The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 15, 2006, 08:57 AM   #1
mete

Where was the threat ?

Here's a bizarre story. Not too much detail but where was the threat ? www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,199610,00.html
Old June 15, 2006, 09:17 AM   #2
HangFire83

I am embarassed to live 20 minutes away from where this happened.

Jeff Cooper.
Old June 15, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
Shaun

not even the police can shoot at a fleeing suspect....hope that genius gets a nice jail sentence.
Colt Cobra .38 Spl; Smith & Wesson M10 4"; Colt Detective Special; Ruger Security Six 6"; H&K USPc 40S&W; Smith & Wesson 686P 4"; Kimber Eclipse Pro II; Smith & Wesson M29 6.5"; 3-Screw Ruger Super Blackhawk; Glock 17
Old June 15, 2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Samurai

Curious... The news article says that the shooter was released upon further police investigation... I do not think that the news article told us the "whole story."

Now, the real question, and one that could bring this thread into the realm of "tactics and training," is as follows: Speculate for us. What could the naked man have done which might justify the guy to take a shot at him? My immediate speculation was that perhaps the naked guy had run towards the couple, or perhaps that the naked guy had thrown something at the couple, trying to distract them while he ran away???

Thoughts, people... What could have justified this?
Old June 15, 2006, 10:51 AM   #5
18DAI

In NC, unless the man had a weapon, or was larger than the potential victim, and the potential victim was in fear for his life, or great bodily harm or sexual assault, No justification to shoot. The fact that this mope was running away, removes the threat and all justification to shoot. Regards 18DAI.
Old June 15, 2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Samurai

I wonder if the police thought that a big naked guy bursting from the bushes in the middle of the night was sufficient to place a "reasonable person in imminent apprehension of death or serious bodily injury."

The news story said that the naked guy didn't want to pursue charges, and that's probably why the cops dropped it. Still, it's the DA's call whether to pursue charges, not the cops or the victim. This is a weird case...
Old June 15, 2006, 11:20 AM   #7
hispeed6

Fools like this make it hard on the rest of us...
Old June 15, 2006, 05:12 PM   #8
marlboroman84

Quote:
The news story said that the naked guy didn't want to pursue charges, and that's probably why the cops dropped it. Still, it's the DA's call whether to pursue charges, not the cops or the victim. This is a weird case...
In all actuality though if the victim doesn't want to press charges the only things the DA could really prosecute on would be things like discharging a firearm in city limits,carrying a concealed weapon (which is void if the guy had a permit anyway), brandishing,little things like that. Which could add up to some nice fines maybe a little jail sentence, but all misdeameanors (sp?) anyway. Usually unless it's a very small area if a victim doesn't want to press charges the DA will just drop it because whats the point of going to trial with no witness? This guy probably got real lucky, even luckier he didn't kill the guy. Never leave the house naked apparently.
Old June 15, 2006, 05:54 PM   #9
psycho nut

Apparently that guy really doesn't like streakers.

Did the guy hit him? To me it sounded like he startled the guy and he fell down.
Old June 16, 2006, 07:47 AM   #10
Blackwater OPS

CLEARLY unarmed man running away does not justify deadly force. Warning shots are dangerous and foolish as well. That said, it's entirely possible that while chasing the guy through the brush the CCW guy had an AD.

Also, I would have drawn on him as well, and I would have chased him, a guy doing that could be a sexual predator, let him go and his next victim could be a child who gets more than an eyefull.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old June 16, 2006, 09:11 AM   #11
jlwman

That's funny

Bet he's not getting married now.
Old June 17, 2006, 03:03 AM   #12
choover

Quote:
In all actuality though if the victim doesn't want to press charges the only things the DA could really prosecute on would be things like discharging a firearm in city limits,carrying a concealed weapon (which is void if the guy had a permit anyway), brandishing,little things like that.
I think this is incorrect, I think the DAs have a little more power than that. Just like a domestic violence, the victim no longer has to press charges, the state can press charges on their behalf, with or without their consent.
Old June 17, 2006, 05:15 AM   #13
marlboroman84

You may be correct Choover. I'm not positive enough on it to argue that point I know some of the stuff just from personal experiences and experiences of friends and family that there are certain times where if the victim doesn't want to press charges then the DA either can't or won't pursue due to a lack of help from the victim. It's hard to win a trial alot of times even with really good proof and witnesses, but if the victim doesn't want to pursue it, then the DA may not pursue it either. Unless it is a rather large felony.
Old June 17, 2006, 12:47 PM   #14
choover

I hope this is a case they pursue to the fullest, crap like this makes it harder for people to justifiably defend themselves.....though even naked I could possibly be percieved as carrying a "Weapon"
Old June 17, 2006, 12:59 PM   #15
Rainbow Six

Quote:
not even the police can shoot at a fleeing suspect....hope that genius gets a nice jail sentence.
Depends on several factors. Some fleeing suspects can be shot... either by Police or a civilian Edit to add... *NOT* this one, however... In my opinion.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper
Old June 17, 2006, 01:03 PM   #16
Rainbow Six

Quote:
I think this is incorrect, I think the DAs have a little more power than that. Just like a domestic violence, the victim no longer has to press charges, the state can press charges on their behalf, with or without their consent
They can present the case to the Grand Jury and indict, but when the victim either doesn't show, or comes to court and says he does not wish to prosecute the case is over. 13 years of LE experience has taught me NOT to bother with an arrest if the victim on the scene says they don't want to prosecute. The only exception is a DV case where I can articulate that I felt the victim refused to prosecute due to being intimidated by or scared of the offender. In that case I will make the collar and prosecute on the vic's belaf and against his/her will, "in his/her best interest"... but even then when he/she comes to court, or refuses to my case is thrown out. It's sad, but true...

Edit to add: And with the case load of most DA's offices these days with willing victims it's FAR from rare to see stuff like this dropped/not prosecuted. You'd probably be surprised at some of the stuff that never gets prosecuted.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper