The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 25, 2004, 11:12 PM   #1
colt44

Loading Colt Paterson

Hello fellow shooters: I have an Uberti Paterson with the loading lever. Just exactly how do you load the ball with out removing the barrel? There seem so little room between the cylinder and the barrel. Kind regards. Colt44
Old June 27, 2004, 01:21 PM   #2
gunsmither

I just noticed this post colt44. I had done a search for "Patterson", then "Patterson Revolver", but nothing came up. I have one without the loading lever, and just posted asking about tools for it.

I'm not sure what your gun looks like. Are you saying that there is not enough room to fit a ball in? If so, perhaps you have to roll the cylinder away from the barrel flange slightly to get the ball in? Or perhaps set the ball in the chamber mouth as you rotate the cylinder to ramming position? Hope that makes sense. Just a thought.

You may have to open up the frontal area slightly for the ball to fit; perhaps it's not manufactured to spec? Hope you solve the mystery and start makin' smoke! Joe
Old September 7, 2004, 09:12 PM   #3
Kimber_Man

I looked at a few views of the Uberti 36 cal.Paterson and yes I see what your talking about, sorry I do not have a solution. I am interested to find out how you do load it. Perhaps your useing too large of balls, maybe it is supposed to sink into the cylinder further before you use the loading lever. Read your owners manual and make sure your useing proper diameter balls, it may need smaller ones. Although my 1860 and every other C&B revolver I have had or shot has a nice tight fit and balls would not slip into cylinder, maybe the paterson is different, I dont see any other way it could work. There just isnt enough room for the ball to fit. Consult the manufacturer and maybe someone can help here. Or maybe balls must be started with a seperate rod first. Other than that, I have no idea. I havent had any expierence with 36. cal cap-n-ball, or a peterson for that matter. Everything I have said is pure speculation. Ask the manufacturer or email VTIgunparts, they have responded quickly to my emails in the past. They might be willing to tell ya how to do it.

Gunsmither,
Here is a Link to VTIgunparts with a exploaded view and photo of the Uberti paterson. You might be right about the "ramming" but that just seems strange. To ram a chunk of lead through. Maybe the flange would prevent ball "boogering" your idea still sounds better than what I came up with........

What ever you come up with, keep us posted I am curious to know how it goes.

Last edited by Kimber_Man; September 7, 2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old September 8, 2004, 10:46 AM   #4
Cap n ball

Over at http://blackpowderonline.com/June02Txsarm.htm there is an article about this firearm. There is a pretty good description of how it was loaded.

(Excerpt)
"Some glitches, however, plagued the Patterson. Early models had no facilities for charging the cylinder without removing the barrel. An extra loaded cylinder could be carried and placed into action fairly quickly, but changing it on the back of a running horse could be problematic to anyone other than a three handed chap. Reloading the cylinder of a Patterson on a charging or retreating mount was well nigh impossible. Charging a cylinder in the early Patterson required a special tool, which fitted into the barrel wedge slot of the cylinder pin for ramming the ball over the powder in the chamber. During loading the barrel had to be dropped in a pocket or placed on a rock, stump, table, etc. Colt did develop an ingenious flask, which would dispense five powder charges into the cylinder simultaneously from one end and place five balls over the powder from the other end of the flask."
Old September 9, 2004, 10:36 AM   #5
mec

The rammerless ones come with a multi tool that includes a screwriver, nipple wrench, pick and loading lever. The problem is that the tool is made of pot metal and will snap if you try to use it as a lever. I load mine by taking the cylinder out and seating the balls individually with a ball starter. Number ten caps with a little pinch are best for function. The shipment of loading lever Patersons arrived in 1842 (Texas) and Captain Jack Hays was overcome with joy because they could be reloaded without getting down off the horse.

Dismounting one of these things makes a Navy easy by comparison. Nevertheless it is possible. It may require much trial and error and cursing

Capping through the hammer slot may make you want a straight line capping tool. In general, using the Paterson requires extra special attention to safety.

Last edited by mec; September 9, 2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old September 9, 2004, 11:34 AM   #6
BigG

Apparently the maker forgot to cut the relief in the bbl shroud to accept the ball according to the website Cap n Ball referred us to:

Quote:
One problem existed with the loading system. In copying the relief in the barrel lug, the maker forgot to cut it to accept the .36 cal ball. We had to do a bit of careful grinding to enlarge the relief. True to the original the cylinder stops were round.
Apparently, your Uberti requires a bit of careful Dremel surgery.

I never knew they built a Paterson with the loading lever. The things you learn here!
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC