The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 27, 2014, 10:15 AM   #1
davem

Winchester AA black/orange tracker wads

One problem with practice at the trap range is knowing WHY you missed. Has anyone used this ammo and does it work?
Old October 27, 2014, 12:42 PM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

I have tried them on the trap field and found that they work pretty well, unless the wind is really stiff. They work best if you ignore the wad and have a buddy watch them, else you may tend to forget your follow through, look up to soon, etcetera. Us the black wads.
Old October 28, 2014, 10:01 AM   #3
davem

That was what I was wondering. I can go to the range and usually get some guy to stand behind me and watch and I was thinking that may be of far better help. Some guys say they can see the wad anyway- without the tracker black/orange but that seems unusual.
Old October 28, 2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

Watching a regular wad is deceptive. Where they go does not reliably indicate where shot was placed. The Trakker wads are designed so that they pretty well track your shot stream. One way they do this is they retain some shot in the cup.

At least I have found that for trap, you don't have to have someone watching for you, but if you don't you need to guard against looking up too soon to see where the wad went. Skeet may be a different story, since you are shooting at closer targets.

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; October 28, 2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old October 28, 2014, 03:35 PM   #5
davem

Thanks for explaining that- didn't know.
Old October 28, 2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

Actually, I was just out and grabbed a box of black Trakkers at WalMart to try and help me figure out where my shot is going on some of the skeet stations. i don't use them on everything, but when I can't figure out what is wrong they can surprise me by showing that my shot is going somewhere other than where I think it went.
Old October 29, 2014, 10:30 AM   #7
davem

Well, I'll probably never get around to it but the ideal set up would be to show up at the range on a day when you are the only guy there and have the trap set so the target flies the same every time and use the tracker wads until you get that particular shot down correctly, then move on to a target at a different angle. Actually, if you could get a group of folks to want to do the same, maybe have five people, one at each station, with a coach or spotter behind each shooter, and have the clay fly the same five times, then on to the next station.
Old November 1, 2014, 08:29 PM   #8
wizrd

If you don't want to spend the big bucks for the trackers -- just go to the trap field during a stedy downpour. Your shot column will make a tunnel through the rain -- show you where your missing and why. And it looks really neat!