The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old July 14, 2010, 06:11 PM   #51
carolina45

Gpal rip

I've been ripped for $1379 - told all the same BS I've read through this thread - if you believe the last line of crud then your demented. Just in case you didn't notice that whole thread was within the Gpal business forum of CalGun.net and the GpalVP has decided he's heard enough and CLOSED the thread.
Old July 14, 2010, 07:53 PM   #52
Sooka615

carolina45...

Yea, just went over and noticed that all the threads that have to do with the present issue have been closed.

I did just add one to the GPal vendor forum that I thought was worth some consideration though....

And I think it would help them to get through these issues at hand if they had more CS people instead of just Chad and the newbie he's probably having to train in the middle of all this...
Old July 14, 2010, 11:29 PM   #53
teumessian_fox

Quote:
that whole thread was within the Gpal business forum of CalGun.net and the GpalVP has decided he's heard enough and CLOSED the thread
Which is extremely curious since Kestryll, the owner, posted this:

Quote:
Let me help clear this up.

I own Calguns, Me, not Ben.

Ben owns Gpal, Ben, not me.

Ben does serve as an adviser for Calguns but does not own it.

I am on the Gpal Advisory Board but do not own it nor do I have a financial interest in Gpal other than having an account there myself.
When I first read that I got the impression that the GPal guy was just a member like everybody else.

Then the next thing I know is that the GPal guy who merely serves as an "advisor" has locked all the threads re GPal.

Those guys are messed up.
Old July 15, 2010, 01:25 AM   #54
SimplySebastian

I made a report with the FTC today. The lady that I spoke with knew who I was talking about and didn't require any specific info regarding the company. She already had it. She said that she had "a number" of reports today. If you're still having issues with the retrieval of funds from GPAL you should contact the FTC (877-382-4357).
Old July 15, 2010, 01:52 AM   #55
SimplySebastian

Latest from Calguns

Here's the latest post from GPal's VP on CalGuns.net:

Quote:
Like any other forum, this one needs to be moderated and kept free of nonsense. No threads will be deleted if they serve a legitimate purpose. That's all I was saying. Thanks for your input.

To the rest of you, GPal is NOT failing. We will come through this stronger and even more capable than before. You can either help us achieve success or detract from us. The fact remains that we're the only payment processor standing up for your rights to buy and sell firearms and related items. The trouble we are dealing with is coming as a result of a very deep and widespread hatred of gun sales within the banking industry. For those of you wishing for our demise, there will be no one to replace us and you'll be left trying to fool PayPal only to get your account frozen when they learn what you're really doing.

The difference between us and them is we're trying like hell to get everybody their funds and we love the gun industry and all of our customers who buy/sell firearms related items. As stated previously withdrawals are on their way as we speak and we'll be updating our customers individually as to the status.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=321719

I'm sorry but playing the "we're all you've got so shut up and help us make this work" card is pretty weak. That ship has sailed. I tried to keep my mouth shut at first for this exact reason but those days are over. GunPal/Gpal should have worked out the banking portion of their product well in advance of its launch. Blaming the "anti-gun bogyman" for your problems is pathetic. GPal had to have had contracts in place with its banking partners. The partners had to have known that they'd be dealing with firearm transactions, the company's name was GunPal for crap's sake. Something stinks here.

I just want my money. If you want to head off the bashing on the internet respond to tickets and phone calls. When you do respond, provide actual information, not just empty promises. If I hear I'm going to get my money on day X or my bank is holding up the transfer again I'm going to go crazy. I don't think you've got the ability to disburse funds right now. If you can't get me my money right now don't lie about it, it's just going to make me and everyone else more upset when the day we're supposed to get our funds comes and goes.

The person I feel most sorry for (besides myself of course) is that Chad guy who seems to be the only member of the GPal support "team" (a team of one?). He sounds like he's about to jump off a bridge when you do finally get to talk to him. Ben Cannon (GPAL CEO and self professed master of the universe) is a complete scum bag (IMHO) and Chad is stuck between that **** and a bazillion people who Ben's company owes money to. Not a good place to be in. Chad, it's been nice speaking with you and hopefully you'll find employment somewhere else in the near future.

