The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 29, 2002, 12:01 AM   #1
claypigeon

Savage 110 help please

Hello,

I just bought a savage 110 in 243 caliber, need suggestions for a mid to high price scope ($250-$450) from all you experts (novice suggestion are also welcome) . Would also like suggestions for a replacement trigger since the trigger that is currently on it is gross!!:barf: :barf:
Thanks in advance!
Bird of clay
Old January 29, 2002, 12:32 AM   #2
Lefty

The old Weaver V-series are phenomenal for tracking (adjustment of the turrets) and are clearer than anything in their price range. Natchez @ www.natchezss.com had the 6-24X AO fine-plex @ $250 at the end of last year. That may be too much glass for you, you might want 10 or 16X as the high-end.

Check them out, also check out the Bushnell Elite 4200 series, they're over $300, but are as clear as Leupolds. Burris scopes are incredibly clear too and Natchez has factory refurbished scopes at a steep discount. I have a Burris 3-9X compact that is soooooooo clear it's amazing.

Then do a search on this or the smithy forum and look for the posts of the "Sharp Shooter Supply" trigger for the Savage rifles. In a word -- superb !! Tight groups to you sir !!
Old January 29, 2002, 01:46 AM   #3
Bob Locke

Are you looking to bust varmints WAY out there, or will most of your shooting be done at 200 yards or less?

SWFA is running a pretty sweet deal right now on Weaver V-16's or V-24's. If you buy one of the advertised scopes you get a nice Outers Varminter Rifle Rest for free.

http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/weaver/index.html

Very good scopes, plus about a $65-70 rest thrown in to boot.
Old January 29, 2002, 03:14 PM   #4
_YoYo_

That trigger is adjustable. It is not the best trigger around, but it sounds like you are on a budget and you could save yourself some money by working the trigger yourself. It will clean up quite a bit.. get down to about 2 lbs.

good luck to ya...
Old January 29, 2002, 03:33 PM   #5
Hemicuda

What YoYo said...

My 110 has a fully adjustable trigger, and will adjust down to about 1.5 lbs safely... (currently at about 2 to 2.25 lbs)

it "cleans up" as it goes down... and can even be lapped in for further smoothness.

no need to replace it, unless you feel you gotta... just be careful and watch the sear engagement... do the rubber mallet and "drop" tests... and it can be made into a very nice trigger...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old January 29, 2002, 04:19 PM   #6
Mad Man

Warning! Warning! Danger Will Robinson!

The SniperCountry.com web site has a page on how to adjust the trigger of a Savage 110 at http://www.snipercountry.com/trigger.htm , and it has this important warning:

The trigger (and its face that engages the sear) are sintered (made from powdered metal). This process results in a part that has a very hard, thin outer surface, yet is soft and ductile inside (both these properties are desirable). However, a gunsmith that does not know this may attempt to "stone" or polish this part, in an effort to "clean it up" and reduce friction.

This exposes the soft, underlying metal,

which will cause this part to rapidly wear

(and the soft underlying metal will have higher friction)!

Somebody makes a drop-in aftermarket trigger for the Savage, but at the moment I can't remember who...
Old January 29, 2002, 04:45 PM   #7
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The best buy in scopes in your price range is the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40----can be had for $399 pretty much anywhere.
-------Metallica
Old January 29, 2002, 07:37 PM   #8
gitarmac

BSA

My .308 110 came with such a crappy little sight that I decided anything else was better. For about 75 bucks at wally world I got a BSA classic 3x9x50. Lots of eye relief and it seemed a lot cleared than my friends 44mg, He may have had a dirty scope. Anyway, for my limited yardage (under 200 yards) the scope is good for the money.
Old January 29, 2002, 11:04 PM   #9
claypigeon

savage 110 help

Thanks all,

The suggestions and input are most highly appreciated!!!
I spend most of my time shooting trap or at the pistol range, this savage is one of my first rifle purchases and I will use it for coyote hunting or maybe deer hunting.
I was looking into getting a 4x14 either a burris,leupold or redfield for the above purposes,I JUST DONT KNOW WHICH ONE!!!
I think I can handle the trigger adjustment, I hope to keep it at about a 3-3.5 # pull. Thanks for the url madman.

Once again, Thanks
Old January 30, 2002, 02:48 PM   #10
Hemicuda

Maybe the new Savagew trigers ARE sintered metal...

if so, I'd be changing it ASAP...

MINE, (almost 20 years old) is most definitely NOT sintered metal... (I just checked)

if indeed it's sintered, Dayton-traister (inexpensive, but servicable) and Timney (very good stuff, maynard!) both sell aftermarket triggers for Savages, last I knew...

gun and car collector.
Rare cars, and rarer guns.
Old January 30, 2002, 04:03 PM   #11
Nodakmarine

I went with one of the Tasco SSM 10X42 scopes for my girlfriends Savage 10fp and it so far seems to work fairly well. They cost me about $399 from SWFA. As far as a trigger goes, I hated the creepy 5 pound trigger on mine too so I replaces it with one of the Sharp Shooter Supply triggers from Brownells. Now it's down to a crisp 1 1/2 pound trigger.