The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which auto should I get?
Benelli Super Black Eagle II 13 19.70%
Benelli M2 15 22.73%
Remington Versamax 3 4.55%
Remington 1187 10 15.15%
Winchester Super X3 11 16.67%
Other: Please Explain 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 20, 2010, 03:54 PM   #26
oneounceload

Zippy, as someone who lived in the Reno area, I can tell you we had TONS of those damn geese everywhere, especially around our office building, crapping everywhere. There are a lot of them when there is water - and in between Carson City and Reno there are some lakes that usually hold enough water for them. We also walked up a lot of ducks in certain rivers and creek areas, but it was not the same as Maryland or similar flyways.

When lead was legal, I used a 20 gauge with 3" #2..worked excellent
Old November 20, 2010, 05:58 PM   #27
roy reali

Nevada

Quote:
Zippy, as someone who lived in the Reno area, I can tell you we had TONS of those damn geese everywhere,
Come on! There ain't geese or any game for that matter in Nevada. Why spread rumors? I don't want people to visit the Silver State and be disappointed.
Old November 20, 2010, 08:34 PM   #28
oneounceload

I guess you can't see them Roy - they were all over my company's HQ on the south side of town as well as as Washoe Lake, little Washoe Lake, and the Carson River

so stop your trolling
Old November 21, 2010, 12:52 AM   #29
roy reali

re:oneounceload

Quote:
I guess you can't see them Roy - they were all over my company's HQ on the south side of town as well as as Washoe Lake, little Washoe Lake, and the Carson River
They were figments of your imagination.
Old November 22, 2010, 04:52 PM   #30
Chinny33

Browning Maxus

Browning Maxus 3.5" Waterfowl.

unbelievably lightweight and feel and swing and oh my gosh!
Proverbs 27:12
Old November 22, 2010, 09:35 PM   #31
Deerhunter

MontyCop05

I gave you my vote and commented twice before. I am also a Remington guy. I have a 870 Express Mag and my rifle is a 700 in 270. When I started looking at semi autos my first look was at the 11-87. The guy at Bass Pro wanted to sell me a SBE II. I held a bunch and the 11-87 is noticably heavier than the others. That is when I started looking at the Browning Maxus. Light weight and easy to carry around in the field. I have had it out dove hunting twice.
Old November 23, 2010, 03:16 PM   #32
MontyCop05

Quote:
You have left out some of the very best gas operated autoloading shotguns on the market:

The new Browning Maxus
Quote:
I voted other.....here is why......

I just bought a Browning Maxus a few months ago. It is the 28 inch barrel 2 3/4-3.5 inch chamber model. It handles the light target load on the skeet/trap field with no issues. I shot 2 3/4 inch high velocity 7.5s out of it with no issue. It doesn't kick near as much at my 870 Express Mag kicks with the 3 inch shells. I went with it because I liked the feel. It shouldered good on me. I also like the weight. I wanted to use it for upland hunting, dove hunting and for ducks and geese. I didn't want to be carrying a heavy gun around. I love mine, best choice I could have made and the price was right. $1300
Quote:
I shoot the 3.5s out of my Browning Maxus. They aren't nearly as bad as the 3s I shot out of my 870 Express Mag. My Maxus is in the Mossy Oak Duck Blind camo. It has shims for adjustments also. It came with 3 chokes and a wrench. Cleaning is easy. I have been out twice to the skeet range with it. Both times I put 125 rounds through it with out an issue. It only took me about 30 minutes to break it down, clean it and put it back together. That is fast since I do a real good cleaning not just a wipe down.
Quote:
Browning Maxus 3.5" Waterfowl.

unbelievably lightweight and feel and swing and oh my gosh!
Quote:
That is when I started looking at the Browning Maxus. Light weight and easy to carry around in the field. I have had it out dove hunting twice.
The shotgunners have spoken!

