The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 17, 1998, 11:04 PM   #1
Rob Pincus

Anyone have any experience with the new Aimpoint Red-dot set up for M-16s/ARs ??
Old December 20, 1998, 06:07 PM   #2
Hilton

I've been using an Aimpoint Comp M with 3' dot on my CAR15 for a while now. It's robust, bright enough for bright sun, and holds/adjusts zero well. The flip up lens covers and safety wired adjustment caps are a nice touch for in the field use. Battery life is longer with these than with the older generations of red dot scopes. I was a Tasco PDP2 man for many years, but have converted to these excellent scopes. Nothing else comes close, as far as I'm concerned. Forget the C-Mores, they're a big disappointment.

I recommend the GGG ring mount, which includes a spare battery compartment. I'm looking hard at the Mark Brown mount, which Gunsite uses on their CAR-15 conversions. It leaves the A2/A3 rear sight assembly in place, with the scope & rail occupying the area directly in front of the sight. The carry handle is milled off. Neat idea for keeping down size and leaving iron sights in place.
Old December 20, 1998, 06:37 PM   #3
Rob Pincus

Hilton,

The latest Generation ARMS mounts are the way to go. The are quick release and top quality. I have never scene better scope mounts, especially quick release.
These are reportedly hard to find, but I have a source, let me know if you watn some. I think I can get them around $90, they also have high-risers if you need them.

I have been playing with the Bushnell Holosite on my CAR and I love it. It will probably be the site I use on my SBR flatop. Un-impeded field of view, both eyes open shooting and you can hold the gun under the plane of your eyes and still use the dot.

------------------
-Essayons