The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you (or would you if you could) open carry regularly?
Yes. 37 25.52%
No. 76 52.41%
Would if I could. 32 22.07%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31, 2005, 06:35 AM   #1
SomeKid

Do you open carry regularly?

Ok, we have the opinions poll in another thread, but I am curious as to who actually does open carry. This is not to start a new debate on the subject, but I am curious as to who does it.

Regularly is defined for this poll as more than half the time.

The third option is a bone for any residents in a PR.
Old August 31, 2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Jkwas

First, a question.

Is the point of open carry that people must see the weapon, or you can carry it under a loose shirt for instance, and if it peaks out of the bottom, it's ok?
I would like a little clarification.
Old August 31, 2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Buzzard

I open carry right now , I have not gotten my CCW yet, I live in AZ, it is not uncommon to see open carry here. No one seems to notice and it does not seem to alarm anyone.
Old August 31, 2005, 08:30 AM   #4
20cows

After school on the way to and from the ranch, yes. Going into the larger town in our area for shopping and such, no.

I'd just like to have the option.

As it is now, I have to "hide" the gun I open carry on my place until I get to the gate and then take it off as I leave. I carry concealed in all other instances.
Old August 31, 2005, 09:03 AM   #5
BerettaCougar

I open carry when i'm hunting.
In the city (Tampa) I CC.
Old August 31, 2005, 09:13 AM   #6
Bravo25

I would if I could just because I don't want some potential BG to wonder if I am armed or not. Lets have a clear, and forthright understanding long before some crazy idea enters his head.

When faced with impossible overwhelming odds, prudance would dictate the only thing left is to figure out what is possible, and to do it.

Punishment for all crimes should increase until the recitivism rate approaches zero.
Old August 31, 2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Twycross

Pretty much the same as BerettaCougar. Open carry in the woods. But not regularly. And I don't have a CCW, so no carry in town.
Old August 31, 2005, 01:01 PM   #8
SomeKid

Jkwas

To clarify, neither.

The only way to open carry under your first situation, would be to hold it in your hand, and shoot it, while shaking deaf people and shoving it in their faces. The second idea you mention is simply an OWB style of carry.

When I say open carry, I mean people can see the gun if they look at the spot you carry it. Most people will not even notice, that is just the way they are. People really will miss an openly displayed gun, at least, that has been my experience. They do not HAVE to see it, but it must not be actively concealed.

I have an option for you poor Texans and Floridians, good luck getting those oppressive laws changed.

Last edited by SomeKid; August 31, 2005 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old August 31, 2005, 01:39 PM   #9
Superhornet

Somekid-----why worry about open carry?? About 8 months ago up around the Nooga area, you got your CCW.
Old August 31, 2005, 02:02 PM   #10
Sum1_Special

I think open carry is a great privilege, I love being able to grab my gun when going to the store and not having to worry about getting in trouble with the law. A plus side would also be that potential muggers know I'm packing.
Old August 31, 2005, 03:49 PM   #11
Dre_sa

i open carry only at home.
i had a crazy idea... how bout having to get a permit for open carry aswell as CC.
or perhaps having a nation wide test or certification stating that you are allowed to carry at all. open carry / concealed would be done according to personal preference.
Old August 31, 2005, 04:19 PM   #12
big daddy 9mm

I think it should be allowed but

I would not do it myself. like the element of surprise! plus I think its more wise to carry concealed over all.
Old August 31, 2005, 06:57 PM   #13
chris in va

We have to do that in ABC restaraunts here in VA. Sucks.
Old September 1, 2005, 04:25 AM   #14
SomeKid

Superhornet, I do not worry. We had another thread/poll however, and I was curious as to who supports OC, and who actually does. A lot of people support the right to, but few actually do. It was purely about finding out the numbers.

Oh, and it hasn't been any 8 months, more like 4. (TN state Gov doesn't have a quick turnaround, among other things.)

