The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old June 19, 2016, 09:56 PM   #1
Cosmodragoon

The AR-15 Situation

As possibly the only gun owner who doesn't own an AR-15, I'm thinking about it. The Democrats are working at fever pitch in their terribly wrong-headed response to a recent act of terrorism. There is also a significant chance that the lady whose name was attached to the last rifle ban--a ban that saved no lives and made nobody any safer--will end up in the White House. I know we are all making calls, donations, etc. in order to prevent any such violations of our rights; but we need to accept that these things could happen.

So has anyone noticed increases in prices? How is availability at your local shops? What do the ammo shelves look like for .223, .308, etc.? Have you recently picked one up, or another one up if you already have one?

Also, please feel free to share any advice you have for people who are new to the platform or looking to get into it.
Old June 19, 2016, 10:00 PM   #2
Mike38

Quote:
As possibly the only gun owner who doesn't own an AR-15,...
Well, there's at least two of us.
Old June 19, 2016, 10:03 PM   #3
turtlehead

Now is a good time to buy. Prices are good. Panic hasn't started yet.
Old June 19, 2016, 10:11 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Ammo and rifle availability looks fine in my area.
There may be an increase in purchases of 'black' rifles, but not much from my point of view.

While I firmly believe in defending all gun rights, and will continue to do so...
I will admit, unabashedly, that if prices go through the roof again, you can bet your back side that I'll be unloading many (if not most) of my ARs.
Money talks, and if someone feels that the 20" .223 varminter that I built for $280 is worth $800, or if my $450 carbine will sell for $900, etcetera ... I'm doing it. And that's just the cheap stuff. If my more expensive/valuable options (like the 6x45mm) have a viable market at substantially increased prices, they would go too.

If I can turn a 100% or 200% profit on an AR, I'll be perfectly happy defending the new owner's right to keep it, while laughing all the way to the pile of lever-actions, bolt-actions, and scopes that I bought with the proceeds.
Old June 19, 2016, 10:41 PM   #5
FairWarning

I've noticed significant price increases as some websites, including PTR91.com, where the cost of their namesake is up by 20%!

Prices are NOT going down anytime soon, although not all have gone up....yet. You can still get some smokin' bargains, but who knows for how much longer....
Old June 20, 2016, 12:24 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Well, there's at least two of us
Make it 3!

I sold my last AR in the pre 94AWB panic. A $450 gun for $900! And I never replaced it. I've got .30s for serious work and a Mini 14 for a .223 blaster.

If you want one, get it now, before the next panic fully hits (its already starting). And while who is in the White House does matter, it is who is in Congress that matters MORE. Only they can make law, or stop laws from being made. The President can push, and can do SOME thing by executive order but cannot make LAW.
Old June 20, 2016, 12:35 AM   #7
tahunua001

ok first things first.
politics is a no-no outside of the subforum designed for such discussion. ragging on HillBilly is strictly not acceptable here in the firearms side of the board.

second. STOP!!!! every time there is threat of a gun ban every tom dick and harry goes out and starts by buying up all the scary guns, then they hoard all the ammo for said guns, then they start buying the next scariest guns and buy all the ammo for it as well. in the end, the bans never take place, prices skyrocket as people realize that they get to name their own price and then there is a giant spending bubble when the proposed ban gets shot down. stop buying into the hype, stop assuming that the most corrupt politician in american history is going to get elected because it has lady parts, and stop adding to the problem by spreading the hype.

now, to answer you questions. there are still ARs on the shelves of every gun shop in my area. there is still 223, 7.62x39, 308, and 22lr ammo on the shelves of every sporting goods store in town except for the 2 going out of business. and the AR15 I've been trying to sell for the last 3 months is still hanging out without any interested parties despite what I feel is a reasonable price and nice features... so there, the market in a nutshell.
Old June 20, 2016, 12:36 AM   #8
TXAZ

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 20, 2016, 07:21 AM   #9
9x19

No panic here, ample supply of ARs and ammo.
Old June 20, 2016, 07:44 AM   #10
odugrad

Visited a few shops in my area this weekend. No noticeable price increases and inventory is as good as it has ever been.

If there is a panic, I think we're a few months (at least) away from it.

That said, if you're interested in getting an AR, I wouldn't hesitate. You'll love them!
Old June 20, 2016, 07:58 AM   #11
pilpens

Several months ago, I bought a couple of AR lowers just in case they get banned in the near future. I just finished building one of them. The other lower will probably just sit in the safe for a while.
My next purchase would be some 5.56/.223 and a couple of magazines while prices are still low.
Old June 20, 2016, 09:14 AM   #12
Adizzle19

At least pick up a stripped lower. They're cheap and if you want to sell it you can't lose much. You just never know.
Old June 20, 2016, 09:53 AM   #13
T. O'Heir

Lots of people don't have or particularly want an AR-15.
"...Panic hasn't started yet..." Only because Congress is basically doing nothing but arguing. I'd be more concerned about the possibility that King Obama might decide to declare 'em too evil through a Presidential Edict as he goes looking for a new job.
Old June 20, 2016, 10:18 AM   #14
ATN082268

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
And while who is in the White House does matter, it is who is in Congress that matters MORE. Only they can make law, or stop laws from being made.
Please tell that to the unelected bureaucrats and judges
Old June 20, 2016, 06:43 PM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The word I've read is that sales volumes of ARs are up in many stores, but there are as yet enough available that the prices have not risen.

