The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 12, 2014, 06:58 PM   #26
Kreyzhorse

Coat them with olive oil, add salt pepper to taste and grill on high heat. Cook to medium rare to medium and enjoy. That's the best recipe I've ever found for back straps.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:40 PM   #27
ZeroJunk

You can cut it up and slow cook with chicken broth or cream of mushroom, whatever suits you. Add onions or whatever you like. Serve on cream potatoes or wild rice.

I wouldn't give you 2 cents for any grilled venison. I think it's one of those deals where you killed it so you have to tell yourself how good it is.
Old January 12, 2014, 08:45 PM   #28
TINCANBANDIT

although I have never tried it, I have heard that Coca Cola works miracles as a meat tenderizer. Injecting it into the meat helps breakdown the bonds.

of course the only way to cook meat is over smoke and or flame.....

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/
Old January 12, 2014, 09:22 PM   #29
jersurf101

My favorite back strap recipe is is bacon(proscuitto works too) wrapped and smoked at about 425 degrees on the big green egg or any smoker. A fair amount of fresh cracked pepper on the meat before the bacon. Bring it up to a nice medium rare.

That said I have killed some older bucks that were more tough and gamey. In the crock pot I keep it simple. Beef stock, canned cream of chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire, 1 bay leaf, salt and pepper. The liquid does not need to cover the meat completely but at least 2/3. Cook it all day and use the gravy on your mashed potatoes.
Old January 12, 2014, 09:58 PM   #30
Texascoonhunter

Venison Back Strap

Back Strap is not crock pot meat !!! Front shoulder is crock pot meat, season heavy with your choices of seasons and cover in water. Let cook on high until meat turns loose of shoulder bone. Remove bone and other undesirables from meat. Place meat in bake dish and add BBQ of your choice "Sweet Baby Rays" is mine. Cook 45 minuter at 350 and enjoy on bread or with other foods. AS for the BACK STRAP fry up and make gravy. Serve with hot biscuits and potatoes OR wrap strap with bacon, marinate over night with Worcestershire sauce then cook on 450 degree hot grill till pink in middle. Turn strap 2 times until done. Serve with hot bread and bake potatoes. Just don't put great back strap in crock pot.
Old January 13, 2014, 12:15 PM   #31
buck460XVR

All this talk about using a Crock-Pot for backstrap bein' a mortal sin reminds me of being slapped along side the head at the dinner table by my old man for using catchup on my steak. "My Lord boy! That's steak, you don't ruin it with catchup!" Similar mentality. Was fine for my dad to use A-1, but a mortal sin for me to use catchup. Folks claimin' using a crock-pot is a sin while recommending Marinades for two days, wraps and rubs. Slow cooking is a sin, but smoking is okay. Try to feed 12-15 folks delicious venison tenderloin all at once. Ain't gonna happen at home with the limited resources most of us have other than a slow cooker that is able to cook a whole backstrap at once. While slow cookers do tenderize tough cuts, they also can enhance tender cuts, just like marinades, rubs and smoking. They also are a great way to make great venison very easily, regardless of the cut. I suspect those citing slow cooking a backstrap in a crock-pot is blasphemy, have never had it.
Old January 13, 2014, 01:04 PM   #32
jimbob86

Backstraps in a Crockpot? Gah!

Quote:
In the crock pot I keep it simple. Beef stock, canned cream of chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, Worcestershire, 1 bay leaf, salt and pepper.
That's overcomplicatin' things .....

Home-canned tomato juice, an onion, some carrots, potatoes (red seem to hold up better in the pot) maybe a minced garlic clove, salt, cracked pepper corns (red/white- black pepper can get bitter when heated) ..... if you must add fat, bacon grease works wonders ..... a little goes a long way.

The acid in the tomato juice will tenderize even the toughest cuts when crock-potted 6-8 hours. My favorite crock pot meat is ribs ....

The resulting stock, when combined with a little roux of butter and flour, makes a most excellent gravy.

In fact .... talkin' about it makes me hungry ..... I'm going to go fire mine up now ...
Old January 14, 2014, 07:32 AM   #33
BoogieMan

Quote:
All this talk about using a Crock-Pot for backstrap bein' a mortal sin reminds me of being slapped along side the head at the dinner table by my old man for using catchup on my steak. "My Lord boy! That's steak, you don't ruin it with catchup!" Similar mentality. Was fine for my dad to use A-1, but a mortal sin for me to use catchup.
Wow Buck. Now that I know you put catsup on steak I will have to rethink all the advice you have given me. You probably eat bologna and white bread also.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 14, 2014, 10:09 AM   #34
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by BoogieMan:

Wow Buck. Now that I know you put catsup on steak I will have to rethink all the advice you have given me. You probably eat bologna and white bread also.
......guilty as charged.
Old January 23, 2014, 05:05 AM   #35
HiBC

OK,what I do

Cut chops,brown in cast iron frying pan with a generous amount of garlic butter.

