Also noted a few of the other actors are using 1860 Colts some of which appear to be converted to cartridge. It was cool to see some period correct firearms. I'm not sure what the exact year as depicted is but I'd guess late 1870's or 1880's.
Old June 17, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The convenience of cartridge loading would outweigh the theoretical loss in powder capacity of the percussion cylinder versus .45 Colt.

My old Haven and Belden book shows a Dragoon converted to .44 rimfire; but nothing on Walkers. There is a book on the subject you might refer to.
Old June 17, 2009, 07:25 PM   #3
simonkenton

I noticed Robert Duvall wielding the Walker.
What a cannon!

I was inspired to go look one up at cabelas.com, damn thing weighs 4 1/2 pounds.
You would need to have a servant to carry your pistol.
Old June 17, 2009, 07:30 PM   #4
ClemBert

Kind of sounds like it was neutered by a conversion to .45 Colt (assumed at this point). The converted Walker would not have been any more powerful than a converted 1860 Colt or 1858 Remington.

None-the-less it was GRAND to see a Walker, even if converted, being used as a holstered sidearm in the mini-series.
Old June 17, 2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Deadguy

I read somewhere that the Walker in the Lonesome Dove mini-series was converted to fire .38 special blanks. It was neutered into a prop gun only!
Old June 17, 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Smokin_Gun

I don't remember seein' the Walker as anything but a C&B revolver...but maybe that was jus' my minds eye watchin'...as I recall the scene in the bar where thier pictures were hangin' it was a C&B Rev... I'll have to watch it again... I noted only a Union cap box on Robert's lt no cartridges...just the Walker a knife and a black capbox.
I must have watched it ten times at least when I copied it a time ago as it came to the Video rental stores and never noticed cartridges other than in the rifle.
I had a .45Colt conversion for my Colt Dragoon...with 35gr of fffg and a '255gr' conical it kicked harder than my 42gr load of fffg with a .457"RB...remeber a cart has the ability to create more pressure in a chamber than a RB ...I do believe, try it...
I'll go watch it again tonite...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 17, 2009, 09:12 PM   #7
Wobble

According to an article in the excellent magazine, Guns of the Old West, titled "Guns of Comanche Moon and Lonesome Dove," Gus carried the 1847 Walker his whole life (in the story).

Although the article doesn't say specifically what cartridge conversion was used in the movie, the article talks about the .45 LC R&D conversion cylinder that is commonly available for that gun now.

Therefore, it would have been easy and cheap to use an available conversion cylinder and fire .45 LC blanks for the movie.

I have an Uberti 1847 Walker and it is a massive gun -- a hand cannon. I can't imagine it being shot for long periods of time without suffering severe arm fatigue. Even carrying it on a belt or holster would have been difficult.
Old June 17, 2009, 09:19 PM   #8
mykeal

The key to carrying a Walker in a belt holster (it was intended to be carried in a saddle holster, and was originally called a "Horse Pistol" by Colt's) is to have a very heavy, thick belt and holster made of horsehide. The gun only weighs 4 1/2 lbs, which is admittedly a lot for a handgun but it isn't like a bowling ball. That much weight will eat a normal belt an holster alive in a very short time, and the resulting lack of control has the gun banging around against your hip and thigh with really unpleasant effect. But, with a good strong belt and holster you have control of the weight, and the belt distributes the weight more evenly so it isn't noticed quite as much.

Now, as for forearm and shoulder strength to hold it on target...use two hands.
Old June 18, 2009, 01:43 AM   #9
Smokin_Gun

And suspenders to keep yer britches up... :O)
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old June 18, 2009, 04:12 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
I read somewhere that the Walker in the Lonesome Dove mini-series was converted to fire .38 special blanks. It was neutered into a prop gun only!
It was converted to .38 spcl. but I don't remember anything saying it fired blanks only. Knowing Hollyweird you're probably right.
Old June 18, 2009, 05:25 AM   #11
EmptyHull

How about the long shot with the Henry! Awesome movie. Tim
Old June 18, 2009, 06:52 AM   #12
pwillie

Did not Gus,carry his cross draw? I have a Dragoon and tried it cross draw,works better for me.
Old June 18, 2009, 11:40 AM   #13
Arquebus

Quote:
with 35gr of fffg and a '255gr' conical it kicked harder than my 42gr load of fffg with a .457"RB
Don't forget a .457" roundball only weighs 144gns, that's a little over half the weight of the standard .45LC bullet.