Sum1, privilege?
Old September 1, 2005, 07:20 PM   #15
Metal Head

When I go to shoot my gun I carry it openly, but I don't carry it on a regular basis.
Old September 5, 2005, 03:06 PM   #16
Ceol Mhor

I don't feel like asking permission and paying a fee to exercise a right, so I open carry regularly (my employer doesn't have an issue with it, which makes things much simpler).

If I need to carry concealed somewhere (which is fairly rare), I just do. Concealed means nobody can see it, y'know?
Old September 5, 2005, 03:51 PM   #17
LaVere

I have only open carried twice in receisent years. Michigan Laws says that we may. BUT ask any police person they will say no or We'll make it tuff on you and harass you or take you to court. Which means your money spent and time off work to prove you can legally anyway. I have CCw and just use that. Noone has stepped forward to be the test case.

Michigan constitution:
Article I, Section 6:

Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

I just doesn't get any plainer than that....
Old September 5, 2005, 04:04 PM   #18
USP45usp

A story:

When I first got to Oregon, I couldn't CCW due to they had a 6 month residency deal and such (and found it was against the law to boot). So I opened carried for the first couple of months.

I went to Winco (A local shopping center here in town, mainly food) and was walking though buying when a women yelled out "HE'S GOT A GUN!!!!!!!!!".

I was looking around..... gun, who, what, what is this, when I noticed that she was pointing at me.

Needless to say, I was given a talken to by the LEO's that responded (wasn't doing anything against the law, just that things like what happened could happen ). I was told that guns in the store should be concealled (by the manager) and that I was within the law but... some times you shouldn't do some things.

The only thing that I can think of is this, I could probably wear a chainsaw on my hip while going throught the store and I doubt that anyone would yell out "HE'S GOT A CHAINSAW!!!!" or any other tool that could be seen. Yet when you have a gun on your hip/leg, everyone (some, not everyone) seems to make it a point to shout out in a crowded place .

Wayne
Old September 5, 2005, 04:39 PM   #19
MillCreek

Open carry outside of the home or business is not permitted by law in Washington state, absent some narrowly drawn circumstances having to do with outdoor recreation. I would rarely, if ever, open carry even given the option. Why? It would in most cases up in the Seattle area draw unwelcome attention, and as someone who is well-known in his professional community, I would not want the notoriety.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old September 19, 2005, 01:17 AM   #20
Malamute

Yes

But I live 35 miles from town. When driving or in town leave the gun rig on the seat next to me, and cover it on the seat when I go in somewhere. Haven't ever heard of anyone being mugged in Wyoming so far, so have never bothered to get a ccw.
Old September 19, 2005, 09:02 AM   #21
Gannet

The only thing that will cure people's reactions to open carry is...more open carry. If it was common, folks would get used to it, just as folks have gotten used to the idea of common concealed carry in states that now have "shall issue" laws.

So, if I lived in a place where it was legal, I'd do more of it. I'd try to not be ostentatious, not be "in your face", and not "push it" by doing it in places like malls. The idea would be to ease folks into it.
Old September 19, 2005, 08:16 PM   #22
czc3513

I would OC if I could do so without getting the "look" and harassed by cops.
Maybe if about a quarter of the adult population OCed.
I would CC but I am very thin. I thought about CCing in my pants but I would probably get another "look".
I might CC this winter when I can wear my coat.
I dont really need a gun on me though.
I stay out of trouble and I dont walk the streets at night.
Old September 19, 2005, 11:56 PM   #23
Clinot

No.

Open carry for me makes me feel like I am more of a target than if I were carrying concealed. Don't really care for the excess attention.
Old September 25, 2005, 06:44 PM   #24
M1911

I like the idea of surprise. I carry concealed.
Old September 26, 2005, 02:01 AM   #25
enidpd804

CC only. OC is illegal in Oklahoma, generally. A gun is more valuable than a wallet. If you walk around with your wallet readily accessible on your hip, you're much more likely to have it taken. I won't get into weapon retention...etc.