The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 9, 1999, 03:41 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

For pistol caliber lever actions, which make do you prefer and why?
Old January 9, 1999, 06:27 PM   #2
Trapdoor Billy

Gary,

I bought a Rossi M-92 look alike in .44-40 about 3 years ago and love it. Shoots great, never failed to feed, and was inexpensive. They cost a little more now but I think they are still a good buy.

------------------
Trapdoor Billy
SASS, NCOWS, WASA

Old January 9, 1999, 10:21 PM   #3
BillOH

Gary, I also have a Rossi M 92 but mine is .44 Mag. I shoot .44 Specials in it and it recoils like a .22. It has never failed to function properly for me. I bought mine used a few years ago. Bill

------------------

Old January 10, 1999, 11:26 AM   #4
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy,

I have a Rossi 92 carbine and a Marlin Cowboy,both in .45 Colt. I replaced the rear sight on the Rossi,from the blade to a semi-buckhorn. Both are very accurate,but I prefer the Marlin due to the better sights,side eject,and steadiness of the longer,heavier barrel. Both guns have fed ammo flawlessly,and either is a good choice.
Some folks don't like the Marlin due to the cross-bolt safety. If that's a problem for you,you had better get a Rossi quick,because they are putting a crossbolt on the 92 real soon now.

Bellicose Bill
Old January 11, 1999, 01:43 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

So in the old days it was easier to run a lawyer out of town?
Old January 11, 1999, 04:45 PM   #6
Dakota Law Dog

I use a Marlin .45 Colt cowboy rifle. I have always preferred Marlins, and they have a smoother action from the factory. The Rossi 92s I have seen are really nice too, matter of fact some of my buddies shoot them and like them fine. Personal preference.
Old January 17, 1999, 01:15 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

4V50 Gary: In the old days they knew that were there only one lawyer in town he would starve to death. As soon as there were two, you had a conspiracy. Therefore, they always made sure they only had one.
Old January 20, 1999, 06:22 PM   #8
Hal

Winchester .44 Magnum. A pure pleasure to shoot, maybe too much pleasure in fact. A box of factory .44 Magnums disappears in pretty short order. Time to get the old press wound up.

------------------
A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined;
George Washington Jan 8,1790--There can be no doubt about the Second Amendment.

Old January 21, 1999, 03:23 PM   #9
El Chimango Pete

I have a Winchester 94 in 45 L Colt, a Ruger Vaquero and an Uberti in the same - and another Vaquero in 357. I opted for the 45 as closer to "historically correct" which it is not in the Winchester, but would give me a good defense round (better than the 44.40). I have other revolvers in 357 (a GP-100 is 'numero uno') but dont like the round much in a rifle. Now iv'e got to get me a shotgun... a 12 ga. coach gun would do fine, but Santa ran out of dough (or i wasnt that good) this year. alas.

------------------
Member NRA, Single Action Shooters, Muzzle Loaders, other clubs in Argentina. Cetified Firearms Instructor

Old January 25, 1999, 08:47 PM   #10
luckyned

I love my little Winchester Trapper in 44 Mag but got tired of dual loading- my pistols are 45 Colts. I bought a Marlin 1894 in .45 and now love it too.
Old November 20, 2005, 03:57 AM   #11
gdeal

Pistol Caliber Lever Actions

I would have to go with Remington because they make the best.
Old November 20, 2005, 07:48 AM   #12
Low Key

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, it's blast to shoot and people ask questions when they see me shooting it. Most lever guns around here are chambered for 30-30, so a pistol caliber lever rifle makes people curious.
Old November 21, 2005, 12:48 PM   #13
Big Cabin

I have 2 Marlins, 1 Winchester and a 357 & 44Mag Puma. I will keep the Puma's and sell the others, they are that much better IMHO. They are built on a 92' type action and will handle any heavy load you can stuff into it. They have never failed to feed or eject....totally awesome rifles and great looking to boot.
The American manufacturers need to learn a thing or two about how to deliver a smooth action to consumers. If you pick a Winchester, cycle the action. Pick up a Puma, (which is the old Rossi I am told), cycle the action.
The Winchester will feel gritty, stiff, and awkward. The fit and finish is also better on the Puma.
Yea, I know all the stuff about buying American. When Winchester and Marlin learn how to deliver a gun that compares well, I will go back to them.
By the way, I have an original 92' Winchester that is really smooth and shoots great. Too bad Winchester can't revive that kind of quality.
Old November 21, 2005, 03:12 PM   #14
Dave Markowitz

I really like my EMF/Rossi M1892 Short Rifle in .357 Magnum. Accurate, reliable, very little recoil. It's a hoot to shoot.