The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 2, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Recon7

tis' the season

I have been to the range twice, and have seen a lot of idiots at the range with their new guns they got for Christmas. at the one minute warning I saw a child loading his 22 rifle, when ceasefire was called, he just backed up and left his loaded rifle pointed downrange, I had to tell his father to unload the weapon so it would be safe to walk downrange. these fine folks left all their targets on the range, brass on the ground, and 2 unfired 22 rounds on the table when they left. the shooters on the other side of me had 2 target stands on their lane (limit 1) and I had to try hard not to line my target up with theirs, they also tried to pick up their guns and leave during the ceasefire. has anybody else noticed a lot of idiots at the range this time of year?
Old January 2, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2
rapier144

Question what does that make you for staying around idiots? Sorry couldn't resist.
Old January 2, 2006, 11:07 PM   #3
yorec

So someone has a new gun and comes to the range for the first time... Thier unfamiliarity with range rules and atmosphere make 'em idiots...

Glad I frequent a different range than you - here we take new shooters under our wing and teach them the proper methods. No name calling or disparaging remarks. Nice to see new gunnies - especially young ones out for the first time with that shiny new .22. Even if they need help with it.
Old January 3, 2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Recon7

I do not call them idiots because they are new, they ARE idiots because they do not have respect for the lethal power or thier firearms and are DANGEROUS .When i walk downrange i don't want a loaded rifle pointed at me! I did help the young one with the shiny 22 learn the proper method of unloading his weapon after the ceacefire, but all he had to do is listen to the commands from the "tower". I am always polite to others at the range, after all they are armed.
Old January 5, 2006, 06:45 PM   #5
OneInTheChamber

I'll share a worse case of this:

Motocross tracks. I practice/race a lot at these tracks and after every Christmas a bunch of people come who have no idea how to ride and shouldn't be out on a track that is for experienced riders only. They make beginner's tracks for these people. I'm hitting 100 ft. jumps at 60 mph with these guys barely holding their line next to me. If one of them swerves into me as I blow past them, its hurt me a lot more than them.

At the range I like to try to help new shooters; but I don't tolerate dangerous ones. I'll either move to another range (i.e. short range handgun to shooting skeet) or I'll help them if they seem to be doing it on accident. You don't want to be mean to them, but you really don't want to get shot either.

My .02c

Chase