The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 22, 2014, 03:36 PM   #1
mfish7

Please help me identify this pre 64 Model 70

Hello,

I recently acquired (traded it for a pistol) this Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 made in 1954. I am wondering if anyone knows what stock I have? After searching for many hours online, the closest stocks I could find were made by Roy Dunlap, but I never saw any that were exactly like the stock in question. Please estimate the value if you can as well. Let me know if you need more info?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mfish7; July 22, 2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 23, 2014, 01:01 AM   #2
Scorch

You have a Winchester Model 70 that has been restocked at some point in its life with an aftermarket stock of indeterminate origin in a style somewhat popular in the 1960s-1970s or thereabouts. The workmanship shown is not top-rate, as shown by the rounded corners and the type of finish applied, but it is nonetheless someone's idea of a custom rifle.
Old July 23, 2014, 01:08 AM   #3
mfish7

Thanks

Thanks for your input. The person I traded it with inherited it from his grandfather and claimed it was the original stock, which leads me to believe that, as far he knows, that's the stock that was on the rifle every time he saw it growing up. He said he stained and refinished the stock while he owned it, which is why the quality is lacking. I plan to strip it and make it look better. Again, thanks for the help!
Old July 23, 2014, 08:21 AM   #4
jmr40

That chunky stock is out of place on a FWT. At times you will see takeoff stocks on e-bay, gunbroker etc. I'd look around for a factory stock to refinish or look for something aftermarket that fit the lines much better. I wouldn't spend the money or time with the stock on there.

If I could afford it that rifle would be sent to a reputable gunsmith to be used as the basis for a full blown custom.
Old July 23, 2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Jim Watson

Agree with above.
If you feel up to some carving, there is a Featherweight stock hiding in that big piece of walnut you now have.
As jmr says, there are takeoff Winchester stocks and a variety of aftermarket stocks.
Old July 25, 2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Picher

The stock may have been a Fajen (sp) semi-finished stock, though Bishop semi-inletted stocks had plenty of wood that could be shaped that way. It may have been done in the '60s or '70s?