The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 19, 2013, 07:50 AM   #1
Alabama Shooter

Fox News Changes Course Backs Gun Rights

Poll results independently orderd by FNC are in that show people favor more guns over gun bans by a two to one margin. Lots of other interesting resullts too. Apparently most are not interested in more gun control. The cynic in me says a lot but on the plus side there are nearly a dozen pro gun articles over there which no other MSM would dare publish.

Here is the poll and a few of the articles:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...educe-violent/

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...ntcmp=obinsite
The above article is really good.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...ntcmp=obinsite
Old January 19, 2013, 08:01 AM   #2
Bud Helms

Alabama Shooter,

I am looking for the theme stated in your thread title, that FOX has changed their position on gun control: "Fox News Changes Course Backs Gun Rights".

I don't see it.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Alabama Shooter

Maybe you missed the Juan Williams article I posted Monday supporting the president saying that he had the right to ban firearms through EOs.

here it is:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...d-gun-control/
Old January 19, 2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Alabama Shooter

Here is a good article that explains FNCs mood swings on gun control:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...t-so-much.html
Old January 19, 2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Well, that helps.

However, Juan Williams' position is not exactly a FOX News sponsored political position. Most regular viewers of FOX, know that Williams was rescued by FOX from his dumping (firing) by NPR. He is still a proponent of the other side of the political aisle and freely admits it.

Anyway, as long as there is some continuity to the story line to which you refer in your title, we can now follow your topic.

Thanks.

[ETA: Okay, you posted that last while I was posting. I'm scratching my head over that nymag.com article. I fail to see how it supports your assertion.]

Last edited by Bud Helms; January 19, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:35 AM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Maybe you missed the Juan Williams article I posted Monday supporting the president saying that he had the right to ban firearms through EOs.
I'm on staff, and I don't clearly recall that one either. When starting a new thread, it's a good idea to give it context on its own.

We have no indication that Williams represents the overall opinion of Fox News. Sometimes, writers run counter the general beliefs of the editorial board.

In any case, Williams' article has some glaring factual errors.
Old January 19, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
Alabama Shooter

"Factual errors"

Ya think?

I think the CEO is privately in favor of more as noted as a possibility in the NY article but is willing to support more public rights as part of a greater agenda. Compare this to the rest of the media where it seems the exact opposite is the idea.

They want more for themselves but less for everyone else. Kind of ironic really.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:37 AM   #8
L_Killkenny

While Juan Williams is kinda expected to hold the anti-gun line I was surprised at the lack of 2nd amendment support many of their other contributors showed in the beginning including Bill O'Reilly. I don't have specific links but when it all started many at Fox News were fence sitting while leaning towards the left on this issue. IMO they definitely showed their "big city" stripes and ignorance on this issue. The only one on Fox that steadily held the line against semi and highcap mag bans was Hannity.

By the turn around that I've noticed in the last week, I'm not the only one who felt this way and someone put a bug in their ear.
Old January 19, 2013, 12:13 PM   #9
slim9300

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Killkenny View Post
While Juan Williams is kinda expected to hold the anti-gun line I was surprised at the lack of 2nd amendment support many of their other contributors showed in the beginning including Bill O'Reilly. I don't have specific links but when it all started many at Fox News were fence sitting while leaning towards the left on this issue. IMO they definitely showed their "big city" stripes and ignorance on this issue. The only one on Fox that steadily held the line against semi and highcap mag bans was Hannity.

By the turn around that I've noticed in the last week, I'm not the only one who felt this way and someone put a bug in their ear.
Shows how fragile our rights are. I heard the same thing on conservative talk radio for a week after the tragedy. Now the same hosts are saying the exact opposite with regard to ARs and high cap mags. Sickening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 19, 2013, 12:56 PM   #10
traderpats

I was watching O'Reilly when he states registration and ban on 30 rd mags is "reasonable". Really? Hannity is the one pushing for our rights. O'Reilly is just another RINO out for his own ratings. Thanks a lot Bill.....
Old January 19, 2013, 01:27 PM   #11
Skans

Guys, just look at what is going on in gun stores across this nation - more people than ever are buying guns. The number of gun owners are increasing at a very fast rate. Gun stores and manufactures can't keep up with demand, and this has been going on since the election. Whether we like it or not, it is now becoming "cool" to own a gun.

I really don't know where this is going to go or end up - but the demographics are rapidly changing in our favor.
Old January 19, 2013, 02:33 PM   #12
mayosligo

Have to remember that Williams, Hannity and O'Reilly types are not reporters or representative of what FOX as a whole believes. They are for the most part opinion columnist/entertainers. So these are their opinions. Williams is the token liberal on FOX just like Buchanan was the token conservative on MSNBC.
Old January 19, 2013, 05:16 PM   #13
NWPilgrim

O'Reilly has always been for gun control. I don't listen to him anymore but I can't recall him ever speaking up for any gun rights except the proverbial duck hunter.

Fox is hosted in NYC so I would not be surprised if many on their staff are brainwashed and ignorant about guns and gun owners.

Fox seems to have taken a left turn of sorts a few years ago. More and more liberal opinions to "balance" rather than just seeking the truth and facts.

Events and issues such as these reveal who the friends of liberty and truth are, and are not. Short list of public friends but a mile long line of gun owners voting with their wallets.
Old January 19, 2013, 10:57 PM   #14
MLeake

O'Reilly is from Boston, which is a historically anti area, and works in NYC.

Should we really be surprised that a media type from an anti area, in an anti area, a member of a profession that is often anti, might be an anti?

I realize there are pro-gun folks in Boston and NYC, but they are either a minority, or they are woefully ineffective voters.

Edit: Both sides of my family were from the Boston area, so I have some idea what I am talking about, and I am not just bashing. Pervasive environments influence thought.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:11 PM   #15
mayosligo

Actually O'Reilly is a New York who went to Harvard ( same difference). Surprising he is not more left.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:13 PM   #16
mayosligo

From Boston myself. FYI. West Roxbury (Wicked Awesome).
Old January 19, 2013, 11:13 PM   #17
SPEMack618

And our good friend Geraldo "let's go live and say where we are while Iraq still has cable" Rivera is no friend to the 2nd Amendment either and is a Fox News anchor.
Old January 19, 2013, 11:55 PM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

We're really just getting into partisan politics here.
Closed Thread