The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2001, 09:55 AM   #1
RHarris

I'm fairly new to reloading. I've got lots of used brass saved up consisting of many different brands. I was wondering if there would be much of a gain in sorting all of this brass out by differnt manufacturers, or if it's better just to leave it all mixed up. It seems there would be an advantage since there would be less variables. Does it matter much?
Old March 18, 2001, 10:40 AM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Fer starters, you better at least sort for caliber.

Answer = depends. For my handguns, other than for some specialty type loadings, I don't bother. Many cast bullet loads for rifle = same thing. For specific rifle hunting rounds or anything where I want to wring out the most accuracy, I do.

Military rifle brass en especial should be separated out as wall thickness is a bit more = less case capacity = higher pressures with same powder weight.

Old March 19, 2001, 03:40 AM   #3
S&W Man

It takes a little extra time, but I sort all of my brass by the headstamp. Most of the commercial brands are all pretty consistent, but there is one in particular thet is real soft and one real hard. Military brass needs to be sorted so you can work your loads differently as the mil brass is thicker and heavier and you can get overpressure situstions if you are loading the same as commercial cases and load heavy rounds. If you repack your reloads there is also the estics of having the same heads all together.
The biggest thing is - how much time and work do you want to put into it? any extra step takes more time.

The second admendment GUARANTEES the other nine and the constitution!
Old March 19, 2001, 10:26 AM   #4
tonyz

I Tried shorting brass in 9mm and found that there was no
accuracy gain or functionality difference for my efforts.
I do sort by nickle or brass, this mostly so I can recognize differant loads.I also sort newer brass from brass that has 30+ reloads.

Best Tony
Old March 19, 2001, 02:25 PM   #5
Cheapo

For practice (generic or lead bullet) handgun rounds, I load 'em all and sort by headstamp later.

For my "good stuff" using JHPs, I use only a specific brand of brass. Gotta sort before loading for that.

For my accuracy requirements, the effort is worth it. At 10 yards or less, the effort is not worth it.