The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 7, 2013, 11:26 PM   #1
Schlossy Burger

Where to legally shoot in Washington State

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any spots in Washington, I live in Everett so the closer the better. I spoke to a sheriff and he recommended somewhere in Monroe but that's about all the information I got. He also said to look at this map http://sheriff.snoco.org/Documents/N...ull_County.pdf
But I am not sure how to find out of the land is public or private. If anyone has any areas they know of it would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 7, 2013, 11:54 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

You can legally shoot on any National Forest land unless it has been closed by order. Go to Skykomish on Hwy. 2, stop in the Ranger Station there on the highway, inquire about shooting up the Beckler River Road, there are at least two areas where the Forest Service would have you go to reduce the impact on other places, Rapid River and Jacks Pass. Both are safe areas, good scenery driving to them, and makes a fine outing. Rapid River is just for plinking, Jacks Pass has a little more range, not much though, they are just for recreationists. Passenger cars are fine on either road.

Be sure to pick up your brass, and any more you can find, no bottles, no garbage, pack it out, and be safe. Don't shoot the trees or across any road, stream, near a campground or occupied area, that kind of thing.

You can get a sandwich at the Skykomish Deli, or eat in town there, the Deli is good and the Cascadia serves a good breakfast or lunch. It's a depressed area, so they need your custom.
Old June 9, 2013, 12:14 AM   #3
Schlossy Burger

Thank you so much for the info, I'll check it out next weekend, I'm looking forward to it. If anyone else has other spots feel free to share. I'll be clean and tidy
Old June 9, 2013, 09:21 AM   #4
DMZX

Most of the NF roads were constructed with timber $$$ so as to get the logs out of the woods. There are borrow pits scattered about most Ranger Districts with extensive road systems. Most are rarely used anymore. These are the very best places to shoot on NF lands. Isolated, safe and can usually be driven into.

Ask at the Ranger District office about locations of borrow or gravel pits. If the receptionist is well versed, she/he may know where they are at or well call someone that knows. Some District maps show the location of pits, marked with crossed picks.

Ask to buy a District map, or Fire Map. They are very good quality and cost only $6. Most NF website offer free USGS base maps for downloads, which are also very useful.

FS maps also show public and private land boundarys, and they are usually marked with yellow boundary signs stating "The lands behind this sign are publicly owned" or some such.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Bart Noir

Schlossy, welcome to The Firing Line. You sound like the kind of shooter that we encourage and I wish you lots of fun in the woods. Just be sure there is a hillside for your bullets to perforate, and if I insult an experienced and safe shooter, my apologies are attached.

You didn't ask, but this website has info on indoor ranges, in case you want to shoot handguns during The Great Drizzle, which is a weather system that covers the area for at least 50% of the year

WA shooting ranges

The one called Sam's Gun Shop in south Everett is now owned by Pacific Coast Arms, I believe. It (Sam's) used to take non-member shooters but now you likely need to purchase some sort of membership.

And here are gunshops:

WA gunshops

This thread shows you the TFL member who deserves thanks for the above lists:

Older TFL thread

Bart Noir
Old June 12, 2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Clark

Unstructured shooting in WA is something I have watched evolving for 50 years.

Where every it is ok, so many shoot there that it becomes not ok there.

So there is an ever expanding ring that moves further and further away.

To the North and South there is high population density along I-5.
To the West there is Puget Sound.

To the East there are National Forests, but the mountains go straight up.

Even if it is legal to shoot on my property, the neighbors will complain about noise.

The timber companies that allow hunting, often do not allow target practice.

Lately I have been driving 900 miles to where I can set up and shoot at up to 600 yards with no on bothering me.

I reload in the vehicle

I put a target on a hill

I climb up on top of a vehicle and start shooting.

Then I drive to the target.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old June 12, 2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Patriot86

Clark..that is one hell of a set up
Bravo