This is why I love this forum. You guys opened my eyes. I didn't even consider the Maxus initially, (1) because I was unaware of it, and (2) I haven't seen any in the stores I had been to looking around. Well, I stopped by one of my local gun shops on the way back from pheasant hunting today, and what do I see but 3 different Maxus models on the rack, along with several SBE II models, two M2's, The beretta's that you guys have mentioned, an SX3, and some others. Well I played with them all. As for the Maxus, they had the Carbon, the stalker, and a stalker duck edition. Needless to say the duck camo is out, but the carbon the stalker were beauties! I love the way the Maxus feels and swings for me. I think I've fallen in love. I'm about 85% leaning towards the Maxus stalker. I'd also like to get my hands on the Maxus hunter with the wood stock before I make the final call. Also, I wanna see if I can handle a 3.5 SX3. Haven found one yet. I will be making my purchase in the next week most likely.

Last edited by MontyCop05; November 23, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old November 23, 2010, 03:30 PM   #33
publius

My vote is for any Beretta. Very reliable and soft recoil. Second place is any Benelli except the Vinci. Might be a good weapon but it feels weird to me and is ugly as hell.
Old November 23, 2010, 04:03 PM   #34
oneounceload

The only thing I will add to this thread now is to try it before you buy it if at all possible..........beg, borrow, or steal....(j/k), but seriously - shouldering in the store is one thing, firing it at targets with your intended ammo is quite another..........

Good Luck!
Old November 24, 2010, 02:31 AM   #35
LanceOregon

Quote:
My initial point was, shooting a 10-ga gun will have less perceived recoil than a similar equivalently loaded 12-ga gun with 3-1/2s. This is due to 10-ga guns typically being heavier and operating at lower pressures. In past threads, members mentioned they'd shot 3-1/2" loads in their 12-ga guns and they weren't going to repeat the experience -- preferring a 10ga for the heavy loads. To those members, getting a 3-1/2" chambered 12-ga had been a waste. I was trying to save the OP from that experience. That's why I asked if he'd shot 3-1/2" 12-ga loads; however, it seems I irked at least one 3-1/2" 12-ga fan.
Zippy:

So you readily admit that you have no actual experience at all with these issues. Have never yourself ever owned and hunted with either a semiauto 10 gauge, or any 3.5 inch 12 gauge. In other words, you have absolutely NO FIRSTHAND KNOWLEDGE of any kind in these matters.

And the simple fact is that these other posts that you say that you are referrring to here in this forum DO NOT EXIST! There are no such statements made here by others making these arguments to prefer the 10 gauge over the 3.5 inch 12 gauge.

The arguments that you are making here are simply untrue, on a number of levels.

Tell us, do you even have any clue at all how heavy and unwieldy a Browning Gold 10 or a Remington SP-10 is? Any idea at all to what their weight is?

Old November 24, 2010, 09:14 AM   #36
Deerhunter

I have hunted with 2 guys that had Remington 10 gauges. They are heavy, real heavy. I shot them and they aren't bad to shoot but I wouldn't want to carry one around.

Like I said in other posts here....I went with the Browning Maxus. It fit me well and the weight is great. It was noticeably lighter than the Remington 11-87 which was another semi-auto I was looking at. I kept hearing different things about some of the semi-autos chambered for 3.5s saying they had issues with the light target loads. I knew I wanted a semi-auto for all around bird hunting and for shooting at the range. The Maxus has that covered. I have not had a single issue with it. The recoil isn't punishing no matter what you shoot out of it and it will handle all loads. 3.5s kick a lot more than the 2 3/4 target loads but at the same time, you aren't shooting 125 - 3.5s in an afternoon.
Old November 24, 2010, 11:17 AM   #37
zippy13