When you lift the chops out of the pan,throw in the noodles or taters to soak up the pan goodies.

You are going to brown the outside of the chop.Degree of done in the middle can be partly regulated by how thick you cut them.
Old January 23, 2014, 10:58 AM   #36
savagecornmuffin

Crock Pot Back Straps...

For those claiming blasphemy for throwing back straps in a crock pot,.. Lighten up!

Shoot an old buck that's been on the run, and those cuts can use any help they can get.

I like to sear the backstaps in a scolding cast iron pan. Roll them, and try not to mash or poke them to much. Then drop them in the crock pot for 4-6 hrs on low covered in Au Jus. I usually cut into medallions of jasmine rice and serve with grilled portabellos. I have made raviolis in beef sauce too. Last time I thin sliced these like roast beef and served them up on baguettes that my daughters made. Topped them with grilled portabellas, Green peppers, vidalias, and Provolone. Au Jus for dipping. It was like a gourmet cheese steak. Super fine.

Yea,.. I just sandwiched venison tenderloins. I'd also pass up a good steak for an excellent hamburger.

Last edited by savagecornmuffin; January 23, 2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old January 23, 2014, 02:49 PM   #37
alex0535

I couldn't imagine slow cooking back strap. If you think that it's tough I think you are probably just cooking it too much. Rare to medium rare is preferable if you trust where your meat came from and it has been frozen for a couple of weeks.

If cooked to medium it is still ok, but no matter how you cook it always be sure to let it rest. If you let it cool off to 120 degrees on the inside when you cut into it the juices won't pour all over the plate.

We seasoned one with creole seasoning, wrapped in pepper bacon and tossed it on the smoker on high, probably around 375. Took it off when temperature reached 140 in the middle. Wraped it in foil. It probably hit at least 150 in the foil. after about 20 minutes open it and take the bacon off, put it back on the smoker until it gets crunchy. After the bacon is done the bacsktap has probably cooled enough to cut into it. The twice smoked bacon is delicious by the way. That turned out around medium.

My favorite way is to country fry little steaks cut out of the backstrap. Buttermilk and garlic soak for a bit. drain buttermilk, toss them in some scambled egg, toss them around in a bag with enough creole seasoning and black pepper to see it in the mix and toss them around in there. Fry in peanut oil, preferably after frying something like chicken. I don't cook mine very long, if you see red coming out of the top you've gone too far. Like 30 seconds in really hot oil a side on a 3/4 inch slice. still a bit rare, But melt in the mouth tender.
Old January 23, 2014, 10:05 PM   #38
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Crock pot recipe isn't so bad. He could have mentioned using a Pressure Cooker on that tasty loin instead._
Old January 24, 2014, 01:52 AM   #39
ChasingWhitetail91

My dad's wife said they would make nice jerky strips
Old January 24, 2014, 05:39 AM   #40
HiBC

Round makes great jerky...backstrap? Gee,butter fried chops are good!
Old January 24, 2014, 11:17 AM   #41
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by alex0535:

I couldn't imagine slow cooking back strap. If you think that it's tough I think you are probably just cooking it too much.

I don't use a crock-pot because my backstraps are tough, I use it cause it's easy and makes for a great roast. I don't consider a good roast a waste of good steak, and I generally prefer a good roast to a good steak. Only way I know to make excellent venison backstrap for a 12-20 folks at one time other than on the grill. I also use a crock-pot for whole Pork loins and chicken breasts for the same reason. 5 minutes in the morning to throw it all in and it's ready to eat when you get home by supper time, with plenty of leftovers for the next day. Funny how a crock-pot is a sin but all the marinades, smoking, wrapping in foil, soaking in buttermilk and drenching it in butter, onions and mushrooms and the time it takes to do this is the cat's backside.
Old January 24, 2014, 11:44 AM   #42
savagecornmuffin

I've roasted backstaps like a pot past, too. Regular style with carrots and potatoes. Also I've split them, filled them with a mixture of Jalapenos and cream cheese and roll them up like a jelly roll. Wrapped the whole loin in bacon and oven roasted on a bed of yellow rice and rotel. The heart burn kills me, but it's soooo good. I've also done the cream cheese and jalapeno thing and grilled them wrapped in bacon like fillets.
Old January 24, 2014, 05:23 PM   #43
scottycoyote

have to agree with the consensus here that backstraps in a crockpot are a big waste of some really nice meat, save it for your tougher cuts. Whether pan fried or on the grill, cook them at high heat until med rare or medium at the most and enjoy. One mistake thats often made is cooking the backstraps right away off of a kill, rather than aging them and eating later.
Old January 24, 2014, 06:58 PM   #44
shortwave

Quote:
One mistake thats often made is cooking the backstraps right away off of a kill, rather than aging them and eating later.
+1 Agree with this wholeheartedly.
Old January 25, 2014, 06:52 PM   #45
reynolds357

Back straps in a slow cooker. Use your favorite prime rib recipe. Similar cuts of meat.