Sebastian
Old July 15, 2010, 10:19 AM   #56
teumessian_fox

Wow. I just noticed that Gpal is the "Payments Processor of Choice" for Auction Arms.

Some people are gluttons for punishment.
Old July 16, 2010, 12:59 AM   #57
Motorcopm4

took me 14 days to receive my funds, thats Unacceptable in my book
Old July 16, 2010, 08:52 AM   #58
Sooka615

So I'm guessing they started processing transactions, but the catch is, it will still take 2 to 7 business days to receive the funds... Now I know from experiance that it only takes a couple of hours to do a wire transfer. So why does it take GPal so long to do one?
Old July 16, 2010, 03:10 PM   #59
SimplySebastian

I was told the same thing. I've been told that I'm right about to get my money several times before with no money deposited in my account so I'm not expecting any this time around. ACH transfers can take 24 hours and your bank should be able to see them pending before they hit your account. You may want to call your bank and ask if any ACH's are pending.

If anyone gets their money please post it here to give the rest of us hope. I'm operating under the assumption that I'll never get my money out of them so if I do it will be a very nice surprise.

I'm pretty sure I won't ever use GPal again after this whole nightmare. I know for a fact that I won't use it as long as Ben Cannon is involved. His handling of this debacle is despicable. At best he's a liar and at worst he's a total fraud. If GPal has any hope of turning the ship around step one is to oust that lying egomaniac and get a solid manager in charge of the company. Let Ben go back to prancing around the Ballet, misrepresenting his hole-in-the-wall webhosting biz and running scam raffles. He seems to do fine in those pursuits. Just keep him away from other people's money.

Sebastian
Old July 16, 2010, 07:25 PM   #60
michael t

Quote:
I made a report with the FTC today. The lady that I spoke with knew who I was talking about and didn't require any specific info regarding the company. She already had it. She said that she had "a number" of reports today. If you're still having issues with the retrieval of funds from GPAL you should contact the FTC (877-382-4357).
When I filed my complaint They encouraged me to get everyone that has a problem to call and file
I checked my account today still no money I requested transfer 24 June Because I wanted out as that transfer before took amost 3 weeks of excuses . I still have funds left as they wouldn't allow me to remove all MY MONEY. Without giving them a Credit card number I ask why and they said to prevent fraud. What a joke
Old July 16, 2010, 08:35 PM   #61
grubbylabs

Wow it is amazing how people do business, I guess I won't be doing any with them.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 16, 2010, 09:54 PM   #62
SimplySebastian

If anyone has any info on the class action lawsuit that's being put together please post it here. There was a post on CalGuns with a phone number to call but the GPal board members who moderate/own that forum quickly deleted it. Like the previous poster my "I'm sure you'll have your money by then" day has come and gone for the third or fourth time, I can't keep count. My bank says no ACH transfers are in the pipe so that's that.
Old July 16, 2010, 11:55 PM   #63
zxcvbob

Class action lawsuit is the worst possible approach. The class participants never get anything out of it; even if you win, the lawyers will come up with some kind of settlement where they keep all the money -- you might get a coupon, or a check for $1.27. (I've been a winner in a C/A suit where I didn't even get a coupon for a cup of coffee)
Old July 17, 2010, 02:32 AM   #64
SimplySebastian

Yes, the class action lawsuit won't get me my money back. I'm not hopeful that I will get my money back before the company folds.

I would like to see those who orchestrated this ponzi scheme (it's starting to smell like one) held accountable for their actions somehow be it via a class action lawsuit or some other device. Maybe the FTC will become involved? I don't want Ben Cannon et al to be able to continue selling their "poor-us" fairy tale while they move on to some new scam.

Just the fact that they keep telling me they're incapable of mailing me a check should tell people all they need to know about GPal and its management. They can't go to their bank and have them print out a cashier's check? There can only be two reasons for that; they don't want to spend the $8 a cashier's check costs OR they don't have the funds to pay out.

