The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 1, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Pukindog

C&R firearms bought without my C&R

I have had my C&R for at least twenty years. I can not find the answer to my question. The question is: Do I have to enter C&R firearms in my bound book if I did not purchase them with my C&R? I have gotten yes, no, and dunno answers. Anyone here know?
Thanks, Jeff
Old January 1, 2013, 11:15 AM   #2
jonnyc

Well, you've either asked the wrong people or looked in the wrong places; this is an easy one.
Any C&R eligible firearm that you received while in possession of a C&R license, the past 20 years in your case, MUST be recorded in your bound-book, whether you actually used the license to get the gun or not. Since you only have a day or two to record the receipt of the weapon, I would guess that you are already technically in violation. I would get recording if I were you.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Steve in PA

Whether you "use" your C&R to get the firearm or not, you are still governed by the C&R rules and regs, so yes, you must enter the C&R eligible firearm into your book.
Old January 1, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

The above answers are correct, you must log all C&R items acquired while you were licensed in your record book. Also, any C&R items you obtained prior to getting your FFL 03, while not required to be entered in your record book, must be entered in your record book if you dispose of them later on, while you are licensed, with entry to read "disposal from collection" or similar.
Old January 1, 2013, 05:04 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Agree with above and this is was covered in the first packet of info I received and the update I received when I had my C&R.

No idea how you will put all that together after 20 years. Especially seller info.

If you renounce your license you are no longer responsible for the records and may destroy them. If I were in your shoes I would cross my fingers, surrender, and re-apply after a bit and hope for a fresh start. Not that I am suggesting you do that as it is more than likely breaking a few more laws, but if I were in your shoes I would probably take that route.

I made a couple of clerical records after I first got my C&R, specifically the "FFL" record book I used requested slightly different info than I actually needed. I was able to contact the first 2-3 people I had transactions with and gather the necessary information without any problems though. I think it was their home address or maybe drivers license number or something that I had wrong.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Pukindog

C&R purchases

Thanks for the info. Fortunatly I am talking about the last 7 milsurps I purchased. Bought all of them from the same dealer at the same time. All were purchased using the 4473. Since I work at this gunshop I did not pay any transfer/NICS fees. Now to start recording.

Jeff
Old January 2, 2013, 09:37 PM   #7
CZVZ

So, am I understanding correctly that if one does not renew there license, you no longer have to maintain/archive your bound book? And therefore will not be audited?
Old January 3, 2013, 04:29 AM   #8
johnwilliamson062

Correct. Most shred it. You shouldn't take my word for it though.