The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 17, 2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Diggerdawg

LCP and Buffalo Bore ammo....

So I finally got my LCP .380 about a month ago and until today had only been able to find FMJ range ammo which has functioned flawlessly - I've been extremely happy with with it so far. I've decided that Corbon 80 grn. DPX will be my self defense ammo of choice and I've ordered some online but as with everything else these days it is in backorder neverland.

So I had decided to order some Buffalo Bore Gold Dot, which as some of you may know is labled as +P (even though that doesn't really exist for 380) - and some say not to use it in the LCP, although many have reported that it works fine for a few round function test at the range and then to load for carry.

It arrived via UPS this week and I tried it out today but it did not function well! After a round or two (and the recoil is stout but not unmanageable), the magazine unseats itself and thus fails to load the next round. Now I don't think my finger was hitting the mag release, but the recoil is stout with this round and the gun does feel a bit like it wants to jump out of the hand so I suppose anything is possible. With normal strength range ammo, no problem like this at all.

Needless to say, I'm not going to fire any more Buffalo Bore out of it. Does anyone have any theories or thoughts on this? My plan is to wait until I receive the DPX and see how that functions.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:33 PM   #2
seaville

I've used speer gold dot, hornaday cd, and wolf--each in jhp. Also 4 different brands of ball ammo in my lcp--no-problems. I had heard about trouble with buffalo bore and mag-tech in lcps. One case that I read --the ammo was too long and stuck in the mag and caused the problem that you described.

ps Hornady critical defense has been the most accurate of any .380 ammo that I have tested and it has less recoil, but seems to be powerful. I like high powered ammo and shoot it in my other weapons. I don't feel that it's a good idea to shoot the most powerful ammo in the lcp.

Last edited by seaville; May 17, 2009 at 10:43 PM.