LanceOregon,
This vendetta of yours is getting ridiculous and you're embarrassing yourself. With respect to your:
Quote:
And the simple fact is that these other posts that you say that you are referrring to here in this forum DO NOT EXIST! There are no such statements made here by others making these arguments to prefer the 10 gauge over the 3.5 inch 12 gauge.
You should shouldn't be making bold statements that are so easily repudiated. From last month, in srkavanagh6621's Advice on a new shotgun, post #8, there is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaham
I love the 10 ga guns so if you are thinking about getting a 3 1/2" 12 ga get a 10 ga the recoil is not as bad as any of my 3 1/2" inch 12's. A 3 inch 12 ga will do the job though and for pheasant may be the better choice. Just go and shoot some of these guns and handle them the best gun for you is the one that fits you the best.
It's clear that member jbaham is expressing his preference for a 10-ga over a 3 1/2-inch 12-ga -- seems you owe Scorch and me apologies.
Old November 24, 2010, 12:18 PM   #38
BigJimP

Come on Lance, give it a rest man ....

your personal attacks on people are boring and getting tedious ....and predictable ....
Old November 24, 2010, 05:22 PM   #39
hoffbill

Benelli

I shoot a Benelli Super Sport w 30" barrel for trap, skeet, clays, quail,pheasants, ducks, geese, and it would work fine on varmints up to and including 2 legged ones. Just screw in desired choke (no tool required)
Well balanced, light, east to custom fit as shims and washers come with, butt pads and cheek pads available, no recoil issues, cycles any shell you cram in it without blinking no adjustment required, cleaning consists of easy simple takedown and wipedown, no carbon buildup as gas guns get what's not to like?
It's also available with 28" barrel if you want it shorter. If you perfer wood the Benelli Super II is same action in wood but you give up the Comfort Tech stock so maybe a little more felt recoil. I cannot tell the recoil difference when comparing to gas guns. In any case it will be less than the non-autos you have been shooting.

Last edited by hoffbill; November 24, 2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: add
Old November 25, 2010, 07:04 AM   #40
LanceOregon

Quote:
Come on Lance, give it a rest man ....
Jim:

Zippy doesn't know ANYTHING at all on this subject, PERIOD.

He has never owned or shot any of these types of guns that he is talking about.

That is an extremely valid thing to point out.

Last edited by LanceOregon; November 25, 2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old November 25, 2010, 07:16 AM   #41
LanceOregon

Quote:
It's clear that member jbaham is expressing his preference for a 10-ga over a 3 1/2-inch 12-ga
Zippy:

So one single person on this website recommending the 10 gauge over the 3.5 inch 12 gauge makes it the better gun for you to always recommend to folks? That is just ridiculous.

In all of these discussions on this subject of 10 gauge vs 3.5 inch 12 gauge ( including this thread that has the quote from jbaham you refer to ), people looking for new shotguns have had the same opinion that MontyCop has stated right here about the 10 gauge. The 10 gauge autos are a very specialized guns. People generally want a more versatile shotgun. They are also extremely heavy, and thus far more difficult to swing. And I will ask you again, do you not know just how heavy the Browning Gold 10 and Remington SP-10 are? Have you ever even handled any of the 10 gauges on the market?

For you to be continually recommending the 10 gauge to folks is absolutely ludicrous. Especially in light of the fact that you have no personal experience or knowledge of the subject as I do.

You have no qualifications whatsoever to be able to make such a recommendation.

Old November 25, 2010, 08:20 AM   #42
LanceOregon

Quote:
I love the way the Maxus feels and swings for me. I think I've fallen in love. I'm about 85% leaning towards the Maxus stalker.
MontyCop:

The Browning Maxus will definitely offer you the latest new features that Browning has developed. It clearly beats out the Winchester SX3 when it comes to new innovation and improvements.

So if you can afford the price tag of the Maxus, I think that it is the best gun that you are still considering.

Be sure to checkout this video on the shotgun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEXjY...layer_embedded

Old November 25, 2010, 01:52 PM   #43
zippy13

Lance,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceOregon
Zippy:
So one single person on this website recommending the 10 gauge over the 3.5 inch 12 gauge makes it the better gun for you to always recommend to folks?
Don't you remember, you clearly stated that there are none,
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceOregon
so, I need cite only one to refute you. Your "simple fact" is shown to be false. Why should I spend time citing more than one example, making you look more the fool, when you're doing such a splendid job by yourself?

