The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 29, 2014, 01:29 AM   #1
ATN082268

Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical Shotgun

Although I will most likely get a pistol before a shotgun, I was wondering if anybody knew anything about the Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical Shotgun. Is it a good home defense shotgun?
Old January 29, 2014, 10:05 AM   #2
markm_04

I can't say much for the tactical version but I have an 887 Nitro Mag that I use for turkey hunting. It is not my personal choice for home defense but I would think it would definitely be worth considering as I assume you are. The shorter barrel makes for easier maneuverability and the "racking" sound of a shotgun would definitely be enough to make me make like a baby.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Beentown71

I use the full size version for my beat around waterfowl gun. Works great and handles all loads well. It has been neglected and beat for three years now.
Old January 29, 2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Waspinator

I looked into them when they first came out. I thought there was some issues with extracting shells or some such thing. I'm sure that issue has been addressed by now, so probably not even worth worrying over.

I never got a chance to fire one, but did handle a couple on different occasions. The "armor" all over the gun felt kind of cheap. I mean, I know there is metal under the "armor", but the tactile feel of the plastic just felt like cheap plastic. There again, subjective and opinions would vary person to person.

What I really did not like was the take down of this model. Was watching some feild strip videos on the 887 nitro tactical. There are so many little bits you have to remove just to get in to clean it. Looked like a pain in the butt if you ask me.

Also, when I was looking at these (2 years ago??.. can't remember) There was not much aftermarket stocks and such for them (the recievers are different from the 870, so you couldn't use 870 stocks without some modifications). Haven't looked into that since, so there might be aftermarket stuff out there now.. something you should look into.

A lot of people like them and swear by them.. so it must be a good shotgun, just not this guy's cup of tea. I like a simple pump action shotgun , such as s Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.