The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 31, 2009, 02:09 AM   #1
raimius

Question on hangun ammunition laws

If I read correctly on the ATF site, it is illegal for businesses to sell handgun ammunition to persons under 21. Is this a total prohibition on handgun ammunition for those under 21, or does this apply only to businesses?

In other words, is it legal for a 19 year old person to possess ammunition for handguns (at the federal level)?

(A source document would be greatly appreciated)
Old February 1, 2009, 01:04 PM   #2
NavyLT

18 USC 922.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/1...2----000-.html

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver—
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

BATFE's interpretation:
(F7) May a licensee sell interchangeable
ammunition such as
.22 cal. rimfire to a person less
than 21 years old?
Yes, provided the buyer is 18 years
of age or older, and the dealer is satisfied
that it is for use in a rifle. If the
ammunition is intended for use in a
handgun, the 21 year old minimum
age requirement is applicable.
Old February 1, 2009, 01:07 PM   #3
NavyLT

Unless state law prohibits it, you are perfectly legal to buy handgun ammuntion from a private party and to possess the ammunition.

Also, as long as no false oral or written statement is made to the dealer regarding the ammunition purchase, you can give a 21+ person money for them to buy the ammunition for you from a dealer. Usually the transaction goes something like: dealer, "Can I see ID to verify you are over 21?" buyer, "Sure, here is my ID" dealer, "Here's your ammo".

Straw purchase occurs when an actual false statement is made to the dealer such as "Are you the actual purchaser?" (on the 4473 for purchasing firearms). Answer yes to that question, when you are, in fact, buying on behalf of another person and the straw purchase occurs.
Old February 3, 2009, 04:56 PM   #4
raimius

Thank you.

The purchase for someone under 21 issue was the problem I encountered with an angry clerk. Thanks for the citation. That's what I needed.
Old February 3, 2009, 06:16 PM   #5
NavyLT

Quote:
The purchase for someone under 21 issue was the problem I encountered with an angry clerk. Thanks for the citation. That's what I needed.
Sounds like you were buying for someone under 21? Just be careful not to violate this part of 18 USC 922:

(a) It shall be unlawful—
(6) for any person in connection with the acquisition or attempted acquisition of any firearm or ammunition from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, knowingly to make any false or fictitious oral or written statement or to furnish or exhibit any false, fictitious, or misrepresented identification, intended or likely to deceive such importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector with respect to any fact material to the lawfulness of the sale or other disposition of such firearm or ammunition under the provisions of this chapter;

If your dealer was asking about it, other than are you over 21, then you need to find a dealer that is don't ask, don't tell.