The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old October 26, 2010, 09:59 PM   #26
chewie146

Who the heck would stop her?
Old October 27, 2010, 02:11 AM   #27
the blur

Where's the argument that a .44 can't kill a monster gator ?

They say gators over 10 feet long have to be destroyed. there is no habitat for such a big gator.
Old October 27, 2010, 03:53 AM   #28
beex215

something like that should have been kept alive in the wild. its like fishing and putting it back afterwards
Old October 27, 2010, 05:20 AM   #29
LanceOregon

Quote:
something like that should have been kept alive in the wild. its like fishing and putting it back afterwards
To be honest, I've never been able to understand catch and release fishing.

What is the point of fishing, if you don't get to enjoy a nice fish dinner afterwards??

Seems to me that it is just a bunch of pointless torture of an animal, just to satisfy an ego. It is disrespectful to the animal, in my opinion.

I would never support the catch and release of this particular alligator. Not unless Maryellen was given the opportunity to release the gator inside the the US Congress while it was in session.

There would be plenty of "fatcats" for him to feed on there!
Old October 27, 2010, 05:38 AM   #30
beex215

something like it. ive never even went fishing. its just that that animal was magnificent.
Old October 27, 2010, 06:27 AM   #31
DiscoRacing

I dont catch and release myself...but... I can see it...but... not with something this big that could eat me and NOT catch and RELEASE me once eaten.
Old October 27, 2010, 09:58 AM   #32
comn-cents

What does fishing for alligators have to do with TFL????
Old October 27, 2010, 10:00 AM   #33
MLeake

linkage to TFL...

... could be the use of the Model 29 for dispatching the gator.
Old October 27, 2010, 10:13 AM   #34
grubbylabs

I don't get the catch and release either, I like to eat what I catch especially if I catch something that would make me get a new freezer just to house it till I could devour it.

Notice how on the show swamp people they usually kill the gator with a .22? wonder if she could have done it with a .22. I am not sure I would opt for a .22 but it did kinda make me think.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old October 27, 2010, 10:19 AM   #35
comn-cents

MLeake [I]linkage to TFL...

... "could be the use of the Model 29 for dispatching the gator". [/

I have a friend who got in a car accident and he likes guns and to hunt. Can I post the car accident on here?

BIG stretch!
Old October 27, 2010, 10:22 AM   #36
MLeake

comn-cents...

... if your friend plays with his gun, and gets in an accident, then by all means feel free.

If your friend is arguing about gun legislation, stops paying attention to his driving, and has an accident, then you might try General Discussion or L&CR.

If your friend has a NY legislator try to take away his gun rights because he was found at fault for a vehicular accident, then you should definitely take it to L&CR.

If your friend hits a deer that is running after having been wounded by a hunter, then you might put it in The Hunt.

If you wish to be snarky, I can tell you any number of other places you might put it.
Old October 27, 2010, 10:34 AM   #37
comn-cents

MLeake "If you wish to be snarky, I can tell you any number of other places you might put it".

What are you twelve?
Old October 27, 2010, 10:49 AM   #38
longranger

I hope that gator is full of animal rights activist' puppies and poodles and pets.
My daughter and son-inlaw used to fish the lake it was killed on,they don't go there anymore ! Son in-law says he "ain't fishing where he might be the bait".
Fine use of a S&W Mdl. 29.That's a good size hole in that's gators head,perfect shot placement.
Old October 27, 2010, 11:44 AM   #39
cgbills

comn-cents

Directly from the description of the "Hunt" section

"If it flies, lopes or charges, you'll find it here. Feel free to post your hunting related topics and questions."

It does not say a post must be related to firearms. This thread is very relevant and meets the criteria for the section.

Go troll somewhere else
Old October 27, 2010, 11:56 AM   #40
comn-cents

cgbills "Go troll somewhere else"

WOW! be an adult!
Old October 27, 2010, 12:13 PM   #41
cgbills

comn-cents

Old October 27, 2010, 12:13 PM   #42
LanceOregon

comn-cents:

You are definitely trying to hijack this thread at this point and trying to take it off topic. That is extremely rude behavior on your part. The only person behaving in an immature and trollish manner in this thread is yourself.

Some of the admins here have even participated in this thread. And they have obviously seen no problem with this topic.

