The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 19, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Shell'sButt

Graduation hunt

Okay, so my father has told me that if I finish High School on time, he will take me on a graduation hunt. I have chosen to go to Alaska for either bear or moose. I think moose are cute, so I chose the bear.

My question is this: which rifle do any of you think is best that meets the minimum requirements of taking down a full grown Grizzly? I currently own a .257 Roberts that has served my needs very well in the three years I have been hunting with my father. Will a 120gr bullet be enough for Grizzly?
Old July 19, 2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Strafer Gott

Get a soft shooting ,338 Win Mag with a good 225 grain bullet. Savage makes good ones for not a lot of money. I like the .257 Roberts, but I think it's too light for bears.
Old July 19, 2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Creeper

Quote:
Will a 120gr bullet be enough for Grizzly?
It's certainly been done... but I wouldn't want to personally find that out. Shot placement is important, but why risk the likelihood of less than perfect shot placement by compounding it with a less than preferable caliber?

At minimum, a 30-06 and a 200 grain bullet... minimum. After that, any of the .30 cal magnums... and up.

Cheers,
C
Old July 19, 2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From what's been written here over the last dozen years by guys from Alaska, a newbie after a Big Bear is generally advised to use something more than a .30-'06. Or even more than the .300 Win Mag. It's one thing for an experienced hunter to be able to control his adrenalin. For a newbie, that can be a problem--"sorta" solved by a cartridge with a lot of Oomph.
Old July 19, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Shell'sButt

Mr. Eatman,

This is a one time hunt, and being rather small, the less recoil in the gun, the better.

I have asked my father about this subject before and I don't remember him bringing up any of the calibers you have mentioned, so I shall show him your advise and, of course being a teenager, shall ask questions as to that effect. We already own a 30-06, and, if it should ever fall to that, it shall be for back up I think.

I thank you and everyone else for your suggestions

SB
Old July 19, 2012, 10:23 PM   #6
samsmix

Hooo boy. This is the part where I lay claim to the OP as my daughter, as well as out her as a bit of a troll; She knew the answer before she posted. Upon reading her post I reminded her that she had actually hunted for 4 years now, not 3. It should also be noted that her aversion is to Magnum recoil. She shoots the '06 into 1.5" at 100 yards from a hastily set up bipod. Her 50yard groups from cross sticks with a .58 cal sidelock run about 2.5". She has shot a .50 BMG well, and asked only for more ammo. Silly girl.

While she might, maybe, have tried a moose with the Roberts, brown bear of any kind would not be attempted by her, nor allowed by me. I have explained to her what "trolling" means...the other than fishing type that is.

As far as field marksmanship goes, she dumped her last speed goat at a measured 535 yards...with one single shot.

For the bruin? Dad is inclined to think along the lines of a .35 Wheelen.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old July 20, 2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Youngshooter

30-06 or higher, and I would sure as heck have a pistol or have someone by my side with a pistol just in case. Bears don't mess around when they get mad! Good luck with the hunt, Alaska is awesome and an absolutely beautiful place!
Old July 20, 2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Wyoredman

This is the best post I have seen in a long time! Youngster asking about a new rifle...hint, hint,hint! Dad coming along and correcting said youngster about all that is cosiddered "truth"! I love it.

It looks to me as if many good grades and hours of studying the three R's are in the cards for this young lady. She is going bear hunting with a new rifle!

Get that diploma and enjoy that bear tag!
Old July 20, 2012, 07:01 PM   #9
jmr40

Buy a 30-06, load it with 200-220 gr Nosler partitions or a 180 gr Barnes TTSX.

Read this.

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152

These are recomendations from the Alaska game and fish dept on bear defense. According to their tests the only rounds that outperformed the heavy loaded 30-06 were 375 mags. and larger. Several others have duplicated these tests and came to the same conclusion.

The 300 mags tied the 30-06 in performance at closer ranges and only offered an advantage at long range. The 30-06 out penetrated everything between .30-.375, including 338 mag, 45-70, 444, and 35 Whelen.
Old July 21, 2012, 02:42 AM   #10
samsmix

What sweet little Shell'sButt does not know is that her dear old Dad has his eye on two potential rifles for her: one is a stainless Ruger in .35 Wheelen, the other is a less costly Savage in .30-06. Either will suffice I think.

Dad on the other hand, is looking for a P-17 enfield so he can open it up to a magnum bolt face, and rechamber to .458 Win. with a target weight of around 8lbs., and barrel length of 20". It will NEVER be fired from a bench without a lead sled, but it should handle anything toothy & mean. This gun will revel in being tractor axle ugly, and under it's intended purpose will feel positively recoil free.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?