The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2008, 03:13 PM   #1
ebutler462

Remington LT-20: Yes or No?

I have found a used Remington LT-20 that is pertneat perfect. I have been pretty good at handing out advice to others but now I need some unbiased advice.

I have fallen in love with the looks and the feel of this gun. I don't need it and am wondering if I really want it. The local gun shop has $499 on the tag price but I'm sure that I can get them down a bit.

This gun has an IC fixed choke. I have two safes full of shotguns and rifles and normally use a Franchi 48 for my 20 gauge use.

Now that this gun has flung a craving on me, I can't think straight enough to give myself advice.

What would you do? Consider the price and if I really should bother with it. It is not a pawn shop so the dealer's price is not going to be haggled much.

Good deal? Bad deal? Help me out here a bit. Anybody got a LT-20? My nerves are shot just thinking about that little beauty.

I don't want to do anything stupid because I've fallen in love with it. I can get over it if you guys that are thinking straight tell me to back off. I'll take a Valium and go to bed until the symptoms pass.

Thanks!
Old November 23, 2008, 05:15 PM   #2
kentucky_smith

I'd rather have your Franchi. In fact, I traded my LT20 special field for an Al48.

The Rem should recoil less, all other things being equal, but I couldn't tell the difference.
Old November 23, 2008, 07:03 PM   #3
lockedcj7

I've had several over the years and I love them. The reason I've traded them away is that they don't actually fill a need. I have heirloom 20s that I can use so the redundancy seems silly. I usually trade them for something else I want more at the moment.

$500 strikes me as a little high, especially for one with fixed choke. I've never paid more than $400 for one and I've bought two for $350 ea, including the one I have now. It's a youth-synthetic with rem chokes that I bought for my son. Unless I come across an 11-87 youth-synthetic, I'll probably keep this one for a while.
Old November 23, 2008, 09:00 PM   #4
HuntAndFish

Buy it. Once you have it awhile maybe you'll want to trade for something else, or maybe you won't. Either way, you win.
Old November 23, 2008, 09:56 PM   #5
ebutler462

The gun in question has a 23" barrel and a straight stock. It has LT-20 on the receiver.

Could this be the Field Special model?
Old November 24, 2008, 12:15 AM   #6
olddrum1

I have one and its been a great gun over the years but the price is a little steep I believe. Go to Remington and find the age of it.
Old November 24, 2008, 01:08 PM   #7
BigJimP

$ 500 for a fixed choke gun is too much in my opinion. For me, a fixed choke gun doesn't meet my needs so I would have to send it to Briley and have screw in chokes put in the barrel which is going to put way more money in the gun than its ever going to be worth but ....... I know you're in love with this gun / so you should probably buy it - and not let any of us talk you out of it regardless of whether we would buy it or not - make the best deal you can and don't look back.

I have a LT-20, although my step son has had it for several years. I think they're pretty good guns.
Old November 24, 2008, 02:55 PM   #8
ebutler462

The gun was gone when I arrived at the shop.
Old November 24, 2008, 02:59 PM   #9
BigJimP

Now I feel bad ( but I didn't do it ....).

You could aggravate yourself more by asking what the gun sold for ...

But honestly, I see a lot of the LT-20's around ( especially with fixed chokes ). And sometimes the hunt for another one is more fun than having the other one .....if that makes any sense..
Old November 24, 2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Pahoo

It was an upland model and I have one as well as the regular one. I think these LT-20's are pretty neat and like how they handle in the field. I paid $360 for my upland, about two years ago and would not take less thatn $450.00 today, if I wanted to sell it and I don't. There was also a LW-20 but I like these better. You will see them again as they are not all that rare.

Be Safe !!!