The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 30, 2010, 04:15 PM   #1
Gary L. Griffiths

"Sticky" material for pocket holsters

Hi, all!

I'm planning to make a pocket "wallet" style holster for my new LCP. I would like to attach some sort of "sticky" material to the outside so that it won't move around in my pocket.

Does anyone know what DeSantis uses in their "Nemesis" type holsters? Also, I once had an Uncle Mike's holster with some sort of rough material on it that made it practically impossible to slide against cloth. Does anyone know what type of material this is, and, more importantly, a source for it?

I hate to have to buy an Uncle Mike's pocket holster just to deconstruct it to salvage the sticky material, even though it's only around $10. I also don't wish to purchase any of the commercially available pocket holsters out there. I prefer to make my own to my specifications.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide! Thanks!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old March 30, 2010, 06:59 PM   #2
LukeA

I think you want some silicone. I would start looking in cooking stores. Usually they have some hotpads or trivets or something else that are silicone. Also check out cheap cellphone cases.
Old April 8, 2010, 11:17 AM   #3
isanchez2008

The stuff on the Nemesis reminds me of some shelf liner that was sold at a hardware store I worked at. If your talking really sticky look at their Superfly holster. Couldn't tell you what its made of. The silicone that was suggested may be a good fit for what you need
Old April 8, 2010, 11:32 AM   #4
DogoDon

You know what would be really cool? A unidirectional high-friction material that provides high friction against fabric in one direction but not in the opposite direction. That way, it would be easy to slide the holster into your pocket, but hard to slide it out of your pocket (as when drawing).

Having said that, I have no idea if any such materials exist. It seems it wouldn't be that hard to make such a material, though. All it would need is a lot of very small projections that are all angled (laying down) in one direction. They would have to have a decent amount of stiffness so they would resist being bent back in the opposite direction. The material then could be oriented on your pocket holster so that the projections are pointing up in the direction you draw your gun from the holster.

Somebody should invent it, if no one has already. Or maybe I just did.

DD
Old April 8, 2010, 11:58 AM   #5
DogoDon

After doing a little more digging, it appears the property I was referring to above is called "friction anisotropy". Snake skin and shark skin have this property. So something that mimics those might work. I know Speedo makes swim suits for competitive swimmers that mimic shark skin (see here), but I've never felt the fabric so I don't know if it would work for a pocket holster.

DD

Last edited by DogoDon; April 8, 2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added link
Old April 8, 2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Casimer

Not sure what the Desantis uses, but Top Grip could be a good option..

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-20__...AIRS-1031.aspx

or this stuff..

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-REPL...NRA_-1082.aspx

The patches are rough, like an abrasive grit that's been laminated and bound to a flexible backing.
Old April 18, 2010, 01:50 PM   #7
johnbt

Anybody ever try any Dycem? They make a variety of products, but the only one I have any experience with is the stuff used by OTs and PTs, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Dycem-Non-Slip.../dp/B000C221US

- Used by many occupational therapists, physical therapists and healthcare professionals as an effective anti-slip material
- Original material has a 0.4mm thick non-woven center carrier, is non-slip on both sides and flexible
- Can be cut to any size and is malleable so it can be fitted around various objects
- Washes easily with soap and water and color will not fade
- Can fix permanently to a surface with super glue or a neoprene 2-way contact adhesive
Old April 18, 2010, 02:52 PM   #8
curt.45

Velcro?
Old April 18, 2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Slopemeno

Use E-6000, which is a permanently flexible glue made by Ecclectic Corporation. Lay a bead around the perimiter of the holster, and there you go. Let it cure for 48 hours- stays flexible forever.

If I were making pocket holsters I'd probably sew a layer of silicone flat stock in the hoslter, and trim it about 1/8" proud of the edge.
Old May 1, 2010, 05:24 AM   #10
devildog4329

You can try Elmers Ruber Cement. We used to put it on the fingers and palms of our gloves when i did Cerimonial Drill. It sticks to wood and metal really well and would probably give you some grip on the inside of your pocket. It comes with a small brush. Just brush it on where you want it and let dry. You can add more layers where needed and you can also reapply if it wears down. The plus side is its like 2 dollars at Wally World.