The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2006, 02:33 AM   #1
rustyfan

traditions o/u

have any of you guys had any experience with the traditions field II 20 gauge o/u?
Old October 28, 2006, 07:39 AM   #2
SmokinTom

Only with the 28ga. O/U. I didn`t care for it at all.Price was right so I had to try it.Then I sold It.Don`t miss it either.
Old October 29, 2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Warhorse

????

I recently bought a Traditions by Fausti Field III Gold in 12 Ga. This is at the higher end of the Traditions line. It looks great, feels good and seems to fit OK but there seems to be some sort of quirk with it.

On a rather warm day (high 80's) I started shooting trap. The first round went OK. Thereafter, my score dropped in half and in the 3rd round, my son-in-law managed to hit only one bird. The fourth round went the same way. [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]????

Later, on another warm day, I managed to pattern it for center of impact and found that from a cold upper barrel, each successive shot caused a progressively lower center of impact. Hmmm. There appears to be a heating problem! :barf:

Several days later, I repeated the patterning and the center of impact remained constant. This was on a 50 degree day so the barrel didn't really heat up much, even after 10 rounds.

I am hoping that this is an anomaly and plan to return it to Traditions for review/correction by their gunsmith.

However, in the interim, I was so disgusted that I went out and bought a Stoeger Condor O/U 12 Ga that worked great right out of the box. THAT one is a keeper! Shot my highest score in a long time with that one, 24/25!

Don't think that this will be of much help to you but I just had to gripe to someone!

Warhorse