Sebastian
Old July 18, 2010, 05:37 PM   #65
michael t

I really believe their out of money and were able to float for a while. Then people started complaining and wanted their money and its not their . Now it in the fan and their blaming every body . They have never offered any proof it was any one other than them They have stone wall people for weeks .I think this new excuse is just another stall . Will start sending funds to people waiting on Wed at 4 Pacific. says the not. Yet Chad tell me that afternoon will be at least 7 days yet again.
Old July 18, 2010, 06:09 PM   #66
carolina45

Michael T how much money are you actually out if you don't mind letting us know. I'm trying to get a handle on the shear magnitude of this thing as I've been all over the boards reading thousands of dollars owed - - and one guy right here owed $3900+ ...

They are supposedly working with a new bank and will start processing ACH transactions early next week at least that's what someone over on CalGuns.net said -
Old July 18, 2010, 07:43 PM   #67
SimplySebastian

The people who are owed the most are merchants and I'd imagine most of them won't be publicly complaining about the cash flow issues GPal has caused them. The smaller merchants have been posting numbers.

I'm only owed about $1,100.

Last edited by SimplySebastian; July 18, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old July 18, 2010, 10:17 PM   #68
armoredman

Interestingly enough, I had the same issue with this service provider many months ago, and was ripped a new one on this board and others by defenders of the provider. I guess I was the crest of the wave. I wish you all luck in your quests.
Old July 18, 2010, 11:44 PM   #69
SimplySebastian

Ben Cannon has promised an update on CalGuns.net by tonight:

Quote:
I apologize for the delays. We are working to get this solved, expect an announcement on how tonight.

Best!
-Ben.
"Tonight" has come and gone in my time zone. Hopefully we'll hear something solid by midnight in Ben's timezone (how many hours ahead of GMT are the Caymans?)

It's been interesting watching people post in the GPal forum at CalGuns only to have those posts vanish shortly thereafter. If GPal staff spent as much time returning calls/emails as they do deleting complaints I doubt we'd be in this mess. I find the details people are contributing about Ben's previous scams and personal history to be quite enlightening. Sadly those posts seem to be the first to go.

Ben's avatar is attached to this post. And yes Ben, i was sure your name was spelled correctly in both the FTC complaint and FBI reports I filed.

Sebastian

Last edited by Mal H; July 19, 2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Ben's avatar is not pertinenet to this discussion
Old July 18, 2010, 11:56 PM   #70
SimplySebastian

The Solution?

Quote:
Recently GPal has been experiencing difficulties with the banks providing our electronic transfer services that allow us to make deposits and withdrawals to and from customer checking accounts. For weeks we have been working day and night to resolve these problems. We solved the problem many times, only to have the new banks cause more issues. We realize now the serious mistake we made, not immediately telling you, our customer, more about the problems we were having and how you would be affected. For this we offer our sincerest apologies and hope you will forgive us.

It now appears that repeated attempts at electronic transfers to some customers were not successful. As such, we are now issuing paper checks on request to anyone who's electronic withdrawal is overdue. If you would like to have a paper check mailed to you please email GPal Customer Support at [email protected] and we will make sure a check is mailed to you right away. Please make sure your GPal Confirmed address is current and valid. Very soon the www.GPal.net website will have the functionality to process your withdrawals by check directly through the website.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience GPal has caused many of you. We are continuing working hard to restore our checking account transfer services. We appreciate you as a customer and thank you for your patience and support during this time.

Sincerely,
Ben Cannon
Chairman/CEO
GPal, Inc.
Ben's "solution" is posted here in case of further editing or deletion. I can't believe it took him a month to come up with this. Everyone's been screaming for them to mail out checks for weeks now.

I look forward to hearing that old chestnut "your check is in the mail" when I call to complain about not getting my check in a month or two. Of course we have to request the checks. The 30,000 calls and support tickets I've already submitted don't count. It will be interesting to see if their checks are any good.

Sebastian
Old July 19, 2010, 09:26 AM   #71
Mike Irwin
Staff

LISTEN UP, FOLKS!

This thread, for the most part, has been a good clearing house of information on individuals' problems with GPAL, and for the most part it's been free of childish name calling and specious accusations or assumptions.