Consensus opinion at the moment is that the situation might well change during the last month or two prior to the election. I guess it depends on relative importance as an issue during the campaign. No telling what sort of event could occur to change the focus of the campaign.
Old June 20, 2016, 09:03 PM   #16
rickyrick

Since we can't mention parties, I'm gonna say the whole world is against one party's candidate (to include corporations and media), and only half the country hates the other (and is supported by the corporations and media), I can say that there's a fair shot that an antigun candidate will be in the White House in late January.....
I'd get one sooner rather than later
Old June 20, 2016, 09:07 PM   #17
Bozz10mm

Prices have gone up slightly, but I don't think we've reached the shortage stage. Now that all 4 gun control bills have failed, may not be a shortage until after the next election.
Old June 20, 2016, 09:35 PM   #18
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
And while who is in the White House does matter, it is who is in Congress that matters MORE. Only they can make law, or stop laws from being made.
Quote:
Please tell that to the unelected bureaucrats and judges
There is a factual issue here. Yes, the Constitution says certain things. However, for a variety of reasons that may reach beyond the scope of allowed discussion on TFL, those things are not always upheld by our government and "the people" don't always hold government accountable when they don't. The Executive Branch has taken plenty of steps without Congress on this and other issues. A notorious example is Operation Choke Point.
Old June 20, 2016, 09:50 PM   #19
Radny97

Well, I probably fell into the trap. I don't care that much for AR15s and they don't get me real excited but I decided to buy one this week essentially out of civil disobedience. I didn't have one but felt like I was so sick of the constant drum beat of a gun control lobby trying to make them illegal that I decided to vote with my feet and my dollars and get one. So I picked up a S&W M&P15 Sport II on a great deal. I'll be surprised if I shoot it more than 10 times but every time I see it in the safe I think I'll feel a little warm fuzzy that I somehow am sticking to the man and it won't be leaving my possession unless it's pried from my cold dead hands.
Old June 20, 2016, 10:00 PM   #20
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... I don't care that much for AR15s and they don't get me real excited but I decided to buy one this week essentially out of civil disobedience. I didn't have one but felt like I was so sick of the constant drum beat of a gun control lobby trying to make them illegal that I decided to vote with my feet and my dollars... I'll be surprised if I shoot it more than 10 times but every time I see it in the safe I think I'll feel a little warm fuzzy that I somehow am sticking to the man and it won't be leaving my possession unless it's pried from my cold dead hands.
... my thoughts exactly.
Old June 20, 2016, 10:38 PM   #21
turtlehead

Don't be surprised if it turns out to be your favorite rifle. Or at least your go to rifle.

If things ever got so bad that I needed a rifle right now, the AR is it.

And I learned to build ARs for the same reason listed above.
Old June 20, 2016, 10:43 PM   #22
tahunua001

maybe I can put this one to rest, just got an update today about what the 2 senators in my state have been up to. today 4 separate gun control related bans were introduced to the senate. my states senators flat out opposed the two usual suspects who proposed confiscation and banning and voted in support of 2 bills that would limit some guns to people who were under investigation(with due process), none of the 4 bills received enough support to advance.

so there you go. no more GC scares from this tragedy.
Old June 21, 2016, 07:34 AM   #23
sarge83

At my local shop the two Ruger AR's were gone from last Friday. There was a couple of bushmasters in the $650 range still on the shelf.
Old June 21, 2016, 07:54 AM   #24
Skans

If you don't have an AR-15 type rifle, you really should get one. Here are some reasons why:

1. It's the most versatile gun ever produced....ever!
2. Many Caliber combinations, if that's your things.
3. Many types of triggers and trigger systems, including the 2-shot systems, if that's your thing.
4. All kinds of magazines available including drums
5. It's one of the few guns where it's easy to swap barrels and parts.
6. You can easily buy enough of every part to permit the rifle to last many lifetimes even with lots of use.
7. It's rugged, dependable, light weight, accurate, and powerful enough to stop humans and put down small to medium sized game.
8. It (can be) the closest thing to full-auto you may be legally allowed to own for under $10,000.
9. If the doo-dads you decorate your AR with ever go out of style, then buy new doo-dads and redecorate.

My advice in choosing one:
1. Don't buy a really expensive one - you are going to want to configure it to your liking anyway.
2. Buy it in 5.56
3. Don't buy a piston AR for your first or only AR - not necessary and not as easy to support with parts down the road.
4. Buy enough large-cap magazines and ordinary 30 round magazines to last you for the life of the gun, which will be a long time.
5. Go ahead and assemble a spare parts kit while parts are cheap!
Old June 21, 2016, 08:12 AM   #25
stagpanther

This is a dangerous thread--but I'll try to make my comments as point on to the OP concerns as I can.

First off--if you've never cared for an AR before--I would not get one now just because of some anticipation of hysteria forcing them off the shelves. You'll end up either neglecting it in your safe or trying to resell it once you figure out you really don't want or need it. You could probably do better investing in shares of Apple stock.

On the other hand, If you really want to train with and shoot your AR and experience what a great weapon they can be--regardless of the political climate--then I would say by all means get one. AR's are far and away the most popular rifle in the US and the market for them and accessories is also far and away the top profit-making sector of the firearms industry--that's probably the real reason we'll never see a real ban on them.

Watching the political tradewinds shift on gun control it is becoming increasingly clear that neither Congress or the executive branch will go for a ban that challenges the 2nd amendment--BUT what is increasingly happening is the SCOTUS is turning back gun control matters to the states and allowing them leeway to place their own controls, several cases have been turned back--allowing them to be upheld by the states--just this year.
Closed Thread

Tags
ar-15