Your car accident analogy could not be more bogus and off-base. That is nothing even remotely associated with hunting. In this case, this woman had to have a hunting license and get a tag in order to hunt this animal. There is no question whatsoever that she was involved in both hunting, and that a firearm was used to finally dispatch the animal.

You are being extremely unreasonable in your comments. It seems like you are deliberately trying to sabotage this thread and force the admins here to close it, by stirring things up so much by engaging in personal attacks on others here.

You certainly are not living up to your ID. You are displaying no common sense whatsoever.

Old October 27, 2010, 12:33 PM   #43
comn-cents

LanceOregon "You are definitely trying to hijack this thread at this point and trying to take it off topic. That is extremely rude behavior on your part. The only person behaving in an immature and trollish manner in this thread is yourself".

I'm definitely not trying to hijack this thread. I haven't been disrespectfu,l all I've done is asked MY question. I'm one person here who doesn't make the connection with someone fishing for alligators and then she was tired and shot it. So some admins posted here, so what. Some haven't.
You are being disrespectful by accusing me of being disrespectful.
One person tells me to stop trolling, another says he can show me where to put it. I asked a question about a thread that I was disagreeing with. That's it. Who is disrespectful?
Old October 27, 2010, 12:50 PM   #44
cgbills

She was not alligator fishing, but rather alligator HUNTING. There are parallels between fishing and alligator hunting, such as using line and hooking them, but this sport is in fact hunting. I think that is where your disconnect is. This is alligator hunting in the hunting section. Not alligator fishing in the hunting section.

Also it is not that she got tired and shot it, that is how you alligator hunt
Old October 27, 2010, 01:01 PM   #45
LanceOregon

Quote:
all I've done is asked MY question.
You are being disingenuous here, as you have done far more than that. You went on to make a totally inappropriate and irrelevant analogy. Your car accident analogy is nothing even remotely like alligator hunting. And then you have engaged in personal attacks against two people in this thread.

Your question itself is totally bogus and invalid.

Just go to the official South Caroline web page for Alligator hunting:

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/alligator/drawhunt.html

It is NOT referred to as Alligator fishing, as you so falsely claim. To hunt alligators in South Carolina, you have to have a hunting license, NOT a fishing license. You also have to draw a tag to take an alligator too.

So your whole question is based on a completely false premise.

There is no way that such a question can be answered, for it is not a legitimate question.

You are just trying to stir things up. That is obvious.

Old October 27, 2010, 01:20 PM   #46
grubbylabs

Just looking for the right track

Notice how on the show swamp people they usually kill the gator with a .22? wonder if she could have done it with a .22. I am not sure I would opt for a .22 but it did kinda make me think.

Any one here brave enough to shoot a gator like that with a 22?

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old October 27, 2010, 01:31 PM   #47
LateNightFlight

Pssssssh. I see gators that big all the time. (in my nightmares)

Too bad all the creatures that were eaten by this thing don't have a say on gator hunting. I bet they're for it.
Old October 27, 2010, 01:55 PM   #48
comn-cents

LanceOregon "You are being disingenuous here"

No, you are jumping to conclusions all over the place, telling me my reasons for my post. I didn't attack anyone here, maybe you should look in the mirror? So you disagree with me analogy, that's okay, so move on.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:08 PM   #49
Magnum Wheel Man

was a good thread...

butt... 3... 2... 1.... bye bye
Old October 27, 2010, 02:08 PM   #50
cgbills

It is not a matter of him disagreeing with your analogy; it is that it is logically invalid and a poor analogy. There is a measure for rightness and wrongness of analogies. Using this, your analogy was wrong and invalid. You can’t go off spouting random analogies that contain no analog to the topic at hand, say it is ok and anyone who thinks it is not ok is just disagreeing with you. Your analogy was not relevant or valid. Just admit it was wrong and that you were wrong about whether or not this post should be in this section.

On a different note. This and that show Swamp People has got me interesed in Gator hunting. I have some family in FL and I have thought about going down there to do this. I am not sure if you need to get drawn for a tag in FL though. I think it would be fun and a big rush. I would be tempted to make an alligator suite, boots, hat and holster if i got that monster

Last edited by cgbills; October 27, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Closed Thread