Noted that I said for the MOST part.

If your message has been deleted, you can rest assured that you were engaging in childish name calling or making specious accusations or assumptions.

IF you have direct experience with GPAL and their operations, or have otherwise been affected by their ongoing troubles, you are encouraged to post in this thread, as long as you follow TFL's rules.

If, however, you have no direct experience with GPAL and have not been affected, but only wish to throw in your '2 cents,' about how you'll never do business with them, or expressing your general outrage with some good old fashioned name calling....

Don't.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 19, 2010, 09:52 AM   #72
Sooka615

Thanks GPal!

Yes, the title of this thread is sarcastic. As of today, I am owed over $1000.00 by GPal. Not as much as some, I know. As of tomorrow, my business on Gunbroker will freeze, and even though I have emailed them about the situation, my customers and the people I have bought things from will probably assume I flaked out on them. Truth is, I have been owed money for 3 weeks and haven't seen a penny of it. I keep getting 'press excuses' which in my book is just GPal stalling for time until they can either get this resolved, or Mr. Cannon can skip out. Either way, I'm not able to pay the monthly fees for Gunbroker, and that is the only income I have to pay my bills and survive. I have been living on savings since the end of May and I'm tapped out.

So thanks GPal, my business is now like yours... down the toilet.
Old July 19, 2010, 06:03 PM   #73
SimplySebastian

If I have crossed any lines here I am sorry. I will limit my posts to my own personal experiences getting my money back from GPal.

I appreciate you leaving this venue open to those of us who want to commiserate about GPal. Many other site owners are not so accommodating. One site owner told me that they were contacted by GPal and threatened with a libel suit for hosting customer comments. If the owner of this site is in a similar camp and has chosen to ignore Ben's intimidation tactics I thank you.

I have submitted a new ticket expressing my desire for the "check is in the mail" payment option. I also tried to call GPal today however their phones are down, again. They say on CalGuns that the phones are "overwhelmed." My ticket has been active since last night and as of now I've received no reply. I'm sure they're swamped to I'll give it to tomorrow. They never really responded to my tickets before however I'm hopeful that they'll take this one seriously.

There's still no mention of any of this on their website. According to the site it's business as usual. If PayPal was without the ability to disburse funds they would probably do everything in their power to inform their customers of this fact. GPal continues to try to hide their condition and put on a false front.

Sebastian
Old July 20, 2010, 07:22 PM   #74
zxcvbob

This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I can't look away!

Has anyone else noticed that the 1 person on calguns that allegedly received his money was banned -- and already banned by the time he posted about getting the money. How does that work? (has anyone verified that he received his money?)

Old July 21, 2010, 01:00 AM   #75
SimplySebastian

I too was puzzled by that. A lot of the (now deleted) posts I've seen have indicated that people who were complaining about GPal early on were getting PM's from CalGuns members telling them to shut-up and that they're hurting "the movement" by complaining. Maybe that guy got banned for getting in a heated PM fight with a mod there? Who knows. Ben still claims to "own" CalGuns and his dumpy hosting company hosts it so I'd imagine he can ban whomever he wants.

There are also a few Ben Cannon fan-boys on CalGuns calling everyone names for wanting their money back. I have to wonder how they'd behave if Ben had their money as well. For some reason they don't seem to get banned for their quasi-threatening comments.

I noticed that Auction Arms pulled the GPal logo off their site today. They put it back up a little later but with a note on it that says they're working with GPal to get their members their money back. If you spend any time on the Auction Arms forums you'll see a lot of the dealers there are very upset. Like elsewhere on the net Auction Arms has been deleting the majority of the negative GPal posts. I don't understand why these sites allow endless bashing of PayPal but warning people about GPal somehow crosses the line. I'm guessing Ben's threatening a lot of these sites with litigation if negative comments aren't removed.

My ticket was not responded to again today. GPal's phones remain broken or disabled. I broke down and created a user account at CalGuns and asked that GPalVP guy to call me as he seems eager to help. The thread was deleted five minutes after I posted it. I remain pessimistic that I'll be reunited with my money.

Sebastian
Closed Thread