The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2006, 02:31 PM   #1
ehood87

smooth bore for wingmaster?

Does remington make a smooth bore barrel for the 870 wingmaster??
Old October 27, 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
newerguy

Yes. Almost all of them are. My 870 has a 20" smooth bore with rifle sights and a 28" with a bead. Rifled shotgun barrels are kind of a special purpose thing for using sabot slugs.
Old October 27, 2006, 04:05 PM   #3
ehood87

thanks for your help i am definatly going to get the 870 super mag i just gotta get my fire arms id card first
Old October 28, 2006, 06:22 PM   #4
newerguy

It's almost 100% that the factory barrel will be smooth. There could be slug guns out there. Well, the are slug guns out there for sale, but I don't know if the 870 Wingmaster super mag is ever sold that way. I've never heard of a rifled barrel with a front bead. I've only ever seen them with rifle sights, but like I said, my smooth barrel has rifle sights two. I actually have a slug barrel my father left to me. He thought you used a rifled barrel for rifled (foster) slugs. It's not even a Remington barrel, it's an aftermarket barrel.

Even on a shotgun, I like rifle sights (peep sights first and open sights next), but if you're getting a super mag, I suppose you're a bird hunter.
Old October 28, 2006, 06:53 PM   #5
biglabsrule

Another Question to compound onto

I knew that q but am wondering is it a bad idea to use a slug down an imporved modify standard barrel? not rifled slugs but just standard... I'm new to shotguns as I just bought a wingmaster this september. I do have a slug barrel but was wondering this for say if you were hunting turkey but saw a coyote and wanted to slip a slug in while you have a modified choked barrel. Everything I know says that it's to tight for the slug and wouldn't try it but I am new...
Old October 29, 2006, 03:31 PM   #6
newerguy

I don't know. I have only ever shot slugs out of cylinder and imporoved cylinder. Since no one posted, I can tell you that I did a Yahoo search and found a few barrel and shotgun manufacutures recommending improved cylinder for slugs. In the scheme of things, an improved modified is significantly smaller than improved cylinder.

BTW, your garden variety slugs, like Remington 12 ga. 2 1/2 inch "slugger" shotgun slugs are rifled slugs. A lot of people call them Foster slugs. Remmington "Buckhammer" slugs are entirely different, and are not rifled, thus you'd do better with a rifled slug barrel. I've seen rifled Foster slugs sold as hollowpoints, but that doesn't seem to mean anything, since the Foster slugs I've recovered from game squash instead of mushroom.

What about using 00 Buck for coyote? I don't hunt anymore. I only once went coyote hunting, and no one got anything. I took an 870 with 00 Buck. I don't know what your local laws are as far as coyote, buckshot, and shooting coyote while turkey hunting. Where I was, coyote weren't protected anyway.
Old October 31, 2006, 08:58 PM   #7
butwhat

I've rolled coyote at 70 yards with 3 1/2" 00 buck. You will need to check your local laws to see if it is legal to have 00 buck with you while turkey hunting. I've had coyote within range while goose hunting but do to the rules didn't have anything on me I could shoot them with.