The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 21, 2008, 11:21 AM   #1
birdshot

gun parts not right

i recently ordered extractor parts for my remington model 550. i was surprised the parts guy had parts for my 65 year old .22lr rifle. i put the parts in yesterday, i found the spring was twice as long as needed, the plunger was from a nylon 66 and needed to be modified, and the extractor was close enough that i could use it. not being a gun smith, i would have appreciated a note from the supplier telling me the supplied parts were in need of modifications. Is it normal to be sent parts for older guns that are only close?
Old March 21, 2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

It's very possible you got flat wrong parts.

With literally millions of parts for thousands of guns, it's hard for the supplier to always get it right.
Some have kids doing the parts picking, and they just ship whatever is in the bin the system tells them is the right part.

Sometimes it ISN'T the right part, or the picker opens the wrong bin.

Send the parts back, along with a good explanation of what gun you have, including the make, model, and serial number.
If possible describe the parts, or better, take a photo along with a ruler so they can SEE the parts.

Welcome to the world gunsmiths live in.
We spend hours fighting the Parts Wars trying to get the right parts.
Old March 21, 2008, 07:57 PM   #3
birdshot

dfariswheel, i made them work by modifying with my dremel tool. the parts were close, i am thinking the supplier sent parts for a later modification, since there were several mods for this rifle.
Old March 27, 2008, 12:58 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Dfariswheel,

++ to that! It got so bad that for a while on something simple like a .22 extractor or a plunger, when I had something to copy or a good guess on what it should look like, I just made the part. I could make something like that in 10-15 minutes, less time than filling out the order form. I would charge the supplier's retail price plus the shipping cost, plus installation, so it would work out all right.

Jim
Old March 28, 2008, 10:31 PM   #5
elkman06

For what it's worth, anyone needing older parts should contact Jack First Gun Parts in Rapid City SD. Search on the web and you will find them easily. By far the most knowledgeable and supplied folks I've ever dealt with.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"