The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 5, 2016, 10:32 AM   #1
mrray13

Spalted wood for Python

So, had to do an Honor Guard for a fallen department Corrections Officer, and got to thinking my nylon duty gear is not so pretty, and didn't really fit the Class A uniforms. So I want to do a high gloss Honor Guard rig, and I want to use my 4" Python as my carry piece. It's Royal Blue and about 85-90%, with mostly muzzle wear. But the grips, not factory, are hideous.

That said, I thought about bone or ivory, maybe stag. Yet, I'm not sure if I'd like any of those. Then I thought about a blonde colored spalted combat stock, man, that would be sweet. So I start my google-fu...and nothing. Lots of ivory/bone/stag/combat, but nothing spalted.

Anyone know of anything like that? Or other suggestions/help? Thanks!!
Old April 5, 2016, 11:43 AM   #2
Don P

Try sarge at the finer grain. He may be able to help. www.thefinergrain.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 5, 2016, 03:01 PM   #3
BBarn

Spalting, caused by fungus, generally weakens wood. That could be a reason it isn't very commonly seen on firearms, especially higher powered ones. It is often quite attractive, if not bold.
Old April 5, 2016, 04:49 PM   #4
BigJimP

Spalted wood needs to be stabilized by CA glue or something ....because it tends to be "punky" soft in spots.

I'd suggest you look for something in a burl instead..it'll still give you some different grain patterns and color variety that you probably like in the spalted.
Old April 5, 2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Rob228

Esmeralda is my go-to for grips, but it doesn't look like she makes any for the Python. She's got some great burled 1911 and J-frame grips though.
Old April 5, 2016, 06:01 PM   #6
Model12Win

A maple burl would look NOICE on a Python!!

And be stronger than spalted wood... which is pretty uncommon for handgun grips.
Old April 5, 2016, 07:18 PM   #7
603Country

I've got some spalted Pecan, which is almost white. And some spalted ash, which is attractive, but not as white as the pecan. I made a small stool of the spalted pecan a couple of years ago. The wood seemed quite stable. And, if you varnish it with the water based Minwax varnish, the color will stay white. If you use an oil based varnish, the wood will yellow somewhat. The water based varnish holds up real well, and has been the coating on my spalted ash workbench for maybe 10 years.

I'm a woodworker, so I have woods of all sorts. Most of it is more normal (walnut, cherry, white and red oak, hackberry, gum, sassafras, mesquite, and such as that).

I suppose I can send you some wood of your choice. Won't cost much.

As an alternate, look online at Woodcraft. They have all sorts of exotic woods. Bocote looks nice as grips. I made some for a buddy's revolver a while back.
Old April 6, 2016, 10:22 AM   #8
mrray13

Don P, Sarge couldn't help, but super fast response and a nice guy!

603Country, anyway of getting pics of the spalted wood you have? Could you inbox a price for some shipped to 62964? Or even quote me a price for a set of grips? And you can stabilize the wood with epoxy resin, correct? Thanks ahead of time for your time and info!
Old April 6, 2016, 07:17 PM   #9
603Country

I'll just get my wife to move her Zero Turn mower so I can get to the Pecan, and I'll see if it's hard or solid enough. I'll cut you some with good spalting and send it to you. You can reimburse me for shipping if you like.

I should have some that's an inch thick, in the rough, and I think I have some that's thicker. Tell me what size chunks you'd like. If you're going to run it through a planer, you'll need at least a foot in length. Or, I can run some through my planer and send smaller pieces, based on about twice the size of each grip panel on my Python.

PM me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk about it. Might have to wait till next week, since I'm off to a wedding Friday morning. But, if this is a real rush item, call me tomorrow and I can maybe get the wood off to you quickly.
Old April 6, 2016, 07:31 PM   #10
603Country

And you asked about a picture of the wood. As it's still in the rough cut state, a picture wouldn't tell you much till I ran it over the jointer or through the planer. Of course, I can do that for you next week, or just go ahead and send you some. Your call.
Old April 6, 2016, 08:40 PM   #11
tipoc

Try here...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ython&_sacat=0

Enter whatever search terms you care to.

Under vintage grips for colt python you see...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ython&_sacat=0

Try gun broker as well...

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...t+Python+grips

tipoc

Last edited by tipoc; April 6, 2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old April 7, 2016, 07:38 AM   #12
ScaryWoody

I like this one and for $42

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walnut-Pisto...UAAOSwbwlXAFb1
Old April 7, 2016, 01:20 PM   #13
mhblaw

Cary Chapman used to make what he called "gold stabilized spalted maple" grips that sure looked nice. He currently not making grips, but pics of some are still on his web page.
Old April 7, 2016, 04:01 PM   #14
Salmoneye

I've never bothered to 'stabilize' Spalted Maple...

If you cut it and dry it at the right time, it is still every bit as hard abd sturdy as if it were milled fresh cut...Don't let your logs lay much more than a year, and you should be fine...

Sorry about the size of the pics, but here are three sets a did a couple years back...If I get ambitious, I will take a pic of another set I have here waiting for a gun to slap em on:

Old April 8, 2016, 09:46 AM   #15
mrray13

Salmoneye, those are beautiful.

603Country, you have pm sir.
Old April 8, 2016, 09:55 AM   #16
tipoc

Quote:
Sorry about the size of the pics,
The pics are a good size for this format...you can see what needs to be seen.

tipoc
Old April 9, 2016, 03:35 PM   #17
603Country

I'm gonna use my Python and grips as a pattern to make a set of spalted Pecan grips for the OP. This should be fun and interesting, and I hope it turns out well. I've made grips a few times before, and they looked good, but I'll have to be super diligent with these. Don't want you guys to boo me.
Old April 11, 2016, 05:19 PM   #18
mrray13

603..it was awesome talking to you today sir! I can't wait to see the end result and to sport them on my Python!

Updates sometime in the future, lol, as I'm not putting any kind of rush on this.
Old April 12, 2016, 06:38 AM   #19
rodfac

Beautiful stocks there Salmon...Very Nice work. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old April 25, 2016, 06:38 PM   #20
mrray13

Just got an update and 603County is the man! Can't wait to post pics on their future home!

Thanks again 603!
Old April 26, 2016, 09:12 AM   #21
Salmoneye

Looking forward to seeing them...
Old April 26, 2016, 10:37 AM   #22
mrray13

I hope 603Country doesn't get too upset....

[IMG][/IMG]

While that's his Python, those beautiful grips will be adorning my 4" Royal Blue Python. And we can't wait! He's done an excellent job, one I'll forever be grateful for.
Old April 26, 2016, 10:38 AM   #23
mrray13

Now, he says they aren't done yet, but I'm stoked to see these on a royal blue Python!
Old April 26, 2016, 11:23 AM   #24
Salmoneye

Oh my...

Nice...

Very nice...
Old April 26, 2016, 12:21 PM   #25
603Country

I don't mind at all that you put up the picture. The last coat of finish is on, and I've rubbed it out lightly with a OOOO pad and some wax. Since I took the picture with a white background, it seems to have darkened or yellowed the look of the grips. They are a bit whiter than they appear. All in all, they were fun to make, but the closer I got to having a finished product, the more nervous I got about messing them up. Now I have all the woodworking jigs for making more, but I think I'll store the jigs and move on to something else. The walls of my workshop are covered with tools and jigs. I've had to write on all the jigs to remember what it is I used them for.

I'll really be interested in seeing pics of the pistol and of mmray13 in formal police gear with the python grips on the pistol.