The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 13, 2008, 01:44 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Lyman All-American or Tru-Line jr., What ones better?

What is the better of the 2 presses, The Lyman All-American or the Tru-Line Jr. It looks like their both strong and built well. Is there anything bad about either besides the J type shell holders?(they both have 7/8 turrets also)
Old July 13, 2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Bboomer

I've never seen the True-Line. I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb by saying. The Lyman AA would be the better of the two - hands down.

You can order a J shell holder adapter that converts them to use standard shell holders for about 12 bucks. I think its called a "J" to "X" shellholder adapter.

Check with Lyman, Midway and Midsouth Shooters

The AA Press is a beast of a Press with real slick/smooth action !

I've always looked/watched for one.
Old July 15, 2008, 11:43 AM   #3
Stumpy16076

The Tru-Line Jr. uses the same dies as the Lyman 310 "Tong Tool" hand reloading press. They are smaller in diameter than standard dies, so you cannot use standard 7/8 X 14 dies in a Tru-Line Jr., BUT you can use the smaller dies in a standard press with a nifty little adapter offerred by Lyman. The 310/Jr. dies are made to neck-size only, so the Jr. does not have the strength/leverage of the All-American. I have not seen a Tru-Line Jr. made for standard dies, so please double-check. The All-American uses standard dies and is a great choice in an older turret press. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Stumpy16076; July 15, 2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Left Something Out!
Old July 15, 2008, 12:26 PM   #4
30Cal

I've got a Lyman AA. Lyman carries the parts needed to convert it to normal shellholders. It's a great press for pistol rounds. I tried it for FL sizing of .308/30-06; it's woefully inaquate in the leverage department.
Old July 15, 2008, 07:57 PM   #5
mikenbarb

Regular dies

Stumpy, They make a 7/8-14 plate to replace the small thread one. Their expensive new but you can find them used for around 15-20 bucks. Its a great way to update an old press.
30cal., I plan on using one or the other for pistol but havnt figured what one yet(proably the AA). I also have a Lee Turret press that im considering(proably gonna sell it). I started with a new RCBS press for loading and now I found that some old stuff is alot better and stronger(sorry RCBS guys) and going to keep my presses pre 70's. I got some great presses that you cant find anymore and stronger than any new one made. Do you know the p/n for the holders to convert the J type? Thanks.
Old July 16, 2008, 11:42 AM   #6
30Cal

Quote:
Do you know the p/n for the holders to convert the J type?
No, but the lady at Lyman that answered the phone did (she also pointed out that the primer seater needed to change as well).
Old July 16, 2008, 01:03 PM   #7
mikenbarb

Ok, Thanks. I hand prime so dont need to change that.
Old July 16, 2008, 05:01 PM   #8
Paul B.

I have a Tru-Line Jr. that I use with the Lyman 310 dies. Even though the dies just neck size, that press has very little leverage. I actually find it easier to use the tong tool itself rather than the press
Lyman really messed up in my book when the changed the neck sizing die called the muzzle resizer to also decap the brass at the same time. That way they saved money by making the die sets using four dies rather than five. They also cheapened the nutcracker tool by going to cast aluminum rather than the steel version. The threads are very fine and it's easy to strip them out on the aluminum handles.
Paul B.
Old July 16, 2008, 11:22 PM   #9
mikenbarb

Paul, You can still get either one and the 5 die sets. Its called the 310 Shop. They have all the 310 stuff you need but $$$$.
Old July 23, 2008, 12:55 AM   #10
gunney 67

I have a tru-line jr. that I use to load 38 spl and 30 carb on and I love it. It's a poor mans progressive.At least it was 40 years ago. All my reloading equipment is that old, and it still works great. When I don't need it anymore, I'll probably offer it to you guys. It deserves to live on with those who enjoy the hobby
Old July 23, 2008, 10:33 PM   #11
Ruger4570

I have fond memories of my old Tru Line Jr. I think I got it around 1960 and it was used before I got it. I sure loaded a lot of 357's and 243's with it. It certainly isn't like we have available today, but for its time, it was good, just not a lot of power. My Dad bought me a new CH press for Christmas around then so I gave it to my best friend that couldn't afford to buy a set. I know he still has it too.
Old July 24, 2008, 10:39 AM   #12
TEDDY

tru-line jr

I have 5 dedicated to 32acp/long and 45 colt.with one for loading cast in 30/06 aand 308. I would get a LEE cast turret,It will do every thing that any other will do and less expensive.
Old July 24, 2008, 07:04 PM   #13
mikenbarb

Made my choice.

I made my mind up after using both and sticking with the All American(No brainer). Its alot stronger for rifle cases but not as compact as the tru-line jr. The Tru-Line is up for sale.