The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 9, 2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Gaz_in_NZ

Winchester X22LRPP question.

(This has been posted as an aside in another post, no replies to it as the post was about the ammo shortage)

Just bought 1500 Winchester x22lrpp yesterday morning.
I have noticed (only checked 1x50 box up to now) that the noses can be rotated in the brass case on nearly every round... Is this a Crimp problem or normal?
Will they be OK to use?
I normally use CCI 40grain round nose but they were out of stock with no lead time on another CCI shipment.
The Winchesters were cheap enough, buy 2 bricks get one free, so I got some.
The noses can't be pulled out but the rotational thing got me a bit worried.
I assumed (rightly or wrongly) that Winchester would have good QC on their crimps so this must probably be normal and they are probably OK.
These are USA Winchesters not the Australian made ones.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Old April 9, 2013, 01:53 AM   #2
MarkDozier

This is normal on 22 LR ammo. Is usually has no effect on average ammo. I don't know wjy it is like this. We were discussing this yesterday at the range.
Old April 9, 2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Gaz_in_NZ

Thanks for that, I did check some of the CCI that I have left and the noses were all tight.
I have never noticed lose noses before on .22's but in all honesty I don't think I have ever checked .22 before yesterday so dunno why I checked the Winchesters (never used them before, maybe that's why).

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers

G
Old April 10, 2013, 11:06 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

It's not ideal, but it's not uncommon. It should have no effect on how it shoots and there is no safety concern.

It will cut down on the storage life of the ammo because it's not sealed as well as it could be. That will allow humidity in the air to more rapidly affect the powder and primer, cutting down shelf life.

It's not a big deal unless you're planning to stockpile a bunch of .22LR ammo. If you're trying to pack some away to shoot after you retire, I'd pick some that doesn't have bullets that spin.
Old April 11, 2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Gaz_in_NZ

JohnKSa,
Thanks for that. Don't Think it'll be around long though, myself and my son get through around 300+ rounds a week at the range with plinking and shooting the odd comp (which HP's probably aren't the best stuff to use but I couldn't get any CCI Target at the time).

Cheers

G