The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 1999, 07:45 PM   #1
JHS

Christmas present for my 12yr. old. Mossberg 20g. I think the reach will be too long. Has anyone cut down a stock? How? Measurements? Don't do it?
Old December 16, 1999, 06:06 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I have cut down a few stocks, but the Youth Express 20 ga 870 I got for my kids has a 12 1/2" pull thats eems to work OK with Daughter,5'4", but not Son,4'8" well. Time will change that.

You can cut it short and add a slip on recoil pad to lengthen it later if you wish..
Old December 16, 1999, 11:28 AM   #3
Ned Roundtree

One thing to remember is children grow so fast. Cut today and too long tomorrow. Butt stock in shoulder positioned to pull trigger. From end of butt (includes recoil pad) to middle of trigger is the measurement of reach/pull. Most guns seem to come about 14 to 14 3/4". Many youth guns around 13". Of course I am a 14 1/4" reach.But I usually get a nice Pachmayer recoil reducing pad put on at same time. Just think to yourself. In one year what is their reach going to be? Proper pull length can make all the difference in the enjoyment of shooting shotgun. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited December 16, 1999).]