The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 21, 2004, 11:01 AM   #1
sumabich

Forum suggestions

Don, When I first joined TFL years ago we had lots of serious discussions and many of us learned the hard way that it is always best to type your response and revise several times before posting. In short, we had a very diverse crowd and you learned quickly to try and not offend people. But one thing I remember the most in the early days was the "fun". I'm pretty sure Sensop was the one who posted that "I'd smoke a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] in hell" for making him sneeze his drink through his nose and getting it on to his keyboard from a response I made to a post on a thread. I miss that and I never fail to get a smile when I think of it! Can we not have one forum thread that is just for fun and not necessarily gun related? One that is a little less heavy on the rules with a warning to all users reminding them of our diverse crowd and to "play nice". A thread to pass on a joke, or start up an outlandish topic (who was our member in Florida that always seemed to get into impossible situations involving alligators,critters and his neighborhood, that most of us felt were embellished?). The world has gotten so serious and I'd like to go back to some of the early day fun! Can you ask Rich and the other moderators what they think? Thanks for your consideration. Ken
Old August 27, 2004, 03:34 PM   #2
sumabich

Btt

Old August 27, 2004, 03:56 PM   #3
Jamie Young

It'll take some time before people lighten up and the fun comes back.

The start up of TFL was a little rocky and the election and war are taking its toll on some of us. It's nice to just talk about guns and that's why I'm here.

I'll ask everyone to wait until Sept 13th to start smiling again.

The party begins in 17 days.

Last edited by Jamie Young; August 28, 2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old August 27, 2004, 09:24 PM   #4
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

There are plenty of gun-related boards with off-topic forums. Glocktalk, THR and FFF come to mind.

I don't speak for the boss, but I'd be willing to bet that an off-topic forum at The Firing Line won't be happening any time soon.

-Dave
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old August 28, 2004, 12:35 AM   #5
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
One that is a little less heavy on the rules with a warning to all users reminding them of our diverse crowd and to "play nice".
I'd rather see us do away with any rules that are superfluous.

Ohhhhh, you're talking about the "must be firearms related rule". That one is not up for discussion.

Rich
Old August 28, 2004, 09:08 PM   #6
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Wait, I'm here, I'm here!

No, I don't think we'll be going off topic soon, but there are a lot of good places for it. THR, in particular, has pretty much the same crowd.

I would also add the Your American Backyard forums Fernando Coelho built as a good place for off-topic stuff on motorcycles, trucks, hot rods, fishing and the like.
Old August 30, 2004, 02:58 PM   #7
PsychoSword

I'm glad to hear that Rich.

Good old TFL.