The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 27, 2006, 10:48 PM   #1
wmcleod

??'s On WW Greener

I've had a 12 GA Double Barrel Side by Side for a few years but haven't been able to find any info or pics on this certain gun. The top of the gun in between the barrels reads:, W.W. Greener "The Trap Gun" 68 Haymarket London. The gun comes apart in 3 pieces with the same serial # on all 3. I was wondering if you had any other info on this gun, (websites, addresses, or fax #'s), Or where i could get parts for it. One of the hammers is broke and the other has a crack in it. Any info is very much appreciated, Thanks
Old November 28, 2006, 09:53 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

William Wellington Greener was one of the major English gun makers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. His factory in the "gun quarter" of Birmingham made primarily shotguns, mostly double barrel, and he was the inventor of several advances in shotgun design. He also wrote several books, one of which "The Gun and Its Development" which went through 10 editions and is still available in reprint. It is not only informative on guns but provides an interesting look into the English "sporting life" of the period. (The shooter is advised to "have your man" clean the guns after shooting.)

There were many imitators, using variations of the name (Breener, W.W. Dreener, etc.) but yours appears to be the real thing. The factory was in the "gun quarter" of Birmingham; the London address was a retail store.

The company continues, in a much reduced form, and has a web site - www.wwgreener.com that has a lot of info. They also have a research service which will provide data on Greener guns for a modest fee. I urge you to take advantage of it.

Now the hammers. No parts are available for those guns. Repro shotgun hammers are available from Dixie Gun Works and others, but they are cast and not of high quality. I would have Greener do the research and if the gun appears to be valuable, I would have the hammers made. You might even ask them if they would do the job as they would be the very best source. You would probably have to ship them the gun, but take their advice. There would, I think, be little problem in getting approval to ship a gun like that - it is not exactly a modern "assault rifle".

I don't want to try to give a value without seeing the gun and doing a lot more research, but some Greener guns are quite pricey. You can do a Google search on "w w greener" and they turn up on several auction sites so you can get a rough idea of the value.

Jim