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).
Old June 18, 2009, 11:46 AM   #14
ClemBert

Quote:
According to an article in the excellent magazine, Guns of the Old West, titled "Guns of Comanche Moon and Lonesome Dove," Gus carried the 1847 Walker his whole life (in the story).
Just read an internet blurb that said in the book, Gus carries a Dragoon not a Walker. I wonder if in the book it talks about whether or not the firearm has been converted to cartridge.
Old June 18, 2009, 01:13 PM   #15
LHB1

When Gus left to go after Blue Duck, he asked someone to get him a box of ammo from the wagon so his movie gun was supposedly chambered or converted for cartridge use.
Old June 18, 2009, 03:32 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
Just read an internet blurb that said in the book, Gus carries a Dragoon not a Walker. I wonder if in the book it talks about whether or not the firearm has been converted to cartridge.
Actually you weren't supposed to notice the gun in the movie was converted.
Old June 18, 2009, 03:51 PM   #17
RK65

Gus's cross draw setup inspired me to make my own cross draw holster for my Walker.
I used it in a CAS shoot and it worked fine around the range, of course you don't draw as fast as the guys with the handy Peacemakers. I didn't had to pull up my pants too much. See attache pic.
Taking a Walker to a CAS shoot is not about speed, I guess, more about just having fun making noise and smoke.

ClemBert:
>>Just read an internet blurb that said in the book, Gus carries a Dragoon not a Walker.

CLEM, Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a Walker is considered a Dragoon pistol(revolver) too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walker Holster.JPG (199.2 KB, 103 views)
Old June 18, 2009, 04:02 PM   #18
mykeal

Quote:
CLEM, Correct me if I am wrong but I thought a Walker is considered a Dragoon pistol(revolver) too.
They were both considered 'Horse Pistols'. The names Walker and Dragoon are contemporary.
Old June 18, 2009, 05:11 PM   #19
ClemBert

Quote:
I meant "Dragoon" in the sense of the Colt model type of revolver used rather than the general term as in a "horse mounted soldier".

Walker Revolver versus Dragoon Revolvers
Old June 18, 2009, 05:24 PM   #20
EmptyHull

Nice pic RK65. Tim
Old June 18, 2009, 06:53 PM   #21
RK65

ClemBert, sorry for the misunderstanding on my side.

>>Nice pic RK65. Tim

Thanks
Old June 19, 2009, 05:33 PM   #22
Oldfalguy

great pics

While I would like to have a Walker I just do not see me shooting it-
It FEELS like a child's bowling ball (hahaha) in that its seems so much heavier than my S&W model 57 8" and that is about all the gun i want to shoot with one hand. Held one at a funshow, dang it was something else-
Old June 19, 2009, 07:23 PM   #23
hodaka

Just the tool to whack a surly bartender.
Old June 21, 2009, 02:57 PM   #24
Thermodyne

Historically, Walkers were converted to fire 44-40 rifle loads as opposed to pistol loads. AFAIK it was only a bullet weight/length difference but did raise the pressure a lot.
Old June 21, 2009, 07:25 PM   #25
Hawg

Quote:
Historically, Walkers were converted to fire 44-40 rifle loads as opposed to pistol loads. AFAIK it was only a bullet weight/length difference but did raise the pressure a lot.
There is/was no 44-40 rifle load. Just the one load for both but the .44 bore was too big to convert to 44-40. The original conversion was .45 Colt.