Oh, since you say I'm "always" recommending a 10-ga gun over a 3 1/2-inch 12 ga, perhaps you can cite one instance where I actually recommended the purchase a specific 10-ga gun. I may have suggested they make recoil comparisons, or have a look at some 10-ga guns before making their final selection. That's a far cry from "always" recommending a 10-ga gun.

I did notice that you recommend the Browning Maxus; but, only after the OP announced that he'd already checked some out at his LGS and expressed a favorable first impression. Why didn't you recommend the Maxus from the get-go? Instead you chose to put words in my mouth so you could divert the thread to serve your personal witch hunt.
Old November 27, 2010, 08:53 PM   #44
LanceOregon

Quote:
I did notice that you recommend the Browning Maxus; but, only after the OP announced that he'd already checked some out at his LGS and expressed a favorable first impression. Why didn't you recommend the Maxus from the get-go?
Zippy:

You are really something. My very first post here in this thread asked the OP why he did not consider the Browning Maxus. Anyone can clearly see that.

The bottom line here is this:

You are totally unqualified to make any recommendations whatsoever on this topic. You have no actual experience or personal knowledge of any kind on the subject of the benefits and advantages of 3.5 inch 12 gauge vs 10 gauge autoloaders.

In other words, you don't have a clue as to what you are talking about on the subject.

Old November 28, 2010, 03:53 AM   #45
zippy13

Lance,
Quote:
Zippy:
You are really something. My very first post here in this thread asked the OP why he did not consider the Browning Maxus. Anyone can clearly see that.
Sorry, it was intentional, I wanted to make a point: You're quick to report that you've obviously been misrepresented; yet, you seem surprised that I respond when you continue to make misrepresentations about my postings.

You seem to object to the physics behind my simple observation: "a 10-ga gun will have less perceived recoil than a similar equivalently loaded 12-ga gun with 3-1/2s. This is due to 10-ga guns typically being heavier and operating at lower pressures," and have blown the entire matter out of proportion. Rather than provide an opposite explanation:
  • You've boldly stated that no references I've made exist. And I gave a citation.
  • You've claimed that I'm "continually recommending 10-ga guns to folks." I've asked you to provide an example, but you haven't.
  • You repeatedly claim that I don't have the necessary experience to make recommendations. First, as noted above, I haven't made any recommendations. And, second, who appointed you the arbiter determining who can or can't express an opinion, or make an observation at this forum?
At least we can be satisfied that, despite our differences, the forum has served is purpose and steered the OP, MonteCop05, to his objective.
Old November 28, 2010, 10:22 AM   #46
jmortimer

Browning Maxus or SX3 - not that much difference between the two - same manufacturer (FN) and mostly same gun - one main difference is that the Maxus has only one gas piston and the SX3 comes with two for light and heavy loads. Either way you get lighter recoil and the fastest shooting shotgun available and both are as reliable as any shotgun can get.
Old November 28, 2010, 11:17 AM   #47
srkavanagh6621

Its the SX2 that comes with the two gas pistons the SX3 only has one. you dont have to switch it for heavy or light loads.
Old November 29, 2010, 02:17 AM   #48
LanceOregon

Quote:
And, second, who appointed you the arbiter determining who can or can't express an opinion, or make an observation at this forum?
I never said or implied in any way at all that you can't express your opinions.

I've only had factual disagreements regarding the accuracy and validity of your statements, and the fact that you have no experience at all in shooting either type of shotgun.

Old November 29, 2010, 09:54 AM   #49
zippy13

Lance,
Since you can't rebut the message, you rebuke the messenger.
Old December 18, 2010, 03:11 PM   #50
5RWill

I also vote maxus, haven't had a problem with mine yet, has performed just like a pump in every situation and performed over my friends benelli Nova in more than likely the coldest hunt i've ever been on.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390863