The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2007, 01:52 PM   #1
steelrat

Powder

I have about 1/3 of a pound of RL22, can I dump the remainder of that into a new container of RL22 and be okay?
Old May 22, 2007, 02:02 PM   #2
TATER

I have never had any issues.
Old May 22, 2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Archie

Yes.

Make sure it's the same powder, of course.

Dump the old powder into the new container and mix it well.

Do not use your old load. Start over from the bottom and work up. Burn rates do vary slightly from lot to lot and caution is always prudent.

If you screw up and dump the old RL 22 into your new can of Green Dot, cry for three minutes (any longer and you're a sissy) and sprinkle it into the roses.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 22, 2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

You can if the cans of powder have the same lot number. If not, you still can do that if you mix them really well (usually just rotating and rolling the container in your hands for five minutes or so). Most cannister powders are blends to begin with. In order to keep reloading safe, the manufacturers set aside lots that come out of the manufacturing process especially fast and slow, then portion those into subsequent lots to adjust them to produce similar pressures in standard loads in cartridges commonly used with that powder. The only requirement is that the blended powders all be the same powder (same grain size and density) so the mix can't settle out in transport.

That adjustment approach doesn't work perfiectly, especially if a shooter uses the powder in a cartridge that is significantly smaller or larger than those the powder is usually used in. That is why, unless it is a reduced pressure load in the first place, introducing a new lot of powder always calls for you to reduce your recipe and work the load back up again, watching for pressure signs. The old rule of thumb is 10% reduction, but I find with modern cannister powder, it is rare that a matching load's difference is over 2.5% of charge. With a new lot number I always run a single 10% reduced round for safety's sake, but if it looks good I then jump to a 7% reduced round, then a 5% reduced round, then 3.5%. If pressure signs still look good at every step to that point, I will then start the more gradual 0.3 grain steps from 2.5%.

Needless to say, the above does not apply to non-cannister surplus powders. 10% reduction is mandatory with them, as they are not blended to match pressures and their lot-to-lot varaiance is a good deal higher.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 22, 2007, 08:23 PM   #5
FM12

That's what I do. No problems yet.