The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2008, 11:37 AM   #1
straz

.270 win help

I'm trying to work up a load for my .270 using H4831 and a 130gr NBT. The thing is I'm running into conflicting data from my books. In my lyman book it says the max charge with this powder is 58.0gr and is a compressed load with a C.O.L. of 3.25. Now in my hodgon book it says with the same bullet and powder the max charge is 60.0gr with a C.O.L. of 3.180. Now my question which book should I go by?
Old September 29, 2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Scorch

If it were me working up a load, I would never start out at max, so the issue would never come up. I would recommend starting out at about 57 gr and working up from there in .5 gr increments until you find a load that is safe and accurate. That may be at or below either of the recommended charges, it depends on the individual rifle. COL should be set to safely meet your rifle's throat measurements.
Old September 29, 2008, 12:12 PM   #3
mkg

straz, The load I'm using is 59.7 gr. H4831 and 130gr Nosler Bal.Tips. The powder chanrge is .7 grains higher than the max according to Nosler #6.
The COAL is 3.424 inches.
This load prints 1.5" at 200 yards.

Please work up to this load as it is over the max load suggested .

I'd go by Hodgdon ......

Mike
Old September 29, 2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Shoney

Straz: WELCOME to the forum!

Take a closer look at the weapons/brass/primer used in Lyman and Hodgdon workups. They are probably very different, and also different from your weapon. A lot of factors go into determining pressure, volume and velocity.

Combinations of factors can cause great variances in velocity/pressure. Here are a few factors:

Primer: strength, brisance - is a measure of the rapidity with which an explosive develops its maximum pressure
Barrel: length; tightness of bore; height of the lands; distance of bullet to lands; temperature of barrel;
Bullet: bearing surface of bullet, alloy of bullet; shape of bullet;
Brass: new/used elasticity; manufacturer, volume;
Powder: new, aged, old, batch powder was from;
Weather: ambient air temp., barometric pressure, humidity
Elevation: above sea level
Other: I am sure I have not listed all.

Bottom line - - - use the books as references, not gospels. Examine the data, select a low starting load, and work up loads slowly, watching for pressure signs.

Good Shooting!!!!!!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old September 29, 2008, 12:26 PM   #5
straz

Just to clarify I'm not trying to get a maximum load, I was curious as to why the books were so different in their load data. I'm not looking for max velocity or anything I just want an accurate load as I can get hence the reason for my reloading. Thanks for help
Old September 29, 2008, 12:30 PM   #6
mkg

straz , In that case I would do a search for "ladder testing "
No one can tell you "THE" load for "YOUR" gun, it will vary gun to gun.
It takes time at the range to find what your gun likes.

Mike
Old September 29, 2008, 04:23 PM   #7
crowbeaner

I use the Hodgdon book myself for rifle loads. If I'm loading shotgun shells, then I tend to stick with the Lyman SS manual. Hodgdon's #25 and #26 have more realistic maximum charges in my experience. Start low and work up always works. Jack O' Conner used 60.0 of the old H4831 as his load for decades with a 130 grain bullet. Todays' powder would probably be 59.0 max because of differences in the powder and brass thicknesses.
Old September 29, 2008, 06:22 PM   #8
jamaica

What is the vintage of your books?

In my 1967 Hornady manual the 130 Gr Spire point with 4831 is redlined at 61.0 Gr.

In my 2007 Hornady manual the 130 Gr Spire point with 4831 is redlined at 62.0 Gr.

As has been said, there are lots of variables, and the loads may change some with each edition of the books.

When I was working up a load for my rifle, I tried several powders and all of them except the 4831 showed high pressure indications before getting close to the listed maximum. That is why I have stayed with 4831.

In the end I settled for 55.6 Gr 4831. This has been an accurate load for my rifle. You see this is quite a bit below maximum, but it is the point that things settled down and the bullets were hiting very close together. That is what I want. I don't even care if it may be pushed a bit faster.

Two of my sons also worked up loads for their 270s, one a Ruger and one a Remington, and their rifles were different and needed a little different load. We never found a "load for all".

Start low and work up slowly as has been advised.
Old October 2, 2008, 06:06 AM   #9
MADISON

270 loading help needed

When I had a 270 Winchester I loaded 56.0 grains of H-4831 with:
130 grain
150 grain
and 170 grain bullets
Powders have changed over the years. Get several loading manuals and find out what is now MAX!