The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 28, 2009, 09:53 PM   #51
Jason_G

Quote:
Jason comments.....
Quote:
but no one in their right mind is going to be trying to shoot a deer from 1km
Don't know if these folks are in their right mind, but they tout their 1K yard plus shots at game animals on http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/ and http://www.precisionlongrangehunter....ubbthreads.php.

It's common practice for two folks to be at a vantage point both checking for game, then when it's seen, they get ready. The shooter takes his scoped 20 pound bench gun chambered for a souped up .338 magnum, places it on bags atop a portable bench while the other guy sets up the spotting scope. One shot's fired at a rock near the game then the spotter gives corrections to the shooter until the rock's hit a time or two. Then the sights are put on the animal and the shot's fired.

Much celebration goes on at the kill site as well as the web site. Back patting and other kudos abound as these guys are so proud of their rifle building, ammo making and shooting skills.
I don't intend to disrespect any of the folks over at this website you are talking about, but I tend to agree with this statement:
Quote:
Most hunters (not range shooters) don't take shots longer than that out of respect for the game you're shooting at.
It might be possible to make harvests at 1km, but it is not ethical IMHO. There are way too many variables at those distances for me to personally consider it an ethical practice. If an animal moves, even as the trigger is pulled, the flight time of the bullet alone, even with a fast traveling round, is long enough to allow the animal to turn a good shot into a gut shot with a single step.

I understand that there are always "what ifs" with hunting, but an ethical hunter minimizes the "what ifs" whenever and wherever possible. Shooting at 1000 + meters does not fit this description at all.

I heard something one time that sums it up pretty well for me, "A target shooter gets as far away from his target as possible and tries to hit it. A hunter gets as close as possible and tries not to miss."

Anyway, the getting close part is what makes hunting fun in the first place.

Again, JMHO.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old September 29, 2009, 12:14 PM   #52
boneman_66

For what it's worth, I'm a deer hunter and an M1A Scout owner and I'm not real anxious to take my M1A deer hunting for the following reasons:

1) It's big and heavy
2) It's not nearly as easily scoped as guns more suited for the task (not all M1A receivers are the same and/or mil spec and many people including me have had challenges using after market bases that bolt onto the side of the receiver)
3) It's friggin LOUD. I made the mistake of taking my ear protection off for ONE shot to see just how loud and I will never make that mistake again. Unless you intend on wearing protection (which most hunters probably don't) you will absolutely cringe at the thought of firing an M1A while hunting

Given that my only other 'suitable' rifle is a Marlin 336 in 30-30 I thought the M1A in .308 might also double as a more powerful deer rifle, but for the hunting we do here in VT, I can't imagine any scenario that I'd take my M1A over my Marlin 30-30 (unless of course it's post-SHTF and I have to shoot 19 zombies first before using my last shot on a deer lol).

Boneman
Old September 29, 2009, 12:17 PM   #53
dondavis3

+1 boneman_66
Old September 29, 2009, 12:49 PM   #54
csmsss

I wouldn't hesitate to take an M-1A hunting if that's what I had in the closet and I was hunting at reasonable ranges. The only caveat is whether you as the hunter are comfortable and skilled with iron sights - but if you are, the rifle will certainly do its part at any reasonable hunting range.
Old November 25, 2012, 01:02 AM   #55
sthomper

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=41

the above link says a comp stock standard m1 weighs 8.8 lbs true???

this link http://www.remington.com/products/fi...l-700-vtr.aspx

says a rem 700 vtr 308 weighs 7.5 lbs....true??

i guess both are with out optics but that doesnt seem like much weigh difference to me.

so if you want a rifle in 308 that can fire quick repeted shots and kill deer as well the comp stock m1 seems a good choice....one rifle handling both roles well, iow.

i have been within feet of deer and several yards of elk...i doubt 1000 yards is necessary
Old November 25, 2012, 09:51 AM   #56
kraigwy

This is really an old post.

Wonder how the OP did with his hunting with the M1A.

Mine is certainly accurate enough but its too dern heavy.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 25, 2012, 02:01 PM   #57
jhenry

It